Boxwood buy at local bonsai show

@MGTT Buxus microphylla var. japonica 'Morris Midget' growth rate is .5 - 1 inch per year, same as Kingsville. I agree price is relevant to desire. I hope you enjoy yours it looks nice. I cant wait to see what you do with it.

@leatherback It was a nice looking tree, but I have always heard you should remove crossover branches, and that was what turned me off it. I also will just not spend that kind of money. I do enjoy looking at them and getting ideas for things to try. I seen one here in Florida That had been trained as a bonsai for about 50 - 70 years had a 4- 5 inch trunk and was a lot less expensive. I could have picked it up for $1500.00 back in the late 80s just was not into the time required. Now I am in my late 50s and black pines, trident maples, and elms might out live me but at least I can have fun with them.

Just checking, is Ken's World Ken Huth? I've bought several trees from him, including a kingsville boxwood in Columbus 3 years ago, a huge seiju elm this year... Great deals to be found with him!
B

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 20
Well, I think I should have followed @River's Edge advice more closely. I left the tree out in the Fall through a few frosts, and the leaves started turning yellow.

I put it in the warmest part of my unheated porch, but it didn’t seem to help.

I’ve a lot of fully yellow leaves, and a number that are progressing from green to yellow.

However there is some new growth showing.

I’m expecting a major ‘restyling’ will be required if it recovers.

I currently have it receiving about 8 hours of sun (and, yes, repotted this spring with minimal root work).

I’m thinking it will come in earlier in the fall, and will overwinter in my garage, which is probably 20f warmer than the porch - and the garage never gets to freezing.

IMG_2361.jpegIMG_2362.jpeg

I am also in Michigan and I have not had much luck keeping boxwood bonsai due to the harsh winter weather where I live. I have tried keeping them outside (fail), keeping them outside in one of those weather-protective plastic cones (fail), keeping them outside right next to the house foundation (fail), keeping them inside my unheated garage where they experience colder temps than freezing but still warmer than outside (fail). i have also noticed that some builders in my area use Boxwood for landscaping and very few survive.

Perhaps your tree will surprise you and pull through!

I appreciate the feedback.

Looking at it again today, there’s been noticeable degradation (yes, just over the course of one day!).

I’ll see how it does over the next few weeks - if it lives, I’ll over winter it in a garage that stays in the 40-55F range, and try to put it near a south facing window.

We’ll see.

Thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom