Bald Cypress Repot Root Rot Help!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had planned to re-pot my bald cypress when I was certain it was coming out of dormancy but as the clock continued to tick, just this evening after work, I slipped it from the pot for a quick look at the roots. Stink-o-rama black root rot layer about a half-inch thick (not pictured). I keep this guy in his own private swamp pretty much all the time. Over the winter it was kept on the ground, not in standing water but appropriately wet. A couple weeks ago I placed it back in standing water but kept tabs, expecting to see buds soon. I may have been reacting partly due to impatience but I do think the root rot was a risk factor. I chose to scrape and spray off the dead roots with a hose and was pleased to see what seems to be a pretty healthy root mass (pictured). Normally I'd proceed with combing those out and doing standard root work but I'm concerned the tree is at risk and needs an appropriate intervention. What would you do? (Note: that rectangular impression on the bottom is from a cedar board it sat over the last season.) Any and all advice appreciated!

IMG_3703.jpegIMG_3700.jpegIMG_3702.jpegIMG_3699.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpeg
    IMG_3701.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
If it was my tree, I would plant it in a cement mixing tub, oil drain pan or round pond liner. I would plant it in about 3-4 inches of soil so it can run some long shallow roots to help build taper and buttressing. You can drill a drain hole in the side of the tub to set the water height in the tub. Basically, let it stay wet/submerged, fertilize and watch it grow for a few years. Wire some movement into that top to set the structure for either flat top or upright.

I would plant it in a cement mixing tub, oil drain pan or round pond liner.
That was precisely my plan for this year (livestock feed bowl), but I'm worried about the root rot and hesitant to toss it right back into a swampy environment.

That was precisely my plan for this year (livestock feed bowl), but I'm worried about the root rot and hesitant to toss it right back into a swampy environment.
I wouldn’t think anything of it. BC thrive in swampy conditions. The dead roots may have been roots that got choked out by other roots.

If this were my tree, I would put it in a pot, throw in some soil, chop stick the soil in and call it a day.
Agree. I keep mine in water 24/7/365 and have not seen any root rot. What you may have rotting was probably decomposed fertilizer or organic soil that was left in the root ball. I plant my BCs in all inorganic mix for this reason.

The only times I ever see BC root rot are when the roots were damaged previously by animal or digging. The dying roots then rot.

I can’t afford inorganic mix - too many trees.

The only times I ever see BC root rot are when the roots were damaged previously by animal or digging. The dying roots then rot.

I can’t afford inorganic mix - too many trees.
A pallet of pumice may work out to be a out as cheap as garden/potting soil

It was a calamity and catastrophe all mixed in with a crisis and cataclysm. Trust me! But if the Cajun sees no issues, then I see no issues. 😅 In retrospect, there's a pretty good chance I simply panicked. Thank you!
Yeah these are swamp loving trees. Your title drew me in. Because...I'm scratching my head thinking...what in the world!?! 😉🙃

Thanks all. The root tips were certainly rotten. Black, spongy and sewage-smelling. Photos of remnants provided for reference. Part of the reason for my panic was that I didn't baby it over the winter (you know that March-April guilt/worry/self-doubt feeling?) and I thought the roots may have been damaged. I believe we've established that it's not at risk. I haven't potted it yet; it's currently basking in 55 degree rain. Still deciding on how much root work I can do, if any.

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpeg
    IMG_3706.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 39
Thanks all. The root tips were certainly rotten. Black, spongy and sewage-smelling. Photos of remnants provided for reference. Part of the reason for my panic was that I didn't baby it over the winter (you know that March-April guilt/worry/self-doubt feeling?) and I thought the roots may have been damaged. I believe we've established that it's not at risk. I haven't potted it yet; it's currently basking in 55 degree rain. Still deciding on how much root work I can do, if any.
Was the tree subjected to a lot of freezing conditions? My trees in Cincinnati Ohio suffered damaged on root tips due to freezing but the trees were OK. The ones that were given protection had no damage.

Yes. I kept it on concrete patio, west side of house and right up against the outside wall, sheltered from wind on three sides. It definitely froze solid a few times.
The roots can freeze solid in ice... if the pot was removed from the water you need to mulch them in. Freezing air is what kills the roots, I had all my BC's in water when they freeze and never lost a tree this way. I lost 3 in one winter because I didn't notice the water they were in almost entirely evaporated and we had 2 days straight with wind chill factor of close to 0 degrees F. The ones in the other tubs did just fine, even the seedlings in the set up below. I just moved them into a tub that covers then to the top rim with water.

1712758342703.png

There's a recent Wigerts video I saw on this forum talking about BCs. This guy from Wigarts has to have handled more BCs than anybody and for a longer period of time and he was recomending watering them "when necessary" and not just every day. That raised some eyebrows for me cuz I soak mine too. It's an interesting video, I can't remember the title, Im sure it would be easy to find online, There's a few BC videos from Wigerts but I think this is a more recent one.

That's interesting about the watering. Erik is definitely a BC expert. I'd have assumed they'd be all about frequent watering since they're in Ft. Meyers. I've heard many BC enthusiasts and pros talk about how they can be very drought tolerant and therefore very versatile. They're one of my favorite trees. Would love to take one of those $20K trees off Wigert's lot!

There's a recent Wigerts video I saw on this forum talking about BCs. This guy from Wigarts has to have handled more BCs than anybody and for a longer period of time and he was recomending watering them "when necessary" and not just every day. That raised some eyebrows for me cuz I soak mine too. It's an interesting video, I can't remember the title, Im sure it would be easy to find online, There's a few BC videos from Wigerts but I think this is a more recent one.
I know it’s sacrilege, but I don’t soak mine either. If the tree is sucking up tons of water, that’s one thing. But I believe the idea of soaking a BC to cause fluting isn’t science.

I know it’s sacrilege, but I don’t soak mine either. If the tree is sucking up tons of water, that’s one thing. But I believe the idea of soaking a BC to cause fluting isn’t science.
It isn’t sacrilege. I only soak some of my BCs. I have seen fluting mostly on BCs in swamp. The thousands of BCs I see on side walks, parks, and dry land in general has far less fluting. I have yet to see an entirely container grown BC with significant fluting, soaked or not.

Back
Top Bottom