Bonsai Mirai email

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vance,
I have to agree with you on Ryan's artistry. Some of his recent posts about his recent trips to local nurseries in search of bonsai potential were eye opening. His commentary on the what's and why's were spot on and shows his attempt at appealing to all levels of skills.
The fact that he is attempting to teach and serve at either level demonstrates to me his sincerity to advance, and elevate his art.
If he tries to make a buck on the way, who are any of us to wag a finger?
Regards,
Leonard

I dont know what to think about Ryan, he has a knowledge and expirience but the way he runs the presentation and talks it reminds me the sort of corporate training. I dont know why thats the way i take him, Bonsai corporate!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dont know what to think about Ryan, he has a knowledge and expirience but the way he runs the presentation and talks it reminds me the sort of corporate training. I dont know why thats the way i take him, Bonsai corporate!

I suppose someone who has put a lot of effort into being an effective and enthusiastic communicator is an oddity in the world of bonsai professionals ?. I get what you’re saying, but I got past it and now I appreciate that he knows how to put words together to convey ideas.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I think to effectively run his business (of educational bonsai streams) you have to be organized or you will last a year, at most. You will repeat topics, or miss things, or ramble. I appreciate the organization, because it makes referencing the material afterwards much easier. After a couple of years now, it is difficult to go back and refresh your memory on something you remember seeing, but can't remember when.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Mirai Live videos are a great resource for the masses to learn from. They are very well put together videos, and as @Bonsai Nut said it makes it very easy to go back and rewatch videos.
Ryan has also done an amazing job with his brand! It seems like Mirai has a very committed followers, all around the world.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've taken three workshops with Ryan. If you are in an actual workshop or demo with him in person, you might have a different take than watching stuff on YouTube.

Where I think he really shines in that he doesn't just say "do X, do Y." He goes into the science, etc. behind why you should do X and Y. If you understand the first principles, I think it makes you understand bonsai techniques a lot better than just do X and Y because that's the way the Japanese have done things for hundreds of years.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to make it clear lads,
I do appreciate what he is doing, i watch his videos and i learns a lot, he has a lot of knowledge a not only bonsai but general horticulture and he explainst hings the way you can understand, giving examples and showing right way to perform it.
But the way he does it reminds me big corporate, the language he is using and his behavior, that's all what im saying.
Maybe he is different in person and he acts a lot in front of the camera, i dont know and probably will never know as i have very little the chances to meet him:( but never say never....:)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But the way he does it reminds me big corporate, the language he is using and his behavior, that's all what im saying.
I'm still not exactly sure what you mean by this. He has developed a very professional camera presence, at least that's how I'd describe it. Very comfortable and confident (maybe too much at times). Not sure that I'd call that big corporate though.

There's always Nigel Saunders if you don't want "corporate"!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its all good in the hood, i watch both guys, and learn from both.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
For a few dollars you can watch a very adept professional explain & visually demonstrate a wide range of bonsai techniques in a media that is as close to 3D without actually being there in person. This resource can be accessed instantly and repeatedly and is as close to it can get to 'bringing it to the masses'. While economically driven I genuinely think Ryan wants everyone doing bonsai to be better & more knowledgeable using his streams. Kimura is a great artist but a shit educator. Ryan has a desire to be both.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sneaked into one of his in-person classes once when he was in the area. His approach in that class was individualized to the tree and the owner. He doesn't come off as "corporate" (and I know what you're talking about--I've worked for a few big corporations in their PR depts. tuning executives on how to communicate on camera). I don't know if he's had formal "media training" but I'd bet he has, just from the way he presents things and explains them relatively quickly and accurately.

In any case, I don't fault him for that on camera presence. If you're charging what he does for his high end video classes, I'd expect world class camera presence. I would have BIG doubts about someone who mumbles and perambulates, hems and haws "Uh, um, err", followed by a p-a-u-s-e, then a BIG p-a-u-s-e as the presenter decides WTF to say takes up time and is burning up your subscription $$...

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
In any case, I don't fault him for that on camera presence. If you're charging what he does for his high end video classes, I'd expect world class camera presence. I would have BIG doubts about someone who mumbles and perambulates, hems and haws "Uh, um, err", followed by a p-a-u-s-e, then a BIG p-a-u-s-e as the presenter decides WTF to say takes up time and is burning up your subscription $$...

He has come a long way presenting on his videos. His Q&A's are a more informal and have a natural flow to his responses. However, his formal video presentations are sometimes difficult to watch. He has some pet words like "totality" that he uses instead of "uh, um, etc". He has a lot of knowledge and glad he shares (for a monthly subscription that I gladly pay).

Top Bottom