Boug How it started vs how it's going: Need advice!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I got these big bougies and they are all thriving buuut I need a vision going forward. I don't want to mess this big one up as I think it has potential if developed correctly. That's where you all come in! I will have more questions on the others later.

Sept 27 vs Dec 29
1703923774435.png

Oh here's a close-up of the bract color.

1703923978480.png

Nice!

I'll always stand on my own go-to. Google search images for inspiration. I then save images I like. Then I go back and study them more. Is there anything in the image I might apply to my own work. If so...great. If not I still was able to appreciate another one's work.

Sorry, I am a bit lazy (Fortunately not as lazy as the previous poster who basically recommends you to use google..) but well..

A quick "first image" that came to mind when I saw this plant. Does it make sense to look into this direction? Tilt, use the big main root as a trunk extension and then hope for some lower buds.

Ifrst priority would be to let it grow for a year or 2 to build some new roots.

1703944741091.png

Sorry, I am a bit lazy (Fortunately not as lazy as the previous poster who basically recommends you to use google..) but well..

A quick "first image" that came to mind when I saw this plant. Does it make sense to look into this direction? Tilt, use the big main root as a trunk extension and then hope for some lower buds.

Ifrst priority would be to let it grow for a year or 2 to build some new roots.

View attachment 522737
Gee.. that is my go to. So my go to...is invalid. Well that sure shows me. I still stand on it. Because that is my go to.

You give good advice.

But this is absolutely preposterous to say the way I glean information is wrong. I was given that advice years ago...and I still use it today.

I bow to you... since my advice was invalid. 🙂😉... naaaaah. I don't bow to anyone. But love how you tried and put me down. I still stand on how I do my own trees and glean knowledge.

Giggling...no hard feelings. I do respect your work. 😉

Gee.. that is my go to. So my go to...is invalid. Well that sure shows me. I still stand on it. Because that is my go to.
Sorry you take it this way.
I feel people come to a forum to get something more than google can give. "go google" To me is not an answer to a request for help on a forum, except for the most basic of questions. 🤷‍♂️

@milehigh_7 ... Clyde... you know I love ya...and I know...you also respect me. 😘 and we are Facebook friends.

I also would love to see you...in your work. To see you trust yourself. This information I gave...is how I grew to trust myself. Because...end of the day. I want to see you in your work. You aren't new to bonsai... you need to trust yourself more.

I want to see YOU in your work. It's time...to trust yourself my friend.

You know darn well. You do that...and still have questions. I'm always available to you. Make me proud. 😘

Last edited:
I think @Cadillactaste 's approach is perfectly valid, and often overlooked by folks here. It's not "google your question" but rather, "google images and study them". Or, if you have the resources nearby, find a permanent exhibit and study the trees you like. Or find a book with images of trees to study. But study good trees. It's just that most folks don't have great trees nearby to study face to face and have to rely on images, googled or otherwise.

Fact is not everyone has developed a natural eye for seeing the tree within the material and a little help from looking at other trees can go a long way.

I like the front in the first picture and the one Leatherback used in his vert

You give good advice.

But this is absolutely preposterous to say the way I glean information is wrong. I was given that advice years ago...and I still use it today.

I bow to you... since my advice was invalid. 🙂😉... naaaaah. I don't bow to anyone. But love how you tried and put me down. I still stand on how I do my own trees and glean knowledge.

Giggling...no hard feelings. I do respect your work. 😉
IMG_0382.gif

So, back to @milehigh_7 's original post, you seem to have quite a long stretch at the bottom before you hit limbs and foliage. Consider an air layer to get a more traditional twin trunk look?
I think I might like that idea! The cool thing is I can just saw it at the line and plant it as a cutting. I don't know if I even need to do a layer. However, if I do, I would likely get better root spread. Hum... Thanks for the input!!!

I think I might like that idea! The cool thing is I can just saw it at the line and plant it as a cutting. I don't know if I even need to do a layer. However, if I do, I would likely get better root spread. Hum... Thanks for the input!!!
True enough... I know Sam who used to post here is a Facebook friend now. [From Hawaii...had amazing bougainvillea]He used to do cuttings up to a human man's thigh in width. Timing I imagine the success found here.

And that base is worthy of keeping and working..in the photo with the pot. It does appear as the one mentioned.

You all are right, I've been at this for a minute and I likely have spent literal years looking at pics of trees I love. Bougs are not styled traditionally and it's not every day you get an 8" stump! It's a little intimidating I guess. I trust you all and the art you have shown me over the years and I fully believe that collectively you can see things that I might overlook.

True enough... I know Sam who used to post here is a Facebook friend now. [From Hawaii...had amazing bougainvillea]He used to do cuttings up to a human man's thigh in width. Timing I imagine the success found here.

And that base is worthy of keeping and working..in the photo with the pot. It does appear as the one mentioned.
Two of them that I have were literally cut with a sawzall and thrown in a trash bag at the curb for a couple of days. I brought them home, soaked them in water with a tiny bit of humic acid and a couple of dissolved aspirin. then I exposed green cambium and applied rooting hormone and boom. They are both about 2". 1703965400125.png

You all are right, I've been at this for a minute and I likely have spent literal years looking at pics of trees I love. Bougs are not styled traditionally and it's not every day you get an 8" stump! It's a little intimidating I guess. I trust you all and the art you have shown me over the years and I fully believe that collectively you can see things that I might overlook.
Then...I think images from all four sides to evaluate. With an understanding that 2D we lose a lot. But I think we sell the material short...by going from one view.

What I seen is it laying down. Which didn't offer me the perspective I would need. As clearly the potted tree is not as short and stocky as the one image of it laying on the side appears. We need 4 images...when you get time.

Two of them that I have were literally cut with a sawzall and thrown in a trash bag at the curb for a couple of days. I brought them home, soaked them in water with a tiny bit of humic acid and a couple of dissolved aspirin. then I exposed green cambium and applied rooting hormone and boom. They are both about 2". View attachment 522786
You clearly can easily root it then. I'm impressed!

Then...I think images from all four sides to evaluate. With an understanding that 2D we lose a lot. But I think we sell the material short...by going from one view.

What I seen is it laying down. Which didn't offer me the perspective I would need. As clearly the potted tree is not as short and stocky as the one image of it laying on the side appears. We need 4 images...when you get time.

Still not great pics but maybe gives a better idea of what I'm working with. Lots of junk in the background like my lemon tree...

1704160812711.png 1704160832714.png 1704160849062.png 1704160868768.png

Absolutely nothing wrong with using google images for ideas and inspo. More often than not youll stumble upon trees with similar forms, good trees. Why not use all the resources at your grasp. 'Tap in' as they say
I dont even think the virtual opens up your mental capacity that much, as its just a reduction of whats currently there.

Back
Top Bottom