Bonsai trailer

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice purchase! Fold down shelves might be nice! 300lb capacity.
View attachment 386782
I hate you. Now I REALLY want folding shelves! lol.

Let's say I got the 16" brackets you're suggesting. According to the internets, shelves shouldn't overhand the brackets by more than 1/3 so I could do a shelf 21" wide. Is that sufficient for most trees?

I had originally wanted to do support legs to reduce stress on the sidewalls but with the E-track system and the studs every 16" anyway it should be stable enough.

Thoughts?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate you. Now I REALLY want folding shelves! lol.

Let's say I got the 16" brackets you're suggesting. According to the internets, shelves shouldn't overhand the brackets by more than 1/3 so I could do a shelf 21" wide. Is that sufficient for most trees?

I had originally wanted to do support legs to reduce stress on the sidewalls but with the E-track system and the studs every 16" anyway it should be stable enough.

Thoughts?
You could drill multiple 1" holes in your sheves to run bungees through to secure the trees during transit. Also if you use 3/4" ply for the shelves keep the brackets at 24" invervals. Wider than that the shevles will sag if you put anything heavy in between the brackets.

You figured out anything on the AC unit?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I told you we have big plans for your rig. I think they would. Maybe not do folding shelves on the bottom shelf and make it wider for your big ones.

I took some measurements and pretty much every tree I own would fit on a 21" shelf. I could always place a heavier tree on the floor. It's not just me, though, eventually I thought it would be nice if I could help local folks get their trees to the show.

You could drill multiple 1" holes in your sheves to run bungees through to secure the trees during transit. Also if you use 3/4" ply for the shelves keep the brackets at 24" invervals. Wider than that the shevles will sag if you put anything heavy in between the brackets.

You figured out anything on the AC unit?

I was going to put eye hooks down for bungee cords but I could also go with wire shelves or resin shelves for more tie-down points. With wood, though, I could also make a lip as well as put down a rubber mat or rubber coating to reduce slippage so right now I'm leaning towards wood shelved.

One of the nice things is that I will be able to easily reconfigure the trailer. I could use folding shelves for one trip and then plywood shelves across the trailer on another depending on need.

AC unit is a future upgrade next year or the year after. I've already spent a LOT of money on this trailer and need to chill a bit. lol

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The big question is, regardless of what I want what do folder shelves really bring to the table? I can do fixed shelves more easily and for less money. Taking it a step further my dad suggested not doing all mounted shelves at all but instead just get regular standing shelves and strap them to the walls. I'm worried about stability there.

I like the idea of folding shelves because I feel like you could reconfigure in the middle of a trip. I'm struggling to come up with an example of where that would be beneficial, though...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The big question is, regardless of what I want what do folder shelves really bring to the table? I can do fixed shelves more easily and for less money. Taking it a step further my dad suggested not doing all mounted shelves at all but instead just get regular standing shelves and strap them to the walls. I'm worried about stability there.

I like the idea of folding shelves because I feel like you could reconfigure in the middle of a trip. I'm struggling to come up with an example of where that would be beneficial, though...
Go with the folding bracket. You'll thank yourself later when you need space and fixed brackets are in your way.

Home Depot has them cheaper I believe......if you're a Veteran and service connected you can get an additional 10%.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Go with the folding bracket. You'll thank yourself later when you need space and fixed brackets are in your way.

I agree but don't forget, these are going to be mounted on e-track so can be removed either way. That's what I meant about being able to reconfigure mid-trip. With fixed shelves I can easily remove and leave them at home. With folding I could have shelves while outbound and no shelves while inbound.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just remembered I have another decision to make and this one is more or less permanent. What height to mount the e-track?

The inside height of the trailing is 6'5".

If I split it into thirds I'd put one rail at 24" and the second one at 48". That seems awful low for the first one to me.

If I raised the first one to 36" and put the second at 60" I'd still be able to fit a 17" tall plant on the top shelf.

I think I need to do mock-ups.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I think I like this one. This mock up has the lower shelf at 30" and the upper shelf at 54".

trailer wall.jpg

I also took some pictures of the e-track with the 2x4 supports.

I could just flat out use 2x4s as the supports for the shelves...

2021-07-19 19.38.44.jpg

Or flip the 2x4 vertically and use either fixed or folding shelf supports. In this orientation the shelf support would mount to the edge of the 2x4.

2021-07-19 19.39.00.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Using those I dont think you will need the drop down brackets.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Using those I dont think you will need the drop down brackets.
I’ve changed my mind and now am planning to go with fixed shelves like you’d put in your garage yet affixed to the etrack. Will be sturdier.

And yes, lights are a must. It came with two LED lights and I’m supplementing with a 1500 lumens LED lantern (I like the idea of being able to move it around and even outside if I need to.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok cats and kittens, I need some advice.

I've decided that I'm going to go with freestanding shelves. Now that I understand "trailer bounce" a little more I'm worried that shelves strictly wall mounted will bounce too much. So, I'm going to get freestanding shelves and use the e-track to secure them.

I believe I have three options: wire, resin, and metal.

Wire shelves like this are my least favorite but they are strong, lightweight, easily adjustable, and have lots of places to tie down plants with straps.

wire.PNG

I do like plastic shelves for being very lightweight and having lots of spots to tie-down plants. These two options can't have the self heights adjusted, though. The first one is stronger but the shelves are closer together. The second one isn't quite as strong but the shelves are higher which would accommodate a taller plant.

resin 1.PNG

resin 2.PNG

Then, of course, are metal shelves. Heaviest but strongest. They don't really have any points for strapping down plants, though I could probably add hooks to the metal shelf edges. The second one even has a lip, which is something I wanted as an added security function to keep things from sliding (like if I was putting boxes on the shelves and wasn't strapping them down.

metal 1.PNG
metal 2.PNG

I think I have a favorite but I'd like to get input. If you were transporting your favorite tree, which one would you trust the most? The least?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, so, I went to Menard's 95% sure I was getting the Maxit plastic rack but willing to look at the metal racks, though the one with the lip that I liked best was a special order item not available until October.

I ended up calling an audible because I really liked the metal rack with wire shelves and the shelves are reversible to give me the lip I wanted! Plus, while 300 pounds per shelf is nice, 1,000 pounds per shelf is even better!

Capture.PNG

Today we got the rails installed and two shelves built. It turns out with a six foot wide trailer and these shelves are two foot wide I only get a 24" aisle so I'm putting two big ones on the left wall and taking the third one back to exchange for a thinner one for the right wall.

Not the best pic because my dad photobombed it...

2021-07-31 17.54.03.jpg

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's done! It only took a month thanks to the rain, heat, and misc. stuff going on. I took it on a test run and the trees I had in it did just fine!

2021-08-15 15.11.26.jpg2021-08-15 15.11.34.jpg2021-08-15 15.11.45.jpg2021-08-15 15.11.51.jpg

I had originally planned to put shelves here as well but it ended up with too narrow of an aisle. I can also put 2x4 brackets on both sides and lay a sheet of plywood across them if I want to add an entire level.

2021-08-15 17.39.58.jpg

Two sets of racks in place. They ended up being very secure!

2021-08-15 17.50.39.jpg

One of the things I liked about the metal shelves was that the shelf height is adjustable. I have about 24" on the two lower shelves and 17" on the third one. This top shelf doesn't have much clearance but can be used for storage. I also have room for the spare tire, two bags, two baskets, and my garden cart. Lots of floor-space for more plants or cargo, too!

2021-08-15 17.51.10.jpg

I bought two of the baskets but really was after the E-track clips they are using. One day I'll probably use those clips for larger baskets. I also have room on that rail to add a third one if I want.

2021-08-15 17.51.13.jpg2021-08-15 17.51.19.jpg

There's a duffel bag for misc. stuff to get it off the floor and the heavy-duty toolbag has straps and E-track clips in it. The spare tire is also clipped to the lower E-track.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wanted metal mesh shelves because it gives me the flexibility of lots of places for tie-downs. I'm using velcro cinch straps to secure the trees.

2021-08-15 18.00.29.jpg

The cinch straps are very secure and I can use bungee cords, too.

I can overhang cascading trees with ease.

2021-08-15 18.00.35.jpg

2021-08-15 18.00.43.jpg

This tree is over 24" tall and fits just fine.

2021-08-15 18.15.45.jpg

These straps are great for securing different sizes and shapes of pots. I took it for a test run, including driving over three sets of railroad tracks, and it performed flawlessly!

2021-08-15 18.16.09.jpg

Top Bottom