Auffis 2020-2025 azelea contest entry

Auffi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a side note. Here is one of the another graveyard dumpster azeleas I found. I hope to find many more and have a graveyard collection sometime ^^

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_123256.jpg
    IMG_20210423_123256.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210423_123249.jpg
    IMG_20210423_123249.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 10

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As a side note. Here is one of the another graveyard dumpster azeleas I found. I hope to find many more and have a graveyard collection sometime ^^
You have a lot of potential with this one here......I mean a lot of potential!

How tall is this one? You should have entered this one for the contest.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Time is of the essence in bonsai, -not the time saved by short-cutting the process, but by the hands-off time where the only thing happening is recovery from past insults. This tree has had more insults in the last year than would be good for a healthy tree. Ripped out, potted repotted, deflowered (that was good), hard edit top & roots, spring hard edit removing buds generated last year. At any step, it would have been better for the health of the tree to stop for a year and let it catch up. For all intents and purposes, the tree is no further ahead after one year of care than it would have been on April 16, 2020.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Time is of the essence in bonsai, -not the time saved by short-cutting the process, but by the hands-off time where the only thing happening is recovery from past insults. This tree has had more insults in the last year than would be good for a healthy tree. Ripped out, potted repotted, deflowered (that was good), hard edit top & roots, spring hard edit removing buds generated last year. At any step, it would have been better for the health of the tree to stop for a year and let it catch up. For all intents and purposes, the tree is no further ahead after one year of care than it would have been on April 16, 2020.
Precisely! For those are the reasons I suggested give it time to recover.

Auffi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The other one is new. Found just a few weeks ago. And it doesn't seem to fit the rules. It was "styled" before.
Yeah, as I said patience is not my thing. I know I could have done better. But there it is and now I have 4 years to let it grow. And as I'm new in this hobby every move is a learning experience.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

<<<<< It will show here.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. Doesn’t look in top shape at all! It looks like a root issue me me yet… there are several other probable causes

Reading backwards it seems you’ve done a lot to this guy, including two media changeouts in a year along with a drastic top prune! That’s a lot of insults in a short period of time. So many problems could of been triggered from these events.

Can us tell more specifics….

When you changed the media did you clean the roots completely of the old media? Did you reduce the roots?

How much sun is your azalea getting (especially recently),

Plaeas describe your watering routine and also your fertilizing timing/routine, including type.amounts?

cheers
DSD sends

Auffi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes all of that. ^^
I tried to leave the rootball intact. First ist was very cold and wet. When the weather got better I put it in full sun and gave to much fertilizer. When I saw it struggling I put it in shade and stopped fertilizing. I'm now mentally prepared that this one won't make it through.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would speculate that the older, dead and dying foliage reflects a period of bad exposure, perhaps weather related and/or insults, and the newer live foliage reflects newer conditions and/or semi-recuperation from previous insults and/or bad weather/exposure.

Don't do anything now except gently picking off dead leaves to admit light & air.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would speculate that the older, dead and dying foliage reflects a period of bad exposure, perhaps weather related and/or insults, and the newer live foliage reflects newer conditions and/or semi-recuperation from previous insults and/or bad weather/exposure.

Don't do anything now except gently picking off dead leaves to admit light & air.
Concur with @Forsoothe except the plant will need some sun to survive

You might want to try this…

A. Dappled sunlight or bright shade in the morning before 10:30. You can use screening if that’s not possible. I use doubled window screen for cuttings in their earliest stage, which ought to apply.

B. Also mist the leaves gently 1-2x a day as long as the leaves can dry well before evening.

cheers
DSD sends

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Concur with @Forsoothe except the plant will need some sun to survive

You might want to try this…

A. Dappled sunlight or bright shade in the morning before 10:30. You can use screening if that’s not possible. I use doubled window screen for cuttings in their earliest stage, which ought to apply.

B. Also mist the leaves gently 1-2x a day as long as the leaves can dry well before evening.

cheers
DSD sends
I concur except misting is more helpful to fungi than it is to insulted plants, heavily dependent upon how organic the media is or isn't.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I concur except misting is more helpful to fungi than it is to insulted plants, heavily dependent upon how organic the media is or isn't.
No worries by me either way.

Gently misting azaleas healthy leaves, given they can dry well before nightfall is standard ER protocol for azaleas that are in distress. However that would also, as always, depend.... In this situation on the local humidity and wind. High humidity and no wind, don't mist.

btw: There is another condition that is worrisome here. It seems from a reread of the comms above that the OP didn't clean off the rootball of foreign, non kanuma soil. That could also of created the situation, or exacerbated it, imho, of course.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom