Bonsai beginner first project: oak and field maple seedlings

ThomasvO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EU8
Hello there!

I was recently intrigued by the art of bonsai and suddenly I started seeing beautiful little trees everywhere during my walks.

Didn't really know how to start with the hobby, so I just started reading a lot and taking in the information.
Then a few weeks ago I started seeing oak and maple seedlings popping up in places I knew were going to be cut down by public servants soon.

So in a fit of absence of mind I saved these seedlings from Big Landscaping and now they are in my backyard...

Maybe I did the wrong thing uprooting these guys in September, but I found info online that some people take seedlings whenever they see them and just try to protect them as much as possible from death by their owner's stupidity.
I got all of the root balls and in the case of the oaks the acorns too. The big one I'm not so sure if I got all of the roots but I think so. There were a lot of other plants growing around it.

I have no real gardening experience besides cutting back a few hedges, but I enjoyed taking in the scientific info on bonsai and more in general the biological workings of plants regarding the balance of water and oxygen, etc.
So I'm ready to learn but inexperienced.

Please give me feedback and you can call me stupid if you explain why ;)
These are native species so of course they will live outside, in either my back or front yard.
Backyard is southwest-facing and has more sun from late morning well into the afternoon, front yard has morning sun for a few hours and afternoon shade from about 1pm.

The plan is to try and get these seedlings to survive winter. Most important goals first.
It has been tropical weather in my area for the last few days (around 28-30 degrees Celsius/82-86F) but autumn is coming!
I'm located in coastal Northwestern Europe (zone 8?).

First I will slowly let them get used to more sunlight. The seedlings have been in mostly shade since they sprouted, where I found them they were towered over by much bigger trees.
I want to give them an hour of direct sunlight in the first week. See how they fare..
Then I want to give them an hour more each week until they can get a more permanent home in the east-facing front yard where they'll have 3-4 hours direct sunlight.

And in winter I'll try to protect them from frost either by taking them inside (garage) or keeping them in the garden in an open outhouse we have (protected from wind, hail, etc.)

Do you think I can keep these guys alive over winter? This would make me very happy, but I'm prepared for disappointment as well.
I'll try my best and with a little help we might succeed!

So anyway, that was my introduction. My name is Thomas btw and I'm pleased to meet you.

4 eik en 4 esdoorn 7-9-23.jpgsamen in een bakkie.jpegiets grotere esdoorn.jpeg

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Add your location to your profile so you can get advice based on your climate. I assume you know these are deciduous trees so they need to go dormant in winter. I would keep them in a place that gets cold but protected like a garage or shed. As far as if it’s dumb to grow these trees it’s all about what you expect. If you expect a nice bonsai in 5 years that won’t happen but if you just want to have fun and will enjoy just working with them, and improving them then I think you can’t go wrong.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seems like a good place to grow trees. I wouldn't worry too much about the winter. Just keep them healthy until they lose their leaves like everything else.
It looks like you have organic soil so you shouldn't need to water very much. You will learn quickly about bonsai soil but that is fine to start with and learn from.
Welcome!

Kevin1968

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome!

I Did the same but in my yard, 6 southern live oaks I will likely never see se them completed but still fun to play with. We will see down the road. Moving to ground area in late winter for some what faster growth.

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpeg
    IMG_4435.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4436.jpeg
    IMG_4436.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 24

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the nut house! 🤪 as stated above a location added to your profile helps greatly in our ability to give advice…. But.. every nut has to start somewhere and as long as you give proper care I don’t see why your little seedlings shouldent make it. Trees are very resilient in the first years of life.

ThomasvO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EU8
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I added my location to my bio now, so it should be visible to everyone.

Add your location to your profile so you can get advice based on your climate. I assume you know these are deciduous trees so they need to go dormant in winter. I would keep them in a place that gets cold but protected like a garage or shed. As far as if it’s dumb to grow these trees it’s all about what you expect. If you expect a nice bonsai in 5 years that won’t happen but if you just want to have fun and will enjoy just working with them, and improving them then I think you can’t go wrong.
Yes I know they need to go dormant. I even read that the wood (and therefore the tree) will get softer and weaker when they don’t experience cold. So the protection I want to give them is only for freezing, because they are so little and in small pots.
And I’m not expecting anything. This project might be a test for myself to see if I can keep these trees alive before I continue and get bigger/more expensive trees. If any of these survive, they will have been with me since the beginning. I might only get a nice bonsai from them in 30/40 years but I’m a patient man. I still have that time left on my clock (I hope).

Seems like a good place to grow trees. I wouldn't worry too much about the winter. Just keep them healthy until they lose their leaves like everything else.
It looks like you have organic soil so you shouldn't need to water very much. You will learn quickly about bonsai soil but that is fine to start with and learn from.
Welcome!
I’ve read about bonsai soil and what the differences are when you use organic vs inorganic soil. What I use in these small pots for these seedlings is mostly the ground in which they were growing (it’s a heavy clay soil) and I filled up empty spaces in the pot with potting soil mixed with pine bark. (I hope I did right by keeping them in the original soil, the idea for the filler mix of compost and bark for seedlings I got from a video by Herons Bonsai).
You say I shouldn’t have to water very much and that’s what I’m seeing right now: if I stick my finger in the soil the clay still feels sticky 1cm below the surface (half an inch). Even though it’s been 3 hot days since I watered them (quite heavily) on the day I dug them up.
So my guess is that I need to water them once a week, but I will keep using the method of sticking my finger in the soil to feel. I think the clay will get very hard once it dries, while it’s obviously sticky now.

Welcome!

I Did the same but in my yard, 6 southern live oaks I will likely never see se them completed but still fun to play with. We will see down the road. Moving to ground area in late winter for some what faster growth.
That’s awesome! I hope your little ones will do well! Planting and caring for a tree is not always something you do for yourself and to see the end result for yourself. One of the reasons I wanted to get these trees is that my niece was born this July. I don’t know if she will enjoy trees when she gets older, but if any of these seedlings survive she might have some great native trees to choose from in a few decades. And if I learn about bonsai now I might be able to take her on the journey while she’s growing up.

Welcome to the nut house! 🤪 as stated above a location added to your profile helps greatly in our ability to give advice…. But.. every nut has to start somewhere and as long as you give proper care I don’t see why your little seedlings shouldent make it. Trees are very resilient in the first years of life.
Location added! And thanks for the reassurance.
I know killing plants with love is very common so I’m trying to be strict.

I will water them as described above (feeling if the soil is dry) and only protect them from hard freeze.
I don’t yet know if I need to fertilize them during their growing season when they’re this small. The organic soil should contain enough nutrients, right?

The challenge will first be to keep them alive and next: how and especially when I should start working on them.

Thanks for all the great responses! I feel welcomed and I know a place to go with my questions now.

Last edited:

ThomasvO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EU8
Question: what is this white stuff, mildew?
It looks like fungus.
And do I have to worry about this/treat it?

Only the oak trees seem to be affected (for the moment)

I’ve read mildew is not deadly for plants excepts for fruit trees. And to wait until the new growing season to see if the fungus returns.

What do you think and would it help to place the trees in the sun longer to bother the fungus? They’re on one hour direct sunlight a day right now.

Attachments

• 48D9D0F6-987B-4C95-95AC-DD6056E16118.jpeg
    48D9D0F6-987B-4C95-95AC-DD6056E16118.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
  • EC448F26-B141-4AD5-8743-1090303E6BCE.jpeg
    EC448F26-B141-4AD5-8743-1090303E6BCE.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 36F6EA32-69C8-4FAD-B3E3-C8D100E956BC.jpeg
    36F6EA32-69C8-4FAD-B3E3-C8D100E956BC.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 15

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Question: what is this white stuff, mildew?
It looks like fungus.
And do I have to worry about this/treat it?

Only the oak trees seem to be affected (for the moment)

I’ve read mildew is not deadly for plants excepts for fruit trees. And to wait until the new growing season to see if the fungus returns.

What do you think and would it help to place the trees in the sun longer to bother the fungus? They’re on one hour direct sunlight a day right now.

My oaks have also been dealing with powdery mildew this year. A topical fungicide should clear it up.

Top Bottom