Ashe Juniper heading back home.

Whose is it again? I can’t remember ? ? yours ? Lol

Much delayed response apology. Forgot about thread:rolleyes:. Momentous SW White Pine Casade owned by Greg Brenden, Milwaukee, OR our Manzanita guru;).

They can brave a little cold. In a pot, I would not let them spend much time below freezing. Short dips are OK, but extensive long periods of temperatures in the 20s should be avoided.

S
How did the Ashe Juniper adjust to your new climate? Does the above still hold true? I guess your new zone is still within the zone range. I saw a reference for down to 6a in the ground, which is my new zone. But then adjusting down another zone for being in a pot might make me too cold.

Even during our short negative temp polar freezes, I have been able to keep roots above 25F without heaters. But that sounds like it might be too cold for them based on your advice.

They must not need much dormancy if you had them in Houston. I wonder how they would do under LEDs in a unheated garage at 40-60F?

How did the Ashe Juniper adjust to your new climate? Does the above still hold true? I guess your new zone is still within the zone range. I saw a reference for down to 6a in the ground, which is my new zone. But then adjusting down another zone for being in a pot might make me too cold.

Even during our short negative temp polar freezes, I have been able to keep roots above 25F without heaters. But that sounds like it might be too cold for them based on your advice.

They must not need much dormancy if you had them in Houston. I wonder how they would do under LEDs in an unheated garage at 40-60F?
So that one is not in Virginia yet. In May I make my long road trip to California to retrieve the west coast collection and my wife gets to see what I’ve been hiding away out there for all these years. Perhaps I can convince her that divorce is way more expensive than bonsai? 🤞

However, I do have a couple of other Ashe Juniper here. I winter them in the unheated high tunnel. They do experience nights below freezing, but, because of the high tunnel, generally thaw during the day, even when the outside temps are below freezing. In the high tunnel, no wind and no frost. When temperatures get down in the low 20s, I put them on the ground. When they fall into the low teens or single digits, I put them in the barn where I have a space heater to keep things a bit warmer.

So far, there has been no problem with the Ashe juniper. They have grown very strongly all summer and have seemed to adapt easily to the Virginia climate.

- S

So that one is not in Virginia yet. In May I make my long road trip to California to retrieve the west coast collection and my wife gets to see what I’ve been hiding away out there for all these years. Perhaps I can convince her that divorce is way more expensive than bonsai? 🤞

However, I do have a couple of other Ashe Juniper here. I winter them in the unheated high tunnel. They do experience nights below freezing, but, because of the high tunnel, generally thaw during the day, even when the outside temps are below freezing. In the high tunnel, no wind and no frost. When temperatures get down in the low 20s, I put them on the ground. When they fall into the low teens or single digits, I put them in the barn where I have a space heater to keep things a bit warmer.

So far, there has been no problem with the Ashe juniper. They have grown very strongly all summer and have seemed to adapt easily to the Virginia climate.

- S
Perhaps I can be of some assistance, After all downsizing is becoming more important as you are aging. I could pick up some and bring them to the Island before they create a problem. :eek: It is warmer here and they will be happier.

Back
Top Bottom