Bleeding Japanese Maple (Myth?)

TrevorLarsen

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry if this video has already been discussed I could not find anything.

I just watched this video from @leatherback and I found it very informative and just thought more people should see it. (Assuming there are one or two people on this site that aren't already subscribed to his channel.) He really is one of the best on YouTube and on here.

I'm not sure where the whole question of "bleeding" bonsai first came up. Perhaps it is because bleeding due to minor pruning, like what @leatherback is doing here, is very different from bleeding in a mature tree - where the bleeding may have been caused by serious injury or disease and could indicate a serious problem. In both cases we are talking about bleeding being the result of something happening to the tree - and when you know the cause is minor pruning, it is not cause for concern.

I just watched this video from @leatherback and I found it very informative and just thought more people should see it. (Assuming there are one or two people on this site that aren't already subscribed to his channel.) He really is one of the best on YouTube and on here.
Thx Trevor!

serious injury or disease
Indeed. Did that come across in my video? I am talking about regular pruning and bleeding not being an issue. (although considering the way the municipalities have started pruning the trees again in late winter, one could wonder whether on mature trees, post- major pruning bleeding is an issue)

At the beginning, when I started to work on Japanese Maples, I was very careful about the "problem" of bleeding, so I started to pruning at the moment of leaves fall. Going on in the years, with the increase of number of Maples (unfortunately the time to dedicate to trees is always the same), I'm pruning starting in November and ending in February when I repot. So now "bleeding" is not a so big problem to me, and I've not noticed a risk of injuries or disease in the moment that you disinfect tools before pruning, use a copper spray on the cut before applying cutpaste (this Is the way I do).

Indeed. Did that come across in my video? I am talking about regular pruning and bleeding not being an issue. (although considering the way the municipalities have started pruning the trees again in late winter, one could wonder whether on mature trees, post- major pruning bleeding is an issue)
I know YOU know this - I was just pointing it out as a possible source of the rumor that ALL bleeding in maples is cause for alarm.

It is one thing if a tree owner is the cause of the bleeding (and they know why). It is entirely another if a maple starts bleeding when the owner HASN'T done anything to it. Usually it is a cause for concern... which could lead people to think that ALL bleeding in maples is a cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom