Bonsai trailer

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey you guys (and gals!) check out my new bonsai trailer!

View attachment 386711View attachment 386710View attachment 386709View attachment 386708

I plan to use it for doing workshops, shows, picking up liner stock, etc. as well as lots of other things. I've never owned a trailer before so I'm a happy camper today. lol.
Nice combination, will prove to be very useful. if using for shows and leaving overnight while unattended, think about locks and immobilizers.
Spare tire and rim is nice to have if you travel distances. Unless it happens to match the tow vehicles rim and tire sizes.
next step for me would be to plan how to install tie down secure points or rails for corners and part way up the walls.
Congrats.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice! A trailer like that would disappear overnight if the tongue was not locked. Make sure you get yourself a good lock for it.
Yep, already Got one on it!

Nice combination, will prove to be very useful. if using for shows and leaving overnight while unattended, think about locks and immobilizers.
Spare tire and rim is nice to have if you travel distances. Unless it happens to match the tow vehicles rim and tire sizes.
next step for me would be to plan how to install tie down secure points or rails for corners and part way up the walls.
Congrats.
Oh yeah locking for sure. Already have a ball lock on it and am finalizing my decision on hitch lock and hitch latch lock. Padlocking all the doors of course. You can see the spare tire/rim in the pic.

I bought eight 10’ sections of e-track which I’ll be mounting after I coat the inside wood with deck seal. That will give me dozens of spots for tie-downs and I also bought wood beam brackets for the e-track so I can mount shelves via 2x4s.

A future upgrade will be to add an air conditioner and heating unit.

For now I’ll mostly be using it to go to shows, workshops, and other events. I bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee this year figuring I’d have plenty of space for all my shit but the last workshop I did I was overloaded and couldn’t haunt it all. That will no longer be an issue! Lol

And hopefully some day I’ll have big trees worth hauling to Nationals but I’m still probably gonna take it to Rochester this year just ‘cause. 😂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't put anything on trailer about bonsai, that would be an open invitation to thieves.
I am thinking a sign saying something like, animal proteins, medical waste, or even the bio-hazard sign. Although I am not sure the last one would be very welcome in some places like going through tunnels.
You have to out think the crooks. Years back I had a garden that was raided by individuals nightly. I lightly dusting the garden with corn starch one time and the culprits never came back.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How big is the trailer? 9'x5'?

I know you can buy small ac units for RV trailers that mount up on the roof. The only issue would be figuring out how to run the power to them from the car.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, already Got one on it!

Oh yeah locking for sure. Already have a ball lock on it and am finalizing my decision on hitch lock and hitch latch lock. Padlocking all the doors of course. You can see the spare tire/rim in the pic.

I bought eight 10’ sections of e-track which I’ll be mounting after I coat the inside wood with deck seal. That will give me dozens of spots for tie-downs and I also bought wood beam brackets for the e-track so I can mount shelves via 2x4s.

A future upgrade will be to add an air conditioner and heating unit.

For now I’ll mostly be using it to go to shows, workshops, and other events. I bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee this year figuring I’d have plenty of space for all my shit but the last workshop I did I was overloaded and couldn’t haunt it all. That will no longer be an issue! Lol

And hopefully some day I’ll have big trees worth hauling to Nationals but I’m still probably gonna take it to Rochester this year just ‘cause. 😂
I put down a second floor layer of plywood for additional strength, weight distribution and ease of repair. I was concerned about damage from heavier objects when hauling. The trailer was used for a wide variety of things. The additional layer on the floor was really handy. I never had to worry about securing to the floor. Now of course this depends on the base unit, perhaps yours has a much thicker floor to begin with. My unit was well built but I felt the floor was not as robust as I would have preferred.
I did not glue it down as it was meant to be easily replaced when needed. Just screwed down.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was my first thought. It the very least it needs ventilation.

It actually does have ventilation. There's a vent on the side pointing forward and then another one on the opposite side pointing back. As you drive this lets air flow.

Don't put anything on trailer about bonsai, that would be an open invitation to thieves.
I am thinking a sign saying something like, animal proteins, medical waste, or even the bio-hazard sign. Although I am not sure the last one would be very welcome in some places like going through tunnels.
You have to out think the crooks. Years back I had a garden that was raided by individuals nightly. I lightly dusting the garden with corn starch one time and the culprits never came back.

I'm going back and forth. I get the security part but I also want to have my logo on it! I will be locking the shit out of it either way.

How big is the trailer? 9'x5'?

I know you can buy small ac units for RV trailers that mount up on the roof. The only issue would be figuring out how to run the power to them from the car.

6'x10' and I was looking at this...

But I have no idea how I'd power the bloody thing. I thought I could draw power from my vehicle but the guy I bought the trailer from said no.

Nice purchase! Fold down shelves might be nice! 300lb capacity.
View attachment 386782

Those are nice but they'd need to fit into the e-track I bought.

If the side walls can support the weight he could use removable plywood shelves the width of the trailer to make another floor and pack it full of plants!!!!!

I am considering two options.

First, I bought this e-track kit:

Capture2.PNG

And these 2x4 supports to lock into the rails:

Capture.PNG

So, the two options are:

#1 Take the easy route and put a support on each wall of the trailer then place a 2x4 across the width of the trailer. This would let me put full width shelves in. They'd be strong and supported by both side walls. However, would block the inside of the trailer. Another downside is the door would prevent putting shelves towards the nose and you're supposed to have most of your load towards the nose.

#2 I could use the supports in the rails and use a shorter length of 2x4 that's just the depth of the shelf then I'd be able to run shelves the entire left side of the trailer and half the right side. I'd then have an aisle down the middle to easily reach all plants. I do not want the entire weight of the plants on one wall, though, so I'd add support legs down to the floor. Or do that for the bottom row of shelves and do a higher row supported just by the side walls for smaller plants.

I put down a second floor layer of plywood for additional strength, weight distribution and ease of repair. I was concerned about damage from heavier objects when hauling. The trailer was used for a wide variety of things. The additional layer on the floor was really handy. I never had to worry about securing to the floor. Now of course this depends on the base unit, perhaps yours has a much thicker floor to begin with. My unit was well built but I felt the floor was not as robust as I would have preferred.
I did not glue it down as it was meant to be easily replaced when needed. Just screwed down.

Not a bad idea but I do have 3/4" plywood as my floor so I think it'll be ok once I seal it.

We have BIG PLANS for your trailer. :D :D:p

I'm glad! Makes it more fun for me and gives me ideas. :)

Nice

I second the no bonsai logo on it.
No need to make it a target for thieves

You guys are no fun. Probably right, but no fun. lol

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

But I have no idea how I'd power the bloody thing. I thought I could draw power from my vehicle but the guy I bought the trailer from said no.
Well.....it's possible all depends how much you are willing to invest and if it's really worth it.

I took a look at the link. The unit has three loads......

Air conditioner power draw (while running): 15 amps @ 120V = 1,800watts
Compressor power draw (while running): 9.9 amps @ 120V = 1,188watts
Fan motor power draw (while running): 2.6 amps @ 120V = 312watts

Air conditioner will need a 2000watt inverter
Compressor will need a 1500watt inverter
Fan motor will need a 500watt inverter

You will most likely need to add another battery to your car and run it in parallel to ump the amperage so there's no competition with your car's electrical system. But then you have to consider if your alternator is big enough to charge the additional battery. It could burn out prematurely due to the additional load (working harder than it was designed for)

It's possible, but will require modifications/work to make it become reality.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just noticed the BTUs of that ac unit, for a trailer the size of yours you can definitely use a unit with less BTUs. It would cut cost a bit and may require a bit less power to operate.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just looked at that unit prompted by Pitoon's comment. That is a lot of BTUs. I use 12,000 to cool 900 square feet of my house upper floor. You could go with a much smaller unit, especially if you insulate which is the first thing I would consider before I started building out shelves and such. Using solid foam sheeting you could have in insulated in 2 or 3 hours. An air conditioner of 3,000 BTU would do the job and 5,000 BTU would be more than adequate. Insulation would also make heating a breeze.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Cable this link might give you some ideas.....looks cheaper too.

Top Bottom