Bonsai Empire vs Bonsai U

mathias

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm currently trying out Mirai, but I'm mostly interested in learning about japanese maple, where Mirai is more focused on conifors. Does Bonsai Empire or Bonsai U have more content about deciduous trees or specifically Japanese maple?

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going to take a break from my Mirai Live sub and try something new. I see the Bonsai Empire courses featuring Bjorn recommended on here quite a lot, and I'm considering the intermediate ones. I'm also interested in Bjorn's subscription service, which I hear people like, though perhaps find the amount of content to be not near what Mirai Live has.

My main frustration with Mirai Live is that it seems challenging for beginners--not that I hate a challenge!--especially in terms of collecting information into a consistent system. This seems to be one of the appeals of the Bonsai Empire courses. I think I have gone through almost all of the more straight-forward "tutorial" type videos, as opposed to the streams, which tend to be more about following what the trees need. I also really appreciate that you get lifetime access to them, compared to the subscription models.

Would love to hear from people who have tried both, especially if you also have experience with Mirai Live.
I was looking into Bonsai U and Bonsai Empire after having a Mirai subscription for 6 months. Which Bonsai Empire course did you end up purchasing out of curiosity? There are numerous intermediate courses.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm currently trying out Mirai, but I'm mostly interested in learning about japanese maple, where Mirai is more focused on conifors. Does Bonsai Empire or Bonsai U have more content about deciduous trees or specifically Japanese maple?

I've wondered the same thing. I'm mostly interested in growing trees native to my area, which means I'm growing mostly broadleaf deciduous trees. Unfortunately, a lot of bonsai content seems to be catered toward Japanese black pine and shimpaku junipers. They're fine, I guess, but they haven't captured my interest. At least Japanese maple content would bring me closer to what I'm interested in growing.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good stuff in this thread. A few weeks ago Oscar asked me to review his new course, which was taped with Kimura on my channel. If you have not seen it:

As for
I'm rezamokhtary from Iran and I love bonsai as you but we don't have visa and master card because we are in Iran so I want to ask you can I have the empire bonsai course
Maybe reach out to bonsai empire directly?

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
The course has streaming content, so there is no such thing as a movie. BUT Mirai offers many videos for free. For example, they have an entire beginner's course for free on YouTube:

can I order my knowledge status please… reading though this thread feels a lot of confusion:

Eisen Bonsai/Bonsai-U - Bjorn
Mirai - Ryan
Bonsai Empire - don’t know… might be featuring Bjorn/Ryan as many channels do but it’s a different owner

Did I get this right?

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Bonsai empire is owned by Oscar. He involves many different artists in building the content of the website. Must be an article or two from me on there. Latest was to get Kimura to do a masterclass.
Thank you… Oscar… I missed his name… I know he has a lot of celebrities coming. Keep’em coming! :)

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone done any classes from Bonsai En? I don't see a lot of Joshes stuff mentioned on the forum?

Top Bottom