Azalea Wars 1 - Waterwashing Roots - Satsuki and other Azaleas - From an Inquisitive person

Deep Sea Diver

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh, I’m always mystified with the different information I get from various sources, online, books by “experts” articles written by practitioners.

For only one example, well two, and not to take this as a knock please, it’s just an example of the confusion I have faced in the past five years with bonsai advice.

Recently a very respected BNutter wrote:
  • “Never, ever “blast” the nursery soil out with high pressure water. You’ll kill gajillions of root hairs. Tease out as much soil as you possibly can, and then gently swish the root mass in a five-gallon bucket of lukewarm water to remove the rest.”
Seems pretty straightford…. I’ve also heard this advice from a number of other sources…Yet in only one counter example after reading all the articles and books and posts I could find on azaleas in the PBM library of articles/ BN/Internet (Crazy? Yep. Well I was laid up for 18 months with a broken chest, so what else did I have to do?)

… International Bonsai #54 Developing Informal upright style Azalea Bonsai was the first article I found after a 5 minute search.

“….Care of roots. After pruning the branches The roots should be cleaned out. First remove old soil with a root hook or chopstick. Remove thick roots with a concave pruner or knob cutter. The gently remove further soil gently with a chopstick….“

Now wait for it….

“The final soil should be removed with a high pressure hose or a strong spray from a garden hose. The roots should be bare without any old soil. Cut the roots to fit into a training container.” (The second advice doesn’t mention temperature of the wash water.)

I should note here this wasn’t a one off. I’ve read this before in satsuki articles before.

So being very inquisitive of nature and one who doesn’t like absolutes, I tried out both methods over the past years, just to see which method worked best. Tub washing with a chopstick and a gentle flow on the water wand and using my watering wand up to full bore at times with a chopstick to clear alway all of the soil. Both lived and both responded similarly over time.

I used whatever temperature came out of the water faucet. It was usually pretty darn cold.

The only exceptions on recover times were when dead patches of roots were discovered, or big roots impeding a good nebari were reduced. As would be expected, these trees where the roots were impaired or need to be cut back took longer to recover, yet recover they did. In similar time frames with others that had their roots reduced.

Keep in mind it is my normal practice to trim the roots on initial rootwashing/repotting so that the azaleas have a good start on a nebari. Roots first after all. This sometimes lead to some solid root mass reductions. If this occurs Sphagnum moss is gently packed into key places of the nebari/roots in an effort to enhance growth.

A couple recent images, just for ground truth. Both methods.

D3410251-98A8-40BE-825E-6494A6EF219D.jpeg CCCF43AB-D7C0-4830-8839-594AA2D94067.jpeg

Now one could always say to me, “Sure, it worked for you in a couple cases, but…. that was only a couple azaleas. Maybe you got lucky or were sloppy in observing.” Hmm…. Absolutely don’t expect any give on my part here. Why?

Over the past four years I’ve done both procedures to over a hundred different azaleas. Multiple ages from 3 to over 20 yoa.

obtw: Since I was getting similar results by last year I flat gave up root washing in a tub, except for certain cases, in lieu of hose root washing. It’s generally faster and where the grower has used a gritty blend of media, like Riverbend or lots of bark chips like Kusa-farm and Nuccios this is pretty much the very best option.

Here’s the upper deck with over 50 rootwashed (either way) azaleas.

oh yes, I plant all of my rootwashed azaleas in 90/10 Kanuma/Pumice. It works even in the torrential rains in a PacNW spring. This may or may not work for you. Your tree your choice of media.

0475891F-01FA-4D90-BF02-4681C54FBF79.jpeg

Of course aftercare is very important. I don’t do anything special. If its cool outside they might go into a cold frame or on the greenhouse shelf for a couple days until the weather moderates. Then up on the bench basically in morning sun and afternoon shade. Sometimes I water, sometimes not.

One thought: Does that mean everyone, especially the first timer should waterwash their azalea roots with a waterwand up to on full force and a chopstick in hand this?

Whoa! Not so fast if you are new to this. I’d recommend going slow for the first couple azaleas. Use a tub, chopstick and a gentle flow on your water wand, just to get a really long close up view of the lay of azalea rootland. After all, one should crawl and then walk before attempting running. But after that… Katie bar the door!

After all that I’m a bit more hesitant to accept blanket advice and absolutes in bonsai. I listen take it in and test out the ideas, then make up my own mind from there on.

Oh yes! In another case I was told on BN by another very respected member…”One can not, absolutely not grow azalea whips without a greenhouse.” (This was before I installed two myself. I still dont use it to grow whips…).

And….being very inquisitive of nature and one who doesn’t like absolutes, I tried to grow whips on my own… check out the bench

E4CA064E-24D5-423F-930E-398F4B2E7590.jpeg

Ok I hope everyone takes this thread in good humor and with an open mind. I’m certainly not trying to demean anyones expertise, knowledge or years of working with bonsai. I totally respect you all and appreciate the chance to participate with so many awesome, incredible folks! I’m just pointing out what all of us know… sort of… that bonsai isn’t a perfect art…. Often it depends.

cheers! Now I gotta get back to work, those darn trees don’t wire themselves!
DSD sends

I seen this in the other thread and was waiting for it. I washed mine out with my nozzle. It worked for me. Now being new to it I took it slow but did blast most of it out. It had just a couple blooms and I thought it was done. No it wasn't after putting it in kanuma and letting it rest in mostly shade it started to put on new blooms and is blooming now. Was washed on may 8.

Attachments

• 20220508_151018.jpg
    20220508_151018.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 195
Good job.

I usually cut back the flowers at least 50% up to all the way after a root wash especially if the new branchlets are starting to push. These get sometimes are cut back to two. So still pulling sap flow, and also photosynthesizing…. giving starches and sugars back to the roots so these have a better supply of nutrients

The real pressure test begins after the blooming when the weather heats up.

cheers
DSD sends

I picked up a Wakaebisu Azalea a few weeks ago at lowes with a 1 inch diameter trunk. I’ve never worked on azaleas before and wasn’t sure when to repot. I know you trim after flowers are finished, from what I’ve been reading that’s also the proper time to repot?

What was done 20-30yrs ago may be different from what we do today. Times change and with that techniques improve by way of trial and error.

Just because one person suggests a certain technique doesn't not necessarily mean it's the best technique.......it may just mean it worked for them or they don't know any other techniques so they teach what they know.

I’m glad to see other folks chiming in! I’m not the only person with lots of azaleas here.

I’d say the best time for a new azalea person to repot azaleas is in the early spring just as the new buds push.

That’s unless your media doesn’t drain properly. Thats an emergency situation. Likely your azlaea is planted in peat based media. So please don’t let it dry out. If it does, submerge in water until it’s completely soaked. This may take a number of hours.

Wakaebisu is a really nice cultivar. Watch for fungus on the ,eaves. Mine was a fungus magnet in the ground. Now it’s in a pot in bonsai media, I hope to see it recover.

cheers
DSD sends

I’m glad to see other folks chiming in! I’m not the only person with lots of azaleas here.

I’d say the best time for a new azalea person to repot azaleas is in the early spring just as the new buds push.

That’s unless your media doesn’t drain properly. Thats an emergency situation. Likely your azlaea is planted in peat based media. So please don’t let it dry out. If it does, submerge in water until it’s completely soaked. This may take a number of hours.

Wakaebisu is a really nice cultivar. Watch for fungus on the ,eaves. Mine was a fungus magnet in the ground. Now it’s in a pot in bonsai media, I hope to see it recover.

cheers
DSD sends
It appears to be in a peat based substrate, it’s root ball is very dense. I’d like to get it in something a little bigger so she can stretch her legs so to speak. I’m not in any hurry though, I may just slip pot into more peat based substrate and do root work next spring. It is good to know that I can use the hose to help clean out the roots. I have given her a little trim up to thin out dense branching and dead branches.

That is a blanket response, not to say it's bad advice. A lot of what one can do is based on their location. We all have a time window where we can do certain things. For some that window opens and closes fairly quickly and/or early, while for others they have their window open almost 3/4 of the year.

It's the location that dictates what you can do or how much you can risk.

That is a blanket response, not to say it's bad advice. A lot of what one can do is based on their location. We all have a time window where we can do certain things. For some that window opens and closes fairly quickly and/or early, while for others they have their window open almost 3/4 of the year.

We have had an unseasonably cool year so far but that won’t last too much longer. We will be getting hot soon. I’m hesitant to push that window knowing the heat is about to get turned on.

Hmm.. I know my response did look sorta boiler plate, but that was not a blanket response on my part by any means.

@19Mateo83 is in Charlotte, NC, so I looked up Charlotte climatology. Looks like March is on average above 40F, so the azaleas ought to be budding then.

Basically the way I figure the very best time for an azalea repot is a time when the plant has the very most time to grow out and gain maximum strength before winter. So that’s why I answered the question that way.

cheers
DSD sends

We have had an unseasonably cool year so far but that won’t last too much longer. We will be getting hot soon. I’m hesitant to push that window knowing the heat is about to get turned on.

Instead of mucking with slippotting… if it’s a healthy azlaea it’s likely chock full of roots and good through the winter.

Think about doing an alternative task, getting a head start on cutting back and continue on the top hamper to get the tree started into bonsai shape. This action puts these two tasks on different years and is better for the tree, A cut back when it’s healthy is way better then attempting a cut back the same year you repot…. .

Others may disagree, but I have found cutting back to the innermost foliage on a branch is healthiest for the plant and assures back budding. So a cut back in stages vs a radical cut back? Yet your tree, your choice!

cheers
DSD sends

@Deep Sea Diver, I'm so glad someone is pushing back against unproven and overstated advice, which seems so widespread in this hobby. For all the cautionary advice about how to water and repot azaleas, what has always killed mine (always in afternoon shade) is heat. I notice you live in Washington, which must be great for them! After enough deaths, this past two years I've figured out a system that's working well for me. My most heat tolerant azaleas are outdoors, the less heat tolerant live inside under grow lights thru summer (cue the pearl clutching), and my two everblooming azaleas live under grow lights all year. They seem quite happy so far.

Thanks, I know it seems that way from my my initial post, yet it was actually much more about me being an avid experimenter then just pushing back. I always want to see how things work for myself.

Also I followed Micheal Hagedorn and Jonas’s advice, get a lot of trees and try things out.

You seem to have engaged in a number of experiments in working out what will keep your azaleas happy. Well done on that. Perhaps you’d be willing to post what you learned?

cheers
DSD sends

Gosh, I’m always mystified with the different information I get from various sources, online, books by “experts” articles written by practitioners.

For only one example, well two, and not to take this as a knock please, it’s just an example of the confusion I have faced in the past five years with bonsai advice.

Recently a very respected BNutter wrote:
  • “Never, ever “blast” the nursery soil out with high pressure water. You’ll kill gajillions of root hairs. Tease out as much soil as you possibly can, and then gently swish the root mass in a five-gallon bucket of lukewarm water to remove the rest.”
Seems pretty straightford…. I’ve also heard this advice from a number of other sources…Yet in only one counter example after reading all the articles and books and posts I could find on azaleas in the PBM library of articles/ BN/Internet (Crazy? Yep. Well I was laid up for 18 months with a broken chest, so what else did I have to do?)

… International Bonsai #54 Developing Informal upright style Azalea Bonsai was the first article I found after a 5 minute search.

“….Care of roots. After pruning the branches The roots should be cleaned out. First remove old soil with a root hook or chopstick. Remove thick roots with a concave pruner or knob cutter. The gently remove further soil gently with a chopstick….“

Now wait for it….

“The final soil should be removed with a high pressure hose or a strong spray from a garden hose. The roots should be bare without any old soil. Cut the roots to fit into a training container.” (The second advice doesn’t mention temperature of the wash water.)

I should note here this wasn’t a one off. I’ve read this before in satsuki articles before.

So being very inquisitive of nature and one who doesn’t like absolutes, I tried out both methods over the past years, just to see which method worked best. Tub washing with a chopstick and a gentle flow on the water wand and using my watering wand up to full bore at times with a chopstick to clear alway all of the soil. Both lived and both responded similarly over time.

I used whatever temperature came out of the water faucet. It was usually pretty darn cold.

The only exceptions on recover times were when dead patches of roots were discovered, or big roots impeding a good nebari were reduced. As would be expected, these trees where the roots were impaired or need to be cut back took longer to recover, yet recover they did. In similar time frames with others that had their roots reduced.

Keep in mind it is my normal practice to trim the roots on initial rootwashing/repotting so that the azaleas have a good start on a nebari. Roots first after all. This sometimes lead to some solid root mass reductions. If this occurs Sphagnum moss is gently packed into key places of the nebari/roots in an effort to enhance growth.

A couple recent images, just for ground truth. Both methods.

View attachment 437900 View attachment 437898

Now one could always say to me, “Sure, it worked for you in a couple cases, but…. that was only a couple azaleas. Maybe you got lucky or were sloppy in observing.” Hmm…. Absolutely don’t expect any give on my part here. Why?

Over the past four years I’ve done both procedures to over a hundred different azaleas. Multiple ages from 3 to over 20 yoa.

obtw: Since I was getting similar results by last year I flat gave up root washing in a tub, except for certain cases, in lieu of hose root washing. It’s generally faster and where the grower has used a gritty blend of media, like Riverbend or lots of bark chips like Kusa-farm and Nuccios this is pretty much the very best option.

Here’s the upper deck with over 50 rootwashed (either way) azaleas.

oh yes, I plant all of my rootwashed azaleas in 90/10 Kanuma/Pumice. It works even in the torrential rains in a PacNW spring. This may or may not work for you. Your tree your choice of media.

View attachment 437901

Of course aftercare is very important. I don’t do anything special. If its cool outside they might go into a cold frame or on the greenhouse shelf for a couple days until the weather moderates. Then up on the bench basically in morning sun and afternoon shade. Sometimes I water, sometimes not.

One thought: Does that mean everyone, especially the first timer should waterwash their azalea roots with a waterwand up to on full force and a chopstick in hand this?

Whoa! Not so fast if you are new to this. I’d recommend going slow for the first couple azaleas. Use a tub, chopstick and a gentle flow on your water wand, just to get a really long close up view of the lay of azalea rootland. After all, one should crawl and then walk before attempting running. But after that… Katie bar the door!

After all that I’m a bit more hesitant to accept blanket advice and absolutes in bonsai. I listen take it in and test out the ideas, then make up my own mind from there on.

Oh yes! In another case I was told on BN by another very respected member…”One can not, absolutely not grow azalea whips without a greenhouse.” (This was before I installed two myself. I still dont use it to grow whips…).

And….being very inquisitive of nature and one who doesn’t like absolutes, I tried to grow whips on my own… check out the bench

View attachment 437902

Ok I hope everyone takes this thread in good humor and with an open mind. I’m certainly not trying to demean anyones expertise, knowledge or years of working with bonsai. I totally respect you all and appreciate the chance to participate with so many awesome, incredible folks! I’m just pointing out what all of us know… sort of… that bonsai isn’t a perfect art…. Often it depends.

cheers! Now I gotta get back to work, those darn trees don’t wire themselves!
DSD sends
I’m flattered, even indirectly, to be referred to as respected. As to root washing, I had noticed in hindsight after three or four years, that I was losing trees, mostly nursery azaleas, where the only common thread seemed to be the way in which I removed the nursery gunk from the roots. Last May I purchased two Gerard’s ‘Hot Shot’ azaleas from the same pallet at a Home Depot. When they were mostly done blooming, I pruned them to shape and put them in medium grain kanuma in identical plastic grow pots. I then proceeded to treat them identically in every respect—watering, eventual fertilizer, nutrients, even sun rotation. The only difference was that one got washed with a pressure nozzle, while the other got chopsticked and tweezed to the greatest extent possible, to where probably 80% of the original soil was gone. By Labor Day, the one that got root-blasted was dead, while the other thrives to this day. Having suffered through statistics and econometrics as an undergrad, I know that when n=1 you have a pretty weak basis for a conclusion, but this came on the heels of the aforementioned string of observations that seemed to point in one direction.

One possible differentiator might be the type of nozzle and how much pressure is involved. We have a power washer that could rip the siding off your doublewide, but a gentle wash with a pistol nozzle on a garden hose set to ‘shower’ is a different kettle of fish altogether.

“The more I know, the less I understand. Everything I thought I’d figured out, I have to learn again.” [Don Henley]

The majority of the people who share their thoughts here, most of the time, are mostly correct. In that context, our friend DSD is an odds-on bet for the right answer, almost all the time.

@shinmai it sounds like the difference in results probably is the degree of pressure. That would support the position that advice is always tentative, and is most useful when it's most detailed, rather than reductive. It would be interesting to see photos of "pressure washed" roots that were so damaged they subsequently died and "pressure washed" roots that didn't seem bothered by the damage. I'll apply some of my own advice here in a minute and attempt to capture a nice photo of my indoor azaleas...

My current collection of indoor azaleas, from left to right:
-Unknown everblooming double pink azalea purchased from the supermarket in spring of 2020, continuously growing and blooming in its current location since then. Lights above are Feit Electric 19W red spectrum in the back, and 30W red and blue spectrum in front. It started as a braided trunk lollipop topiary, and I've been gradually pruning away the thickest upper branches since then, while raining in the more aggressive of the new branches that have formed lower down. The goal is to get it to a columnar shape and keep it that way for as many years (decades?) as it takes for the trunks to fully fuse.
-4 to 5 hanabin starters that I'd like to possibly braid/fuse in time. I've only had these 2 months, but they have bloomed continuously during that time. No new vegetative growth so far. It will probably go outside in late october and stay there until early march.
-Another no id supermarket braided lollipop, this one bought just last month. One trunk gets white blooms with flecks and streaks of pink. The other two get deep pink blooms. It's in the very beginning stages of pulling the trunks closer together at the top and eliminating disproportionate and crossing branches. Lights above are Feit Electric 19W red and blue spectrum in the back, and 30W white spectrum in front.
-Thyme leaf azalea with pale, cool pink blooms. About 3 months indoors so far. Will also go outside for winter.

I keep the lights running 13 hours per day in winter, 15 in summer. The south facing window behind them lets in dappled light (filtered thru my outdoor bonsai shelves and a 5ft overhang) as well. I have a few j maples inside too, but I'll post those another time, in their own thread or on my profile.

Attachments

• 20220526_203858-01.jpeg
    20220526_203858-01.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220526_203948.jpg
    20220526_203948.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 83
@shinmai Yes,well respected!

You are right an n=1 is just the start of an experiment. It doesn’t give one enough practice to get a process nailed down.

A couple notes and some photos. To help clarify the process.

The process mentioned uses a water wand, not a pressure nozzle), up to full pressure when washing the roots and using a chopstick. (Either a homemade chunky sharp chopstick, or the standard chop stick)

DCD440E3-7F6D-408B-84C3-DD07EC7A2630.jpeg

The process mentioned that all the soil is to be removed, The last 20% can be the hardest, but leaving that last 20% packed underneath the trunk can cause various issues afterwards. At best it will leave a packed dry soil wedge in the very top of the shin.. killing all the shin roots. So the azalea has to survive on the peripheral roots.

To clear all the soil out this one has to work into the top of the roots, down the side and into the bottom with both the water wand and the chopstick. I often turn the nursery pot upside down and put the root ball on the pot while working the top.

CD579A68-9D6E-48C6-B22D-E00903BF3646.jpegBB601A6D-0DA7-46EE-9BC2-1330ED4A7F20.jpeg551DBBD3-CAA2-4BC3-BD65-4B2F220A326C.jpeg

While working on clearing the roots the idea is not just to clean the roots, it’s also to comb the roots out and to set up the nebari, trimming the roots so the nebari will be well placed and spaced and remove any gnarly, misshapen, crossing, or dead roots. If the nebari is not set up properly at this point, the nebari will be very difficult to develop in the future. If done right here, developing the nebari is much easier… slowly raising the well formed nebari during each years work.

About 30% to go
D91162DD-A7D0-404C-A8A7-5127A186641B.jpeg70C232F2-62A0-4C71-B9D6-96DF5B0D2279.jpeg

Last 10% - all most done.
2B65FADC-C9CA-40AD-AAE2-1DD03BCD7764.jpeg8EAF23D8-A655-41BD-ACCD-AFFCE8D61125.jpeg

Hope this helps

Cheers
DSD sends

Attachments

• 17D31CBB-52A5-4A8B-B96F-CB2F6E029BB1.jpeg
    17D31CBB-52A5-4A8B-B96F-CB2F6E029BB1.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for clarifying. I think we’re essentially on the same page, and I defer to your broader base of experience. I have three box-store mutants on my work schedule this weekend.

@shinmai Yes,well respected!

You are right an n=1 is just the start of an experiment. It doesn’t give one enough practice to get a process nailed down.

A couple notes and some photos. To help clarify the process.

The process mentioned uses a water wand

While working on clearing the roots the idea is not just to clean the roots, it’s also to comb the roots out and to set up the nebari, trimming the roots so the nebari will be well placed and spaced and remove any gnarly, misshapen, crossing, or dead roots. If the nebari is not set up properly at this point, the nebari will be very difficult to develop in the future. If done right here, developing the nebari is much easier… slowly raising the well formed nebari during each years work.

About 30% to go
This is how I've always handled new azalea stock, I've never had one die unless I coupled the initial reduction with cutting it back to a stub simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom