Bonsai Pots - Glazed vs. UnGlazed

I recently had the unique experience of hosting Kakuzan from Tokoname for one week here in Oregon. We did workshops for the Bonsai Society of Portland, made pots in my studio, and I drove him sightseeing from the mountains to the ocean. I mention this because he is the head of the potters collective in Tokoname which oversees 83 potteries. He is also drinking buddies with the head of the clay co-op in Tokoname, so he knows everyone's clay secrets. So over hours and hours of driving I asked about every potter's custom clay, where it comes from, what goes in it, the problems with it etc etc. For example, Gyozan's clay is not entirely from Tokoname and there is a reason for this. All the nitty gritty and potter drama. Just one interesting tidbit is he experiments with re-firing other potter's pots to learn the maturation temp of glaze and clay. His study group even re-fired and destructively studied an antique Chinese shirocouchi pot. Crazy stuff. I'm currently working on some new clays and glazes with the knowledge learned.

Back
Top Bottom