Best beginning Bonsai recommendations

No, I just like to look at the picks from a fun trip!!! They were for sale, though.:(:D:D

Good plant that will not die indoors, 'specially up North!!!:oops:
Man it would be pretty awesome to own some of those.

I'm an hour east of you and into only my third year so I don't have all the answers obviously. I'll just offer what I've learned and believe to be best in our climate.

Trees want to and are supposed to live outside. The more we fight that the harder it is to have happy trees and happy growers. I have too many tropicals fighting for my one large south facing window. Best luck with Ficus and Serissa by far for me. Fukien Tea have been pest magnets but ok. Jade are easy and fun. A bit of green to survive Ohio winter. When it's consistently above 50, bring those trees out. They'll be happier even in a shady back yard.

You have a back yard and I suggest using it. Many trees will grow fine in part sun including J Mapes,Juniper and spruce.
We're in Zone 6 and a tree in a pot looses at least a zone. Look for trees hardy to zone 4 and save yourself the hassle of providing a lot of extra protection. I have too many which are pushing winter hardiness in our climate and require fussing over them like Dawn Redwood, Bald Cypress, Japanese and Texas Cedar.

I don't know if you can but digging local trees (yamadori) is the way to go. They like our climate and you can save years of growing time by collecting trees Mother Nature has given you a head start. Hornbeam and Hemlock are plentiful in our area and as an under story tree, they will appreciate your shady yard. Elm are everywhere and they just don't care:)

One last tip is Urban Yamadori. Better know as peoples old landscape plants. Boxwood, Azalea (my Fav) Juniper and Taxas Yew are everywhere. Maybe already in your back yard? Watch for new landscaping jobs in your neighborhood, remodeling/construction sites. Often good starter trees can be free.

You don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to enjoy the hobby. It's been my cheapest hobby ever:)

Columbus Bonsai Society has workshops. I've been meaning to get over there but... Maples in March is coming up and I'd like to attend. They have a website and facebook.

Hope this is useful information I've learned here and from trial and error. Listen to what the people offer you here and do it. I didn't always take the advice only to find out they were right most often.

Keep it fun and relaxing is my best advice.

Last edited:
I'm an hour east of you and into only my third year so I don't have all the answers obviously. I'll just offer what I've learned and believe to be best in our climate.

Trees want to and are supposed to live outside. The more we fight that the harder it is to have happy trees and happy growers. I have too many tropicals fighting for my one large south facing window. Best luck with Ficus and Serissa by far for me. Fukien Tea have been pest magnets but ok. Jade are easy and fun. A bit of green to survive Ohio winter. When it's consistently above 50, bring those trees out. They'll be happier even in a shady back yard.

You have a back yard and I suggest using it. Many trees will grow fine in part sun including J Mapes,Juniper and spruce.
We're in Zone 6 and a tree in a pot looses at least a zone. Look for trees hardy to zone 4 and save yourself the hassle of providing a lot of extra protection. I have too many which are pushing winter hardiness in our climate and require fussing over them like Dawn Redwood, Bald Cypress, Japanese and Texas Cedar.

I don't know if you can but digging local trees (yamadori) is the way to go. They like our climate and you can save years of growing time by collecting trees Mother Nature has given you a head start. Hornbeam and Hemlock are plentiful in our area and as an under story tree, they will appreciate your shady yard. Elm are everywhere and they just don't care:)

One last tip is Urban Yamadori. Better know as peoples old landscape plants. Boxwood, Azalea (my Fav) Juniper and Taxas Yew are everywhere. Maybe already in your back yard? Watch for new landscaping jobs in your neighborhood, remodeling/construction sites. Often good starter trees can be free.

You don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to enjoy the hobby. It's been my cheapest hobby ever:)

Columbus Bonsai Society has workshops. I've been meaning to get over there but... Maples in March is coming up and I'd like to attend. They have a website and facebook.

Hope this is useful information I've learned here and from trial and error. Listen to what the people offer you here and do it. I didn't always take the advice only to find out they were right most often.

Keep it fun and relaxing is my best advice.

The only trees I have in the back are two different pine trees. I live in a townhouse so it’s not a big backyard. If I had access to some woods I’d totally love to dig some up there to start with but sadly I don’t. I do plan to try to attend the maple madness this month so hopefully I’ll see you there.

I'm fairly new myself. For indoor I would recommend Ficus. Since you also have outdoor space definitely consider a Chinese Elm and or a Maple.

Read up, see what you might be interested in and start looking at local nursery stock for something cheap to play with. Cotoneaster is a great option here.

Juniper will die indoors. As soon as coldest nights past get this outside in best sun possible;).

First rule of bonsai? Suck less in season two!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Less crazy, more experienced growers should chime in soon. If for nothing else, to save you from me!!!!!;)

Shit Lance!

The way I see it......

Cutting all BS there is no better tree for this dude than BRT !

I find it to be the best balanced as far as accepted conditions (easy level) and Bonsai Offerings..(beautiful flowers)....

Maybe half a step harder than ficus, but...F is for Ficus!

Beautiful Regal Tree......you feel me?

Karmage...I recently got an AeroGarden and find the LED supplied with the $100 package deal nothing short of Fucking amazing.

The problem preventing us from successfully growing "world class" bonsai indoors is a simple matter of.....

The Science of Light.

I'm no scientist. (F them anyway) but...
@JudyB understands how my cross training in Pro Audio and Lighting works here....
You gotta have the right @parhamr ...I mean Par Can for the situation!

The sun is so far away (not THAT far, but in the Firmament!) That by the time the light reaches our trees, the intensity difference between the top and bottom of the tree is undetectable.

But our inside lights WILL NEVER allow is to create Top quality, balanced (twice as many pruning spots on top than on the bottom is NOT fully balanced to me), scarless trees....

Unless!....

We have side, and even bottom lighting.

Somewhere in the future we will have wire with LEDS built in to kill those 2 birds...
But Fucking morons think its cooler to use technology to make Shit float and spin!

Plants are plants......

World Class Buds are grown indoors....
But the ones that make it to the Cannabis Cup are from the top of the plant, closest to the light.

It can be done .....but even the 2 people that are known for growing bonsai well indoors are Not growing them as balanced as possible.

That is not my opinion is is a scientific fact.

Anyway. ..

Sorce

I agree with dirk hoorelbeke and others. Beginners do better with outdoor tree that require less care than a fussy tropical indoor plant. Elms, hackberries, Amur maples are some tree that would do very well in your climate and are easy to keep outdoors and grow rapidly.

Back
Top Bottom