Bending techniques - pros and cons

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just watched the videos below about bending techniques. In the first video raffia and tape were used, in the second one they used rope.
What are the pros and cons of both techniques? Which technique do you prefer?

IMO.... that's falling on the penjing side of the fence.

That's a lotta effort into taperless branches.

Better to clip and grow and wire what you'll keep.

Sorce

I just watched the videos below about bending techniques. In the first video raffia and tape were used, in the second one they used rope.
What are the pros and cons of both techniques? Which technique do you prefer?

Both techniques are doing the same thing. However I think the raffia is probably better because you can get it to wrap neater and flatter against the branch.

I have heard some say that raffia shrinks a little as it dries so it holds the wood tighter. Not sure if that's the case though.
I have used raffia, twine, electrical tape, hessian (burlap?) strips, vetwrap, and rubber strips from bicycle tube. The narrower strips are easier and neater to put on but they all seem to do the same thing if applied properly.
Twine and raffia can leave marks in the bark as the tree grows if they are left on too long. One fast growing juniper ended up with unsightly bulges immediately above and below the wrap and a constricted area where it was wrapped so watch the ends carefully and get it off if you see any sign of the bark bulging at either end. Just like wire, you can rewrap if it is still necessary but should be OK after the initial bending unless the trunk was split to facilitate easier bending.

I use the raffia with electrical tape. Main reason: The tape keeps moisture locked in, and reduces drying out which in the first weeks might (!) help reduce dead spots on strong bends.

I normally go in the spring after bending and cut the raffia / tape. If the section is not wired I take all of: THe job is done by then, the fibres have settled..

Horseshoe bends..
1605951738124.png

Back
Top Bottom