beaver dwarfed winged elm

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, I thought I would take a minute to post my winged elm. Collected from a north Florida swamp, it measures 22 inches in height, 29 wide not including the sacrifice branches. A 4.5 inch trunk at root level. Approximate age is 75 years, it's been in cultivation for 22 years. I regret that I don't have progression photos, but suffice to say, it's come a long way from a beaver chomped stump. At one point way back when, it was hollowed with a chain saw, but I've let the trunk close the hollow. It's developed a slight bulge about 6 inches up the trunk, by measure still a half inch narrower the the lower trunk. In the spring of this year Rodney and I talked about rehollowing it with the thought of getting rid of the bulge as a result of having less wood to move. Possibly use clamps to help close up a little. I don't know, what do you think? I don't really mind the bulge, It kind of lends to the story. If you look closely you can see wings on the twigs. I use a combination of wiring, guy wires, and clip and grow to shape it. Let me hear from you..................and thanks a million for allowing me post a tree or two....SKDSCN1405.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was looking for pictures of a little beaver.
Who used a chainsaw to style it? I have a tree I plan on taking a saw to in the spring. Kind of the same thing planned. Rip it from chop to roots!

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a nice size tree but still trying to imagine the chainsaw!
I don't find the bulge overly distracting but could see the wound being opened up again in future. It would be a nice feature.
The branch work is very good, taper movement and fine ramification throughout. This can only get better with time.
I find the nebari slightly lacking, leading to an unbalanced feeling. Would these respond similar in regards to root work as a Chinese Elm?

Attachments

• DSCN1405.JPG
    DSCN1405.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 12

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somebody out there is mad that beaver is not getting any ribbons.

Nice follow up to what seems to be, excellent work by said beaver!

I like it a lot. Like a friend in the woods!

I'd like to see the apex cranked down in front.
I don't like my excitement running too far up the apex, it runs outta gas, I want it to come right back down to the, life and death struggle near the hollow.
That is where it all happens for me.

Everthing else is exactly on point to me.

Hell yeah!

Sorce

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was looking for pictures of a little beaver.
Who used a chainsaw to style it? I have a tree I plan on taking a saw to in the spring. Kind of the same thing planned. Rip it from chop to roots!
The guy who collected it did the sawing. I got it from him the following year. It should work for you.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a nice size tree but still trying to imagine the chainsaw!
I don't find the bulge overly distracting but could see the wound being opened up again in future. It would be a nice feature.
The branch work is very good, taper movement and fine ramification throughout. This can only get better with time.
I find the nebari slightly lacking, leading to an unbalanced feeling. Would these respond similar in regards to root work as a Chinese Elm?
We had just heard of Kimura and his chainsaw and I guess that was his inspiration! In John Naka"s second book, he talked about hollowing the trunk of a tree that didn't have great surface roots. Take it down to just above soil level in the area where roots are lacking. That said, I agree that the roots need work. I'm not certain if it would respond the same way or not. The bark on winged elm is not as thick as Chinese. Hey Jeremy, thanks a lot for your observations.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somebody out there is mad that beaver is not getting any ribbons.

Nice follow up to what seems to be, excellent work by said beaver!

I like it a lot. Like a friend in the woods!

I'd like to see the apex cranked down in front.
I don't like my excitement running too far up the apex, it runs outta gas, I want it to come right back down to the, life and death struggle near the hollow.
That is where it all happens for me.

Everthing else is exactly on point to me.

Hell yeah!

Sorce
Thank you, Sir!!

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for your comments. I would add that I want to find a proper pot for it soon. Maybe try to get Mr . Eli to make one for it.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had just heard of Kimura and his chainsaw and I guess that was his inspiration! In John Naka"s second book, he talked about hollowing the trunk of a tree that didn't have great surface roots. Take it down to just above soil level in the area where roots are lacking. That said, I agree that the roots need work. I'm not certain if it would respond the same way or not. The bark on winged elm is not as thick as Chinese. Hey Jeremy, thanks a lot for your observations.

Hollow to the base would also work, especially once you got a good callous formed. It already displays its age through its character, all you can do is add features or let time continue to beautify it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about an inch shallower, two to three inches longer. Thanks!

I actually feel the same as I do about this one.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/hokkaido-elm-summer-clean-up.17892/

Like that much pot, combined with a wee bit of reduction, would really make an impact!

A wee bit, because I love the long left branch, though it maybe could use a wee bit of taper, but the way it looks fits the hollow. The story!

I really can't wait to see this come along!

Sorce

Top Bottom