BIG & small

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With all this talk about handling large bonsai... I figured it's time to share mine. I'd like this to be another picture thread... So please post your smallest and largest trees! :) No need for pictures to post, but if you got em share em. ;)

I'll start us off with a (kifu...?...jk!!!) large bunjin.
This ponderosa was collected early this spring and didn't grow much at first. But it did put on some growth the second half of the summer. :) If all goes well I'll be in the market for a large Bunjin pot! -- I may use it as a yard tree, but I think a really big bonsai would be more fun.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bigger pictures

2013-05-16144244_zps9ca5facc.jpg

2013-05-16144300_zps1586891c.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With all this talk about handling large bonsai... I figured it's time to share mine. I'd like this to be another picture thread... So please post your smallest and largest trees! :) No need for pictures to post, but if you got em share em. ;)

I'll start us off with a (kifu...?...jk!!!) large bunjin.
This ponderosa was collected early this spring and didn't grow much at first. But it did put on some growth the second half of the summer. :) If all goes well I'll be in the market for a large Bunjin pot! -- I may use it as a yard tree, but I think a really big bonsai would be more fun.

This is a classic example of rotating the tree to find something totally different. The one pic looks like a skinny, lanky tree. Then rotate it to the second pic and it has a ancient, sturdy look to it. Nice tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple small ones. Left; shishigashira and right; mountain maple.

Attachments

• DSC_00470001.JPG
    DSC_00470001.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 97

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While not particularly tall it does have a pretty fat trunk. About 24 inches tall.

Attachments

• DSC_00500002.JPG
    DSC_00500002.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 114

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are a couple small ones. Left; shishigashira and right; mountain maple.

Nice ones Al. Are both true twin trunks or placed together?

Dan, wonderful and impressive ponderosa. Ya gonna need some REALLY thick wire for this one!;)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Great tree Dan! It would make an awesome bunjin, or in a garden. I'd opt for the bunjin, the movement is fantastic.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No need to worry about needle length on that Pondy! Wonderful trunk, by the way.
Agree, that's a great way to get around the needle length issue. Can't wait to see that tree evolve.

Chris

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Very Nice!!! Please tell us the story of collecting this big pine?! thanks Dan

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love those little ones too Al, especially the Mountain maple.

Not to much of a story on the pondy... Besides packing it out 3.2 miles on my back.?..lol. Not really! Actually there was an old access road ("two-track") about 30 yards from the tree. And I had my collecting partner Steve there to help. Convincing him that I wasn't kidding about wanting to collect it is another story though! -- It had a very compact root mass except for one large root so we pried rocks away and cut the root. I added a wall inside the box it's in so that the tree only fills just under half. The rest is regular aftercare, prayers and crossed fingers.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool little pine Anthony!

Your other tree is great too Al! I'm trying to remember what it was... Pyracantha? Beautiful regardless. :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guy is about 4 ft tall. Work in process. Had no limbs two years ago. Chopped from 25 ft tree. 12 inch base. Came in 200 gallon nursery tub. A bit heavy.
image.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I might have to try one of these sometime. I'm not sure they would love Wyoming that much though...

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Some very nice trees! Can you post sizes when nothing for comparison is on the picture.
I shall post later. I have only tiny ones.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Biggest I have. My ugly trunk Chinese Elm..Around 30" tall.IMG_20130815_203036_516.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom