Brazilian Raintree webs

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me Identify what these thin white webs are on my Tree?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20220617_011616.jpg
    20220617_011616.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220617_011524.jpg
    20220617_011524.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220617_010933.jpg
    20220617_010933.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 70

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No. I can't tell from the pictures what that could be.

The tree doesn't look happy though. The leaves are all closed up. Did you just move the tree or are the leaves not opening? How often do you water it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be hatched Lacewing eggs.

Got Aphids?

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This is a tropical tree that thrives in a hot humid environment.

Have you been trying to grow in indoors? It can't be done if you want the tree to thrive. You might be able to keep one alive indoors but even that is very difficult alive does not mean thrive.

Get the tree outdoors. Do some reading and try a vinegar soap solution in a spray bottle. The formula for mixing it is online. If it doesn't work try neem oil, but keep it in the shade for a while if you use neem oil.

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a tropical tree that thrives in a hot humid environment.

Have you been trying to grow in indoors? It can't be done if you want the tree to thrive. You might be able to keep one alive indoors but even that is very difficult alive does not mean thrive.

Get the tree outdoors. Do some reading and try a vinegar soap solution in a spray bottle. The formula for mixing it is online. If it doesn't work try neem oil, but keep it in the shade for a while if you use neem oil.
I Bought the Tree last month without looking it over properly. I rushed my purchase unfortunately. Its been outside all this time.
I have also watered it properly, letting it dry properly before watering again. I took some cotton swabs and made a mixture of 1 part water to 1 part rubbing alcohol. I applied the swab on the Trunk with the mixture and there was alot of sticky gunk with little tiny black dots and brownish dirt. The Trunk now is Green instead of Brownish like it was, after cleaning it with the Swabs. I also applied some Insecticidal soap after blasting the Tree down with water.

Anyhow I Defoliated the Tree as a last resort. Ill take it from there if it is strong enough and wants to live so let it be.
Thanks for your help guys.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Slow down and stop trying different things. Some of the predictions and advice in this thread are suspect or wrong. (They can live just *fine* indoors if they get enough light.)

Fortunately, BRTs are pretty tough. If you leave it alone, keep the soil moist but not sopping wet, and have patience, it will likely send out new little buds, then shoots. It may take a while. (Letting the soil "dry out" between waterings sounds like a good way to get crispy, dead leaves in my experience. Don't let it "dry out", though even that isn't likely to kill the tree.)

I had one sulk, leafless, for 6 months after a hard root pruning and then all at once start pushing new leaves.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plastic eating termites? 😄

New England Bonsai is having a BRT "seminar" this weekend. Re-pot your tree into a container with good bottom drainage.

Just tease out the roots, no cutting.

Will you be going down to the F1 race this weekend?

Last edited:

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I don't know where you bought your BRT from but I'm guessing it's somewhere tropical. Now it's in Canada. In addition you have something unknown causing issues.

Did you call whoever you bought it from and tell them what's going on with the plant? They may actually tell you.

I have several BRT's and I wouldn't repot right now when it's stressing as hard as it is.

You could send pictures to Wigerts bonsai nursery and see if they can tell you what's going on.

I would just leave it alone for a while. If the stuff in the photo continues I would spray it with neem oil. Read about it online. Leave it in the shade for a few days afterwards and then dappled shade for a few weeks.

Other than that I wouldn't repot or do anything other than what the seller or Wigerts suggests.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cold temps or dry roots. Possible with over-watered roots as well. But with these pictures, your soil is real open, not to mention the holes drilled in the container. "Dry properly"? Looks like that would need to waterings daily, what with the holes and all the leaves. These are water hogs!

Sounds like you got it close to home? It's been pretty nice in your location lately(besides yesterday!) doubt it's the cold.

Defoliating was not something I would have done. Better to have gotten it into a more suitable container. You have a root issue, doing nothing is, ya know, doing nothing.

Do you have any more of the same soil it's in now? Best to use it if you follow my suggestions.

In rare instances, these can get bug infestations. Mainly from poor horticultural practices. Proper siting and targeted watering are key. In our northern climate, shade is your enemy. Our sun is pretty mild compared to the rest of the continent. Much less intense. In my experience, good sun means less bugs and fungus. Healthy trees don't attract bugs and can resist fungal infections. Raintrees are the one tree I never use sprays or systemics. The leaves are pretty sensitive and things like oils and heavy insecticides really annoy the tender leaf.

Down into the 40's/rain last night(we get pretty much the same weather)
DSC01071.JPG

bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............. ;)

should I call Wigert's?🥴😄😄 Probably one of Eric's stock via Bonsai West 10 years ago. Cut the cord!!😬😬😬😬

Quicker you start growing "Le Raintree habitant de Quebec" and not some hothouse tropical, the happier you'll both be!:cool:

On a side note, my Father's Day "gift" was going to be an arduous repot of this tree.....it's soaked to the bone and it's just above 50....should be bone dry and ready by the time I get home after work tommorrow.....yeah?:(

Here is a link to a site https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=865a...698&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9hZGFtYXNrd2h5LmNvbS8&ntb=1 and yes, he's in Florida. Still, there are some thing you can find helpful if you look.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it getting enough water Mine drinks a lot and does thrive indoors in organic soil. It grows like a weed!!!

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you to all eyes,
and most of all your feedback. I went ahead with LanceMac10's recommendation of changing the pot,
and I slip potted it into a snug and the right size pot, in regards to the the root ball size, and holes of the pot on the bottom only.

The Original Substrate in the Tree is still in use is 1/2 (Diatomaceous Earth with clay granules, and 1/2 Pumice.
Moisture was never a problem. The Substrate Mix is in good shape. Its not long that I own this Tree.
When I slip potted I verified the lower trunk and took a peak around the roots. The bottom of the Trunk and main Tap Root looked like they have seen better days.
The tap roots exterior is slimy,an inner of the tap root is on the dried size, and the color of Tap Root is of brown as in root rot.

Also those little webs do not stop harassing this Tree, even after applying Safer's 3 in 1 Insectice per their recommendations, as in my pictures the tiny strands of webbing keep showing up. On the webs line, in my pictures you can see a small, and tiny speck of web which looks like a speck of fuzz, which is directly attached on the webs line. i looked really close and without any wind or air movement whatsoever, under good lighting you can see that the tiny speck of fuzzy web, attached on the webs line is moving, like doing a 180 upwards, and downwards slightly, movement is always constant, causing the webs line to minimally move up and down in return, as if there was the slightest of air movng to cause the reaction. It really is STRANGE :) I'm guessing whatever the Tree is plagued with , the plague in question has made a home for quite awhile upon discovering the poor health of the Root System. All my other Trees near the Brazilian RainTree in question are super healthy, and have not acquired any of these symptoms.

In the meantime I have acquired some Tortum Seeds, let's see how I could grow them out:) Ill keep you posted.

Maybe Sorce could let us know about that web's puzzle? I will Chew my left Ear👂...off, if Sorce could provide the credible answer 😁.

Sorry for all the long details, I just had to let my experience be shared.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@BonsaiMama take a white piece of paper, hold it under the tree and give the branches a gentle shake. Look at the paper. If you see little "bugs" the size of a period running around, try smudging one. If you get brown to reddish streaks from them, you have spider mites.

Would be the first time I've heard of them attacking a BRT but it's possible

Top Bottom