below freezing temps

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So my maples and conifers outside heeled in pine straw next to the south side of the house underneath the front porch out of the wind and the rain and it seems they have been doing fine however we have had consistent nights in the twenties and days right above freezing 34-35 this past week. Looking ahead next week it will be getting down to 5F, should i move them under the house in the crawlspace until temps go back into the 20's and 30's?
20201214_145920(1).jpg

20201214_145927(1).jpg

20201214_145912(1).jpg

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They look good!
5F will be just like having a glass of iced tea to those conifers and maples.
Cool and refreshing!... and keeps the bugs down.
The biggest worry I have in those temperatures is the rabbits gnawing on the merchandise.
cheers
DSD sends
even my air layers?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm... you didn’t mention airlayers? Those boxes look just like my boxed maples.

There is no problem with keeping those airlayers inside in the crawl space until the low temperatures ease. It would be prudent

The rest, keep them outside. For some other ideas.... Sometimes I shroud my pots and media in moist newspaper when they are exposed to cold temps for short periods. Mostly as winter approaches I just like dig all of them into the soil up to just below the pot rim and put large bark nuggets over the pots under our low trees.. I’ve not lost one yet.

cheers
DSD sends

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
5F or -15c is really cold. Your winter set up looks perfect, heat from the earth, little mulch, ambient heat from the house. But I would personally be tempted to add a decent layer of mulch for those temps. Old t-shirts, more pine straw, anything to trap a few degrees in the roots. The air layers? No advice on those, depends how fresh I guess. I like to err on the side of too cold rather than too warm but maple roots can get damaged below 14

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Edit, maple roots “will” get damaged “at or below” 14F so no sense in dancing too close to those ranges.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rake some leaves over the pots and up the trunks a bit, and leave until after next week's cold snap has passed. The roots, being on the ground and covered with mulch/leaves will not see temps even remotely close to their kill zone.
Agreed...I know I was always told to cover the entire pot with mulch. Though I don't winter out in the elements. I think your advice very sound...from northern peeps techniques for wintering.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For those of you mulching over your pots, what do you do to clean the soil when its time to dig out of the mulch?

@SouthernMaple, our early-next-week low temps are trending a smidge warmer than they were predicting ...so here's hoping. There's still time for the forecast to trend back down though I guess. Regardless, I doubt there's too long a line @ Rocky's Soda Shop downtown over the next week or so. (I hadn't been to Brevard in years until recently. Last time I was there, it was still Rocky & Bullwinkle's.)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really haven’t liked using leaves, although I used them my first year.. The reason why I use clean large bark Nuggets to mulch atop and around my pots is to give basic insulation while allowing some air flow and keeping the pots media clear.

Any pieces of bark that chip off are easily removed in the spring. Leaves are more problematic for me by spring.

Afterwards I use the bark to mulch my landscape azaleas and rhody’s drip lines

Cheers
DSD sends

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thanks for all the advice, good news next weeks weather seems like has changed and its 20's at night and 40's in the day, I was really getting worried for a sec the layers have been on own roots since july although my twin trunk orange dreams roots weren't as abundant as the arakawas, both are in 4-5 inch plastic pots

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I really don't mulch potted trees down here in GA. Back in MA, I'd always use chipped wood I'd get for free from the local tree service and the mulch would stay in Place from Turkey day until April Fools day. I think I've dumped oak leaves on/over my trees maybe every 3rd year since I've been here, basically when temps are predicted to fall into the single digits F, and it only stays on for a week or two, so really no need to clean the soil

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Simple solution, place them all under the deck and create plastic walls around the sides under the deck. the heat from the ground and foundation will suffice, and cold drying wind will be blocked.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Simple solution, place them all under the deck and create plastic walls around the sides under the deck. the heat from the ground and foundation will suffice, and cold drying wind will be blocked.

That's the broad idea I'm thinking of for my own solution, but I'm wondering how much warmer it will really keep things and if it will allow me the ability to keep plants that aren't quite as cold hardy as a Japanese maple.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
can't do that because it resembles a structure and I live in a covented community, they wouldn't let me put bonsai benches in the front yard

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting. Plastic sheet is considered a structure?

In any event, for the trees you have, you are just fine placing them under the deck. The air layers are well on their way and with proper mulching you should be just fine for a nice budding out this spring.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
can't do that because it resembles a structure and I live in a covented community, they wouldn't let me put bonsai benches in the front yard
get your bylaws or ordinances, whatever applies, and read them thoroughly to be sure it is allowed or not allowed. In many places lattice or similar can be placed around a raised deck to keep out vermin. You can put the plastic on the back side of the lattice. Take it down when its warmer. Also, structure can be defined by the amount of time its in place. Maybe the amount of time allowed is adequate for your needs and you can take it down before its a problem. Temporary versus permanent may also be a factor for you.
Another better choice would be to place the trees in a unheated structure, like an attached garage. If that's not an option, place buckets/containers over each, or wrap them in plastic or landscape fabric. Read your association and municipal rules/ordinances first.

Top Bottom