Arakawa Air Layers Coming Soon!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The air layers on my nursery Arakawa Japanese maple started rooting. They will be separated in the next month and be ready to ship in the fall. PM me if interested, and I will save your info.

All of the layers will have 1.5 inch trunks, or smaller this season. Next season, I will be layering the thicker trunk sections.

20230530_114557.jpgScreenshot_20230530_153318_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230530_153325_Gallery.jpg

theshoebox

Seed
Reaction score
I will gladly take one depending on price!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That’s awesome. Glad to see people propagating. I forgot to take cuttings this year but hoping to get started next! We need more arakawa.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After having the mother tree for two years, I understand why arakawa is hard to come by. Last year, all my cuttings/layers failed, and this year, I had about a 60% success rate (usually, I have about a 90+% success rate). In the failures, the cut site didnt bridge, but just calloused and didn't produce any roots.

They are hard to come by for a reason, but in time I will have more to go around.

Attachments

• 20231105_101911.jpg
    20231105_101911.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 31

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
After having the mother tree for two years, I understand why arakawa is hard to come by. Last year, all my cuttings/layers failed, and this year, I had about a 60% success rate (usually, I have about a 90+% success rate). In the failures, the cut site didnt bridge, but just calloused and didn't produce any roots.

They are hard to come by for a reason, but in time I will have more to go around.

Please don't mislead people with false generalizations. You happened to have a bad experience with your attempt in particular; don't blame the cultivar.

My cuttings and air layers of 'Arakawa' result in the same success rates as many other Acer palmatum cultivars that we use in bonsai.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please don't mislead people with false generalizations. You happened to have a bad experience with your attempt in particular; don't blame the cultivar.

My cuttings and air layers of 'Arakawa' result in the same success rates as many other Acer palmatum cultivars that we use in bonsai.
That's good to hear.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW, I find that the young (non-rough bark) stems root faster than many others......for me at least. I've not tried rooting branches that have already begun to develop the rough bark though.

Top Bottom