No Bleeding - Problem?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a few plain vanilla Japanese maple trees that were set for a trunk chop. The first one bled profusely, even after root work. I got around to chopping another last night (no root work needed) and there was no bleeding as far as I could tell. I was able to get the green paste on no problem (this was impossible with the first one). Is this a tell-tale sign of a problem?

P.S. whoever advised me that bonsai is a relaxing hobby clearly was not a bonsai practitioner.

Bonsai can be much better if you don't go looking for problems where there may not be any.
Probably the best advice received. BTW, when I got home last night there was some sign of bleeding on the trunk.

If there's anything that can be learned from my hair-brained experiments I'll share - This is my first spring with trees so I really had no idea what to expect (or do). As there was little to no bleeding on this guy after the chop (and because I'm absolutely impetuous), I wanted to see what effect an increase in temperature would have on the tree. So I placed it in a sort of outhouse that has been in the 60s (I figured it has no leaves so needs no sun right now). After a few days, it was as if a sap spigot was turned on. It's been bleeding nicely ever since. We should be in the 60s next week and I will bring the tree back out. I've otherwise only brought it out for a bit to water.

and.. How did the trees do in the growing season after
I frankly don’t remember which trees these were. I’m guessing they didn’t make it for one reason or another.

Back
Top Bottom