Best soil?

junhee

Seedling
Reaction score
I want to make sure I don't get the wrong soil for my Nana Juniper. I know there are "bonsai mix" premade soils, but I'm not sure if they're all equal in quality.
I want to find something cost-effective in particular if possible.
This Juniper is an outdoor bonsai in Connecticut. Connecticut has cold winters and hot summers. Which means fluctuating temperatures depending on the season- From cold enough to snow, to above 90 degrees.
Best (and preferably not costly) soil for this weather and tree type?

Oh boy… the BIG question. Good luck!

New England Bonsai Garden is probably not far from you and they carry smaller bags of all purpose bonsai mix and will be able to offer guidance for your specific climate as well.

The standard 1:1:1 Akadama, Pumice, Lava mix is good for most junipers in most climates.

Oh boy… the BIG question. Good luck!

New England Bonsai Garden is probably not far from you and they carry smaller bags of all purpose bonsai mix and will be able to offer guidance for your specific climate as well.

The standard 1:1:1 Akadama, Pumice, Lava mix is good for most junipers in most climates.
Thank you for the information!

I like Bonsai Jack’s universal organic soil mix for most of my trees. You can also get your own “custom” mix from them or just buy individual components.

But it depends on many factors!

I like Bonsai Jack’s universal organic soil mix for most of my trees. You can also get your own “custom” mix from them or just buy individual components.

But it depends on many factors!
Thank you for the suggestion! :)

I grow my non-prebonsai juniper in a mix of perlite, sifted saf-t-sorb(turface), and some crushed pine bark and pea gravel. If you can find pumice (kind of hard on the east coast) replace the turface with that.

You can adjust the ratio of perlite to turface to suit watering needs with an increase in turface holding a bit more water. This is a cost effective mix you can buy in bulk quantities.

Premixed bonsai mixes will also work if you only need small quantities for a single tree. Pumicr Akadama Lava is the gold standard.

I grow my non-prebonsai juniper in a mix of perlite, sifted saf-t-sorb(turface), and some crushed pine bark and pea gravel. If you can find pumice (kind of hard on the east coast) replace the turface with that.

You can adjust the ratio of perlite to turface to suit watering needs with an increase in turface holding a bit more water. This is a cost effective mix you can buy in bulk quantities.

Premixed bonsai mixes will also work if you only need small quantities for a single tree. Pumicr Akadama Lava is the gold standard.
Thank you for the informative answer!

Calcined clay or Napa 8822 or fullers earth from Floor Dry (sifted) I’ve used all three in different mixes and have all three in my mix now to some degree. One of those is just fine. Calcined clay preferred. About one part.

I’ve added lava rock red and black. About one part each.

Orchid potting bark and/or pine bark (I think I have fir bark in there too). The smaller the better. About half part.

Pumice and/or perlite (medium sized or sifted). Pumice preferably. About one part.

And some sand with no salt (all purpose — not beach sand). About 1/4 part.

My trees have been happy with my mixes, but my watering has had to increase due to it being fast drying — especially in this crazy heat. Now I’m looking for something else to add to it to help retain a bit more moisture.

Fast draining and water retaining is what you want. Should be able to squeeze the mix in your hand without being able to crush through it or squeeze water out.

If I had to choose any one premix, though, it would be Tiny Roots All Purpose.

Good luck!

Calcined clay or Napa 8822 or fullers earth from Floor Dry (sifted) I’ve used all three in different mixes and have all three in my mix now to some degree. One of those is just fine. Calcined clay preferred. About one part.

I’ve added lava rock red and black. About one part each.

Orchid potting bark and/or pine bark (I think I have fir bark in there too). The smaller the better. About half part.

Pumice and/or perlite (medium sized or sifted). Pumice preferably. About one part.

And some sand with no salt (all purpose — not beach sand). About 1/4 part.

My trees have been happy with my mixes, but my watering has had to increase due to it being fast drying — especially in this crazy heat. Now I’m looking for something else to add to it to help retain a bit more moisture.

Fast draining and water retaining is what you want. Should be able to squeeze the mix in your hand without being able to crush through it or squeeze water out.

If I had to choose any one premix, though, it would be Tiny Roots All Purpose.

Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions and information!

Be careful with 8822 in juniper or pine mix. It is water retentive - not liked by the species.

All decent substrate for bonsai has water retentive properties and junipers very much like water, just not like that of bald cypress. If you included only non-water retaining substrates in your mix, you'd be watering like a mad man. But junipers adaptable, to a degree.

The size of the substrate is arguably just as much an issue as the substate itself. The larger the particle size equals less water-retention capacity and more aeration capacity.

Based off this study:

Their findings:
Organic Substrates
  1. Coconut Coir: 129g @ 14.57% loss
  2. Compost: 26g @ 31.58% loss
  3. Pine Bark: 22g @ 33.33% loss
  4. Commercial Peat Moss: 6g @ 40% loss
Inorganic Substrates
  1. Diatomaceous Earth: 37g @ 30.19% loss
  2. Akadama: 22g @ 26.67% loss
  3. Kanuma Pumice: 22g @ 29.03% loss
  4. LECA (Turface): 30g @ 36.17% loss
  5. Vermiculite: 28g @ 41.67% loss
  6. Perlite: 14g @ 36.36% loss
  7. Sand: 12g @ 67.56% loss
  8. Lava Rock (Scoria): 4g @ 76.47% loss
  9. Expanded Shale: 2g @ 84.62% loss
  10. Granite Chips: 1g @ 94.44% loss
24-hour Retention Rankings

Organic Substrates:
  1. Coconut Coir
  2. Compost
  3. Pine Bark
  4. Commercial Peat Moss
Inorganic Substrates:
  1. Diatomaceous Earth
  2. Akadama
  3. Kanuma Pumice
  4. LECA (Turface)
  5. Vermiculite
  6. Perlite
  7. Sand
  8. Lava Rock (Scoria)
  9. Expanded Shale
  10. Granite Chips
Akadama, lava rock, and pumice (2:1:1 ratio) is commonly suggested as the 'gold standard' for juniper and other bonsai.

For the sake of this study, Akadama is one of the most water retentive of the substrates next to Napa 8822 (diatomaceous earth) -- and so is pumice. With a 2:1:1 of akadama, lava rock, and pumice, with water retention at ~ 61% water retention with ~17g weight.

Another, popular, cheap method is sifting Napa 8822 or Floor Dry, mixed with half perlite and 10 percent pine bark. 1:1:0.10 ratio, equaling ~ 67% water retention with ~ 25g weight.

The amount of water retained by both are acceptable. So long as it is a fast-draining substrate that retains water for the roots to stay moist and to allow air in for roots to breathe, it's really the same. The only thing that would change is frequency in watering and esthetics.

Though, the confounding variable in this study is the particle sizes not being measured, only its weight was. Common substrate mixes are not mixed together at different ratios and then measured. Also, the measurements are taken in only one environment and for only one day out of the year -- not to mention it didn't show any bonsai being grown successfully in the substrates.

But if the particle size is increased, the water retention and air capacity are then altered. Fine particles can clog the soil, drowning or suffocating roots, while too large particles might lead to insufficient water retention and roots drying out. A balance between water retention and aeration is essential and an even finer tweaking can help with watering frequency.

Roots need to breathe, they need moisture, and the soil needs to be fast draining for both those things. There are too many mixes to go over, but pine bark and Napa 8822 don't retain too much water for a juniper to grow in. Too many people have been successful with it and not by chance. Perhaps the ratio or particle sizes are to blame if someone has had a bad experience with this mix with their junipers -- among many other confounding variables, e.g. tree health/genetics, environmental stimuli, fertilizers frequency and quantities, watering habits, human error and neglect.

Akadama, lava, and pumice has been used for some time -- tried and true -- yet more expensive.

As requested, a cost-effective alternative, a mix of perlite, pine bark, and calcined clay (Napa 8822) can be used to great effect -- also tried and true, as many have resorted to this mix over recent years.

In the end, experiment for yourself and make adjustments as needed.

They have 'soil wars' here. It's usually a hot topic.

All decent substrate for bonsai has water retentive properties and junipers very much like water, just not like that of bald cypress. If you included only non-water retaining substrates in your mix, you'd be watering like a mad man. But junipers adaptable, to a degree.

The size of the substrate is arguably just as much an issue as the substate itself. The larger the particle size equals less water-retention capacity and more aeration capacity.

Based off this study:

Their findings:
Organic Substrates
  1. Coconut Coir: 129g @ 14.57% loss
  2. Compost: 26g @ 31.58% loss
  3. Pine Bark: 22g @ 33.33% loss
  4. Commercial Peat Moss: 6g @ 40% loss
Inorganic Substrates
  1. Diatomaceous Earth: 37g @ 30.19% loss
  2. Akadama: 22g @ 26.67% loss
  3. Kanuma Pumice: 22g @ 29.03% loss
  4. LECA (Turface): 30g @ 36.17% loss
  5. Vermiculite: 28g @ 41.67% loss
  6. Perlite: 14g @ 36.36% loss
  7. Sand: 12g @ 67.56% loss
  8. Lava Rock (Scoria): 4g @ 76.47% loss
  9. Expanded Shale: 2g @ 84.62% loss
  10. Granite Chips: 1g @ 94.44% loss
24-hour Retention Rankings

Organic Substrates:
  1. Coconut Coir
  2. Compost
  3. Pine Bark
  4. Commercial Peat Moss
Inorganic Substrates:
  1. Diatomaceous Earth
  2. Akadama
  3. Kanuma Pumice
  4. LECA (Turface)
  5. Vermiculite
  6. Perlite
  7. Sand
  8. Lava Rock (Scoria)
  9. Expanded Shale
  10. Granite Chips
Akadama, lava rock, and pumice (2:1:1 ratio) is commonly suggested as the 'gold standard' for juniper and other bonsai.

For the sake of this study, Akadama is one of the most water retentive of the substrates next to Napa 8822 (diatomaceous earth) -- and so is pumice. With a 2:1:1 of akadama, lava rock, and pumice, with water retention at ~ 61% water retention with ~17g weight.

Another, popular, cheap method is sifting Napa 8822 or Floor Dry, mixed with half perlite and 10 percent pine bark. 1:1:0.10 ratio, equaling ~ 67% water retention with ~ 25g weight.

The amount of water retained by both are acceptable. So long as it is a fast-draining substrate that retains water for the roots to stay moist and to allow air in for roots to breathe, it's really the same. The only thing that would change is frequency in watering and esthetics.

Though, the confounding variable in this study is the particle sizes not being measured, only its weight was. Common substrate mixes are not mixed together at different ratios and then measured. Also, the measurements are taken in only one environment and for only one day out of the year -- not to mention it didn't show any bonsai being grown successfully in the substrates.

But if the particle size is increased, the water retention and air capacity are then altered. Fine particles can clog the soil, drowning or suffocating roots, while too large particles might lead to insufficient water retention and roots drying out. A balance between water retention and aeration is essential and an even finer tweaking can help with watering frequency.

Roots need to breathe, they need moisture, and the soil needs to be fast draining for both those things. There are too many mixes to go over, but pine bark and Napa 8822 don't retain too much water for a juniper to grow in. Too many people have been successful with it and not by chance. Perhaps the ratio or particle sizes are to blame if someone has had a bad experience with this mix with their junipers -- among many other confounding variables, e.g. tree health/genetics, environmental stimuli, fertilizers frequency and quantities, watering habits, human error and neglect.

Akadama, lava, and pumice has been used for some time -- tried and true -- yet more expensive.

As requested, a cost-effective alternative, a mix of perlite, pine bark, and calcined clay (Napa 8822) can be used to great effect -- also tried and true, as many have resorted to this mix over recent years.

In the end, experiment for yourself and make adjustments as needed.

They have 'soil wars' here. It's usually a hot topic.
Thank you for the extensive information! I will look into it :)

Sorry I'm going to have to disagree with 2:1:1. Aladama : pumice : lava for conifers.

Most use 1:1:1 of those for conifers as has been recommended by Boon, Ryan Neil, Bjorn, Suthin ( who is in CT btw) and others for years, and 2:1:1 for deciduous

I use 1:1:1 for my pines and juniper and I water once a day here in NY and 2x if it gets above 90

Last edited:
Sorry I'm going to have to disagree with 2:1:1. Aladama : pumice : lava for conifers.

Most use 1:1:1 of those for conifers as has been recommended by Boon, Ryan Neil, Bjorn, Suthin ( who is in CT btw) and others for years, and 2:1:1 for deciduous

I use 1:1:1 for my pines and juniper and I water once a day here in NY and 2x if it gets above 90
I did a quick search on the ratio before writing my last post. For the record, I don’t use akadama. I think the 2:1:1 ratio is for deciduous, so that’s my mistake.

But the ratio wasn’t so much my argument, rather that pine bark and Napa 8822 could be used, as well as a great many other things, and, also, that particle size also matters as well as ratio. More than one variable is at hand for a successful mixture, and there are many, many viable options.

This seems all very over complicated for a juniper. Bonsai Jacks universal or their conifer mix is a very easy solution. But I might add, you don't want to be doing this now. Spring would be best, but late summer to early fall will often work fine.

I did a quick search on the ratio before writing my last post. For the record, I don’t use akadama. I think the 2:1:1 ratio is for deciduous, so that’s my mistake.

But the ratio wasn’t so much my argument, rather that pine bark and Napa 8822 could be used, as well as a great many other things, and, also, that particle size also matters as well as ratio. More than one variable is at hand for a successful mixture, and there are many, many viable options.

Yes 2:1:1 is for deciduous.
I just wanted to post the correct the ratio for conifers in case the OP wants to use APL
Yes other things can work too. I understand sourcing APL (at least locally) can be hard particularly on the east coast since that is where I live.

Finding Turface/Napa 8822 is even harder for me. I have never seen it for sale anywhere near me. The only pine bark found locally is huge chunks for landscaping mulch at Home Depot/Lowes that I would need to somehow grind down to a smaller size anyway. Too much work and I dont have a grinder.

I can usually find plenty of APL online and usually find the deals if for some reason I couldn't get it at one of the east coast shows and I need to order it. So that has actually turned out to be the easiest thing, just order it.

When I started and I didn't want to pay for "dirt", I tried using locally collected sand and pea gravel. It wasnt a good idea. It stayed too wet contrary to what I believed, the roots didn't really grow into it because it was too dense and it made my training pots wwwwaaaayyy too freaking heavy to carry around. Someone finally convinced me to try APL and I've never looked back. Trees loved it and its much lighter in the pot.

Yep, soil can be expensive but the way to counter that is not go crazy with too many trees. Keep only as many as you can take care of both time wise and expense wise with things like soil.

Yes 2:1:1 is for deciduous.
I just wanted to post the correct the ratio for conifers in case the OP wants to use APL
Yes other things can work too. I understand sourcing APL (at least locally) can be hard particularly on the east coast since that is where I live.

Finding Turface/Napa 8822 is even harder for me. I have never seen it for sale anywhere near me. The only pine bark found locally is huge chunks for landscaping mulch at Home Depot/Lowes that I would need to somehow grind down to a smaller size anyway. Too much work and I dont have a grinder.

I can usually find plenty of APL online and usually find the deals if for some reason I couldn't get it at one of the east coast shows and I need to order it. So that has actually turned out to be the easiest thing, just order it.

When I started and I didn't want to pay for "dirt", I tried using locally collected sand and pea gravel. It wasnt a good idea. It stayed too wet contrary to what I believed, the roots didn't really grow into it because it was too dense and it made my training pots wwwwaaaayyy too freaking heavy to carry around. Someone finally convinced me to try APL and I've never looked back. Trees loved it and its much lighter in the pot.

Yep, soil can be expensive but the way to counter that is not go crazy with too many trees. Keep only as many as you can take care of both time wise and expense wise with things like soil.
Oddly, I had trouble finding Napa too. I happened to come across it two states away. It was thicker than expected, and in a good way.

But, I think purchasing online is where we’ll find most the substrate — at least for your and my areas, it seems. Maybe a group buy in bulk at a bonsai club could be helpful too. Mine is doing it in the fall.

When I saw the calculated weight for APL it gave me pause. I would enjoy a litter pot and I’m not opposed to trying the mix myself. And you’re right about biting off more than one can chew. I think I’m right about there.

Oddly, I had trouble finding Napa too. I happened to come across it two states away. It was thicker than expected, and in a good way.

But, I think purchasing online is where we’ll find most the substrate — at least for your and my areas, it seems. Maybe a group buy in bulk at a bonsai club could be helpful too. Mine is doing it in the fall.

When I saw the calculated weight for APL it gave me pause. I would enjoy a litter pot and I’m not opposed to trying the mix myself. And you’re right about biting off more than one can chew. I think I’m right about there.
I try to find deals with free shipping or where the cost + shipping = the same as the place that gives free shipping, Ive seen both.
There is a club here that does bulk ordering then selling to the members, which is nice
Yea I have too many trees atm...its just so hard to reduce the number....I love all of them, even the bad ones....
I just got rid of 3 that just werent good or were just struggling no matter what I did and wouldnt ever amount to anything.

This seems all very over complicated for a juniper. Bonsai Jacks universal or their conifer mix is a very easy solution. But I might add, you don't want to be doing this now. Spring would be best, but late summer to early fall will often work fine.
This, right here… a thousand times over 🤦🏼‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom