Bonsai Nurseries in San Jose CA area?

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, my fiance is taking a business trip out to the area and will be there between March 14-21st. She knows I am obsessed with bonsai and California seems to be the mecca with all of their nurseries. I know Grove way nursery and Boon are in Hayward, but Grove way doesn't seem to be open on Sunday's when she may be able to search around for me. Lone pine, Lotus, Maruyama, and Jim Gremels Deer Meadow seem to be about 2hrs one way from San Jose, that's a bit much for her. I did find this link for events http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/events/ not sure if the SF show would be worth showing up for, there is one in Santa Cruz but she would have to stay an extra day if you guys think it's worth it. Anyone in Cali with any suggestions for places relatively close to San Jose that I may not be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Chris

I envy your opportunity and can't wait to here what you decide. Bring money and ship them back. :D and take lots of pics to post. I would love to go and buy only great prebonsai stock to have around to work on. East coast to west coast equals trees at 1/4 of the price. You should fly down and use her free hotel to look around during the day. The cost of the plane flight would be worth the savings and wonderful experience even if you do not buy anything.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about doing that when she travels to Southern California in June. I've already started doing research and I think it's mandatory I hit Chikugo en and Fuji nursery with Roy Nagatoshi. I may not make it out there for this Northern California trip she's taking.

Chris

Shoot my wife gives me the eye if I say its a nursery and just that I have to be wise on what I buy lol, join her if you can because only you can pick your likeness in what would be future great trees...

I'm thinking about doing that when she travels to Southern California in June. I've already started doing research and I think it's mandatory I hit Chikugo en and Fuji nursery with Roy Nagatoshi. I may not make it out there for this Northern California trip she's taking.

Chris
I've been to Fuji nothing worth getting because of price IMO, now heck yes on chikugo-en he has the best meterial in this area and if you're looking for something special ask cause he has more in the back which is off limits to public.

What type of material are you looking to buy? Or are you sending her with just a camera?

Well the camera and maybe a specimen I could not find that easily out here on the east coast. Maybe a large grapevine stump, Large cork Oak, Sierra/Cali Juniper yamadori, large pomegranate, Large olive, etc....nothing specific in mind, just kinda sending her on a west coast easter egg hunt lol.

Chris

Well the camera and maybe a specimen I could not find that easily out here on the east coast. Maybe a large grapevine stump, Large cork Oak, Sierra/Cali Juniper yamadori, large pomegranate, Large olive, etc....nothing specific in mind, just kinda sending her on a west coast easter egg hunt lol.

Chris

Dennis Vojtilla was at the GSBF BGLM fundraiser this year with a ton of medium-sized grapes for sale. They were all wired but I don't think he sold many of them. They were nice trees but I don't think grapes make good bonsai personally. I think he's in Oregon now though for some reason. I didn't talk to him when I was there.

As for the BSSF show - I doubt that any of the material you seek will be on the sales table there. Our show is more a public outreach than a bonsai shoppers paradise. The majority of the people who see the show are gardeners and appreciate bonsai but don't pursue the habit. I've never been to the Santa Cruz show because it overlaps with our show. They have John Thompson this year as demonstrator so it can't be all bad. He's good and has good material.

In San Jose I'd tell you to contact John or Peter Tea. There are no quality nurseries there that I know of. You'd have to contact Boon to see if he'd allow your fiance to visit. He has a pretty strict rule about strangers visiting the yard. Of all the sources he's probably your best bet for high quality material if your serious about buying. I know he has large olives, not sure about pom's, no doubt he has large juniper yamadori, high quality pines. He recently acquired a large older collection that he's been selling off in pieces.

Gremel is equally good in terms of quality but as you say he's about a 3 hour drive from San Jose.

Cheers,

Eric

I live near San Jose and there aren't really any bonsai stock nurseries around here. I buy stuff online from Brent up about 2.5 hours north of me or Chris up in Oregon.... If I had more time away from little kids I'd drive up to Lone Pine in Sebastapol or try to visit Brent at EG or Jim Gremel. You'd think there would be more right around here but there's really just regular nurseries...
Ian

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Seems like around San Jose not much in the way of bonsai nurseries, but that's okay. I'll just plan on visiting the southern California nurseries when she fly's out to LA, I know they have a few down there.

Chris

Yes. Southern CA nurseries have a tendency to empty my "fun/hobby" funds pretty effectively, not that i"m complaining :)

You can PM me when a trip to the region is in the horizon, I can provide a list, and/or update this thread with the info

-Vince

In the LA area there are a bunch- from the airport off the 405 south a few miles is Gray Ishi at Chikugo-en in Gardena. If you go north from the aiport on the 405 in order there are Yamaguchi in W. LA, me at Kimura Bonsai in Northridge, Roy Nagatoshi at Fuji Bonsai in Sylmar, House of Bonsai in Lakewood- actually Orange county but close enough is south and east of LAX. A little further west off the 101 is California Bonsai Studio. These are your best bets and all are different from each other.

Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai is having it's 26th annual show on 3/22 & 3/23. Just hop on HIGHWAY 17 an come to Santa Cruz. Check out the announcements on the home page of b'nut. It's only a 30 to 45 minute drive from San Jose. We'll have all kinds of plants for sale. Anyway just an idea. Pete

If you're staying in the Bay Area only, I'd definitely check out Grove Way Bonsai Nursery in Hayward. Johnny Uchida has some great trees!

Here's an update on the thread. She ended up finding a small nursery out in San Jose and bought me this California juniper. The gentleman who sold it to her did not speak English very well so I attached pics for reference/identification help. I'm not sure if it's California Juniper or maybe another type, any positive Id's would be great. I repotted it as it was in bad soil and he said he had owned it for 7 years and never repotted it. The tree stands about 3ft tall and I am considering grafting shimpaku on to remove the native foliage, not certain yet. The tree only has this one small live vein that spirals around this awesome dead trunk.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 38
Here are some more pictures of the awesome deadwood detail. Also another pic on his metal cart where he had all these trees. He told her when he bought tree that it had been collected a long time ago in the desert. The tree also looks like it's been in training for awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg