Baobab seedling or such where would one find in the US

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
wondering for bonsai where does one find Baobab seeds or even seedling as the plants seem very expensive

Adansonia digitata are my favorite species of tree.

At almost a dollar a seed, they are indeed expensive in the Untited States and the only places that would be selling seedlings would be the tropical south.

I have a few hundred Adansonia digitata seeds that I collected while I was in Hawaii. I am willing to spare a few if you are interested. I would ship them once the weather gets warmer. I don't know how the seeds react to freezing, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Adansonia digitata are my favorite species of tree.

At almost a dollar a seed, they are indeed expensive in the Untited States and the only places that would be selling seedlings would be the tropical south.

I have a few hundred Adansonia digitata seeds that I collected while I was in Hawaii. I am willing to spare a few if you are interested. I would ship them once the weather gets warmer. I don't know how the seeds react to freezing, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
yea i was worried about the temps myself given they are tropical. im very interested when warmer if shoot me when its time . thanks truly (or if end up selling a seedling or two. what ever works thanks

wondering for bonsai where does one find Baobab seeds or even seedling as the plants seem very expensive

I've gotten seed for every species from here:

They are often out of stock...keep looking. They've usually come back in stock in the northern hemisphere's spring. Looks like they still have digitata in stock now.

Their seed is quality. I've had high germination rates on everything but suarezensis which I've yet to get to germinate from any supplier :( I nick, soak and peel the seed coats to get them to germinate...I have a thread somewhere that explains the process but others have documented similar.

A possible cheat for cheap seeds is you can sometimes find fruit on Etsy or eBay. Baobab fruit is a dietary supplement so sometimes you can find unopened fruit. I have a couple that I got cheap just to set on a shelf. They have a hard outer shell like a gourd so can sit semi-permanently. Again, spring is more likely...southern hemispheres fall.

I've gotten seed for every species from here:

They are often out of stock...keep looking. They've usually come back in stock in the northern hemisphere's spring. Looks like they still have digitata in stock now.

Their seed is quality. I've had high germination rates on everything but suarezensis which I've yet to get to germinate from any supplier :( I nick, soak and peel the seed coats to get them to germinate...I have a thread somewhere that explains the process but others have documented similar.

A possible cheat for cheap seeds is you can sometimes find fruit on Etsy or eBay. Baobab fruit is a dietary supplement so sometimes you can find unopened fruit. I have a couple that I got cheap just to set on a shelf. They have a hard outer shell like a gourd so can sit semi-permanently. Again, spring is more likely...southern hemispheres fall.
would seeds even be safe to ship given tropical? just curious . but great info thanks ill look into it

Baobab seeds exhibit orthodox behavior. Meaning that they can sit dormant for many years in optimal storage conditions.

A lot of seeds that exhibit this behavior can be stored at close to freezing temps for prolonged and stable stasis. Some can even be stored at sub-zero temps, but they often require a specific procedure to be stored that way .

I keep mine in the crisper drawer of my fridge with a desiccant pouch to keep the moisture levels inside their storage bag down.

Edit: Also to clarify, Although Baobabs can be found in tropical climates they are a semi-arid species.

would seeds even be safe to ship given tropical? just curious . but great info thanks ill look into it

They have a super hard outer shell. Until the coating is cracked, the inside is very dry. I would not worry about shipping these seeds in the winter. Their shelf life is very long. Ah6way, you'll likely find more in late spring when this season's crops are harvested...no temp issues then.

Off topic, but the bigger issue will be getting them to survive an Iniana winter. I haven't started any since moving back to northern Illinois...I'm hoping to start another set this spring...but I had 7 of the 8 species growing in Kansas City.

They grew great in the growing season. But winters were tough. Zero water isn't good enough. There are some "dry rot" fungi in this part of the world that killed some of mine. I've had ones sit out of soil in a box that turned to grey powder. I have a thread where one's "tuber" rotted in the pot but didn't kill the tree. New roots grew through the rotted remains of the old roots!

My plan next time is to lift and treat with fungicide a couple of times over the winter...

Also off topic...but za and fony have smaller leaves more conducive to bonsai.

This thread may be of interest:

Baobab seeds exhibit orthodox behavior. Meaning that they can sit dormant for many years in optimal storage conditions.

A lot of seeds that exhibit this behavior can be stored at close to freezing temps for prolonged and stable stasis. Some can even be stored at sub-zero temps, but they often require a specific procedure to be stored that way .

I keep mine in the crisper drawer of my fridge with a desiccant pouch to keep the moisture levels inside their storage bag down.

Edit: Also to clarify, Although Baobabs can be found in tropical climates they are a semi-arid species.
O ok I wasn't sure because had misunderstood or thought you mentioned not changing shipping til warmer so I guess i assumed they might not tolerate cold via shipping. I apologize. Hoping to find some so I have somthing to grow over winter and then enjoy for life . Again sorry if I misunddrstood. That's awesome you were in Hawaii and also able collect seeds .

They have a super hard outer shell. Until the coating is cracked, the inside is very dry. I would not worry about shipping these seeds in the winter. Their shelf life is very long. Ah6way, you'll likely find more in late spring when this season's crops are harvested...no temp issues then.

Off topic, but the bigger issue will be getting them to survive an Iniana winter. I haven't started any since moving back to northern Illinois...I'm hoping to start another set this spring...but I had 7 of the 8 species growing in Kansas City.

They grew great in the growing season. But winters were tough. Zero water isn't good enough. There are some "dry rot" fungi in this part of the world that killed some of mine. I've had ones sit out of soil in a box that turned to grey powder. I have a thread where one's "tuber" rotted in the pot but didn't kill the tree. New roots grew through the rotted remains of the old roots!

My plan next time is to lift and treat with fungicide a couple of times over the winter...

Ok yea . Awesome ty for into to read up on . That's cool it regrow roots through the rotted remains . Plants are incredible.

O ok I wasn't sure because had misunderstood or thought you mentioned not changing shipping til warmer so I guess i assumed they might not tolerate cold via shipping. I apologize. Hoping to find some so I have somthing to grow over winter and then enjoy for life . Again sorry if I misunddrstood. That's awesome you were in Hawaii and also able collect seeds .
That statement mostly refers to my inability to find information regarding if the seeds can handle freezing without damage to the seed itself.

Since I only know that they can get close to freezing for long term storage, I'd rather not risk damage to the seeds while the states between us are going through sub-zero tempatures.

Here is a link to a thread that some of us consider the "expert" around here on Baobabs.

Here is a link to one of mine where I document the process of collecting and germinating the seeds.

That statement mostly refers to my inability to find information regarding if the seeds can handle freezing without damage to the seed itself.

Since I only know that they can get close to freezing for long term storage, I'd rather not risk damage to the seeds while the states between us are going through sub-zero tempatures.

Here is a link to a thread that some of us consider the "expert" around here on Baobabs.

Here is a link to one of mine where I document the process of collecting and germinating the seeds.
All good makes sense . Ty for links ill read up on them more. Thanks

one thing idk about but am looking into since your comment/suggestion on if they'd survive indiana winter (would be indoors grow light) but im now wondering if they are dormant naturally due to lack of water versus in the US things go dormant due to cold , or drought if in desert, but also because photo period is lessened. wondering if keeping it dry but also on heat mat/germination mat at a warmer tempature like they would be in native area they grow in would help offset rot/fungus ect since were much colder in the US. could be totally off base but had me thinking

In their native habit, they have dry winters and wet summers.

Cold tempatures is a signal to the tree that it will be encountering a dry spell. So the major dormancy trigger is the tempature and the minor trigger is water amount.

I don't know much about dormant overwintering Baobabs, but depending on your indoor tempature the heat mat might an early awakening. That would only be a problem if you don't have the right set-up to provide enough light to it while you wait for late spring.

If you are really worried about dry rot, I'd just leave it in its pot without disturbance until it wakes up. Stop watering it early on so that the substrate is fairly dry overwinter.

Yea I have grow lights and cooker house but wasnt sure if was drought cause for dormancy or cooler weather but both I can accommodate. Main issue is seed germination. I got some from Canadian company before and all they did was rot when I took others and cut them open they were shriveled and non viable hence when seen post here I figured better source or even seedling might be option as online seedlings are like 50 to 200 which is beyond my ability. I'm in hobby buy only on the lowest end income not saying for petty but just being crystal clear as I feel clarity and honesty is always best told though ik at times others feel its putty seeking which is definitely not the goal or reasoning. Lady that was best friend who got me I to bonsai interest passed away several years ago but when stumbled onto our forums here really sparked my interest I to them again. Since then been mainly enjoying annuals biannauls perennials and trees in the yard. But now I'm wanting to dabble again into bonsai .both inside and out a bit. You all really are doing some amazing stuff

one thing idk about but am looking into since your comment/suggestion on if they'd survive indiana winter (would be indoors grow light) but im now wondering if they are dormant naturally due to lack of water versus in the US things go dormant due to cold , or drought if in desert, but also because photo period is lessened. wondering if keeping it dry but also on heat mat/germination mat at a warmer tempature like they would be in native area they grow in would help offset rot/fungus ect since were much colder in the US. could be totally off base but had me thinking

The "Climatron" in St Louis Batonical Gardens has a controlled environment. They have a large(ish) digitata that is in leaf all year. But tamps are 85F all year ;)

In Kansas City, I had bright floor to ceiling south facing windows in a room that I could close off and keep in high 70F range almost year round. They still went dormant.

Conversely, I break all the rules and usually sew seed in the fall. As long as it's warm enough to get them to germinate, I could usually keep fresh sprouts growing through the winter in KC. Haven't tried near Chicago yet.

Keeping them in soil over the winter as @Kievnstavick suggests only kind of worked for me in Kansas City. Some survived. Some didn't. Even in bone dry soil, and fungus that can pierce the skin of the root is going to find an oasis and drain it dry! The fungi we have int he midwest are novel to baobab...they don't have much defense.

My next attempt will be to lift them in the fall and treat with fungicide once a month until ready to plant in soil again and see.

Not trying to discourage you...just pointing out that the challenges here in the midwest are challenging ;)

The "Climatron" in St Louis Batonical Gardens has a controlled environment. They have a large(ish) digitata that is in leaf all year. But tamps are 85F all year ;)

In Kansas City, I had bright floor to ceiling south facing windows in a room that I could close off and keep in high 70F range almost year round. They still went dormant.

Conversely, I break all the rules and usually sew seed in the fall. As long as it's warm enough to get them to germinate, I could usually keep fresh sprouts growing through the winter in KC. Haven't tried near Chicago yet.

Keeping them in soil over the winter as @Kievnstavick suggests only kind of worked for me in Kansas City. Some survived. Some didn't. Even in bone dry soil, and fungus that can pierce the skin of the root is going to find an oasis and drain it dry! The fungi we have int he midwest are novel to baobab...they don't have much defense.

My next attempt will be to lift them in the fall and treat with fungicide once a month until ready to plant in soil again and see.

Not trying to discourage you...just pointing out that the challenges here in the midwest are challenging ;)
No not discouraged just great infonwhat has and hadn't been tried . Given my income and resources though might try another plant since losing one would be alot loss . But still great knowledge to learn to maybe another time try it so never bad to know.

No not discouraged just great infonwhat has and hadn't been tried . Given my income and resources though might try another plant since losing one would be alot loss . But still great knowledge to learn to maybe another time try it so never bad to know.

I've recently moved onto a couple of acres and have been devoting a lot of time to reverting about 2 acres of lawn back native brush and another acre or so into a food/pollinator garden. I'm hoping to get back to trying babs this year. My goal is to have one of each of the 8 species on my deck :) We'll see...

Just rechecking if anyone knows a reputable source within US for Baobaoba seeds as no luck as yet with one plce i ordered from . seeds were baobaob but light as feather even when soaked and rotted 99% sure they werent even viable sadly

If you want, I have a few hundred seeds of Adonsia Digitata that I am willing to send out to you. I harvested the seeds myself and float tested the seeds. I am certain that I won't personally grow 200-300 baobabs any time soon.

I would trust sheffields.com on their seed quality, but at over a dollar a seed they are quite pricey.

EDIT: apparently I already said pretty much the same thing earlier in the thread. I was thinking this was another recent thread on baobabs that I was apart of lol

If you want, I have a few hundred seeds of Adonsia Digitata that I am willing to send out to you. I harvested the seeds myself and float tested the seeds. I am certain that I won't personally grow 200-300 baobabs any time soon.

I would trust sheffields.com on their seed quality, but at over a dollar a seed they are quite pricey.

EDIT: apparently I already said pretty much the same thing earlier in the thread. I was thinking this was another recent thread on baobabs that I was apart of lol
no worries , i did have someone offer send some but mail never came and post office claims nothing was sent though ik the person here did send them they sent photos . so upsetting , so hoping find just 4-5 seeds to tr n grow my own in hopes have one plant.

Back
Top Bottom