Bald cypress seedling questions

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Where my BC peeps at? I have a few questions.

First, how aggressive can you be with roots when repotting?

Second, do people generally want them tall and straight or cut back for movement?

That’s it for now! :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Where my BC peeps at? I have a few questions.

First, how aggressive can you be with roots when repotting?

Second, do people generally want them tall and straight or cut back for movement?

That’s it for now! :)
In a good growing environment you can be very aggressive with the roots. Remember collected BC can be cut back to practically stump and roots will grow back. The problems people have with seedlings come from buying bare rooted seedlings that have been pulled for a long time in massive batches done for nursery or forest replanting. Those are very stressed and aggressive root pruning will kill them. Healthy seedlings that have just been pulled can be cut back hard.

Bonsai people always want movement. Yard people want them straight. Take this with a grain of salt since I don’t sell seedlings. I grow a lot of them last year just for foresting purpose.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Mine 50 year old BC - I can bee very aggressive with the root if it's healthy and it hardly bats and eye - On my youtube channel I have a video of me cutting all the roots and such

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can we get a link?
Sure... in all my years of doing bonsai. I've never come across something with the steak of information to chew over as I have found there. 😉

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The problems people have with seedlings come from buying bare rooted seedlings that have been pulled for a long time in massive batches done for nursery or forest replanting. Those are very stressed and aggressive root pruning will kill them. Healthy seedlings that have just been pulled can be cut back hard.
I completely agree with this statement. I bought a small batch of seedlings spring last year and left them alone the entire year to gain strength, they will be root pruned this year and hopefully set them for max growth in the next few seasons. Just waiting now for the buds to fully swell before doing the work.

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted nursery bare roots in pots last spring and let them grow all summer. They're tall and skinny now. Can I chop below existing branches and count on them to bud from the trunk (trunks are less than 1/2" thick) or should I only chop above an existing branch?

Top Bottom