Aqua bonsai

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
As everybody has his own opinion about which soil to use, how about just getting rid of it alltogether, so how do you water then you say? Well just put it in the water...
Here are some pictures, and to show you its a real thing this is the website,
http://www.aquabonsai.jp/index.html
Though i dont think im jumping this ship anytime soon..
image.jpg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Ah, just thought this thing so... Perhaps i already am...
image.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's a lot more difficult than just sticking a plant in water and watching it grow. You have to provide oxygen and nutrients to the water so that the tree can actually live in it.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
nice a little note a couple pages into the site...
" ※ There is a possibility that it wither commercial bonsai (the bonsai that are not hydroponic reduction) as soon as as it is to use. Please use the AQUA BONSAI dedicated bonsai always.
          ※ by tree species, there is a bonsai that is not suitable for hydroponic reduction. "

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
how do these not drown? hydroponics utilizes air stones to oxygenate the water. this seems like death.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Si was just telling me about a guy who is growing agave in 100% water. Not sure if there was anything special (chemically) about it, but when you can grow succulents in water, I think you can pretty much grow ANYTHING in it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The first picture shows the plants suspended and growing above the water. The roots in the water would be the ones we trim off. Reminds me of plants with root growing out of the bottom of the container taking water from the tray.

Grimmy

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Old news but good news. I wonder if it is imported Japanese water?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a gimmick, and just that. These aren't meant to be sustainable, or even "bonsai."

They're curiosities cruising down the same highway to death as most mallsai do. It's mallsai without the expense of soil and bigger pot...less $ for shipping (genius).

The plants were obviously not developed completely (or even partially) in water. Judging from the root masses, these plants plucked out of their pots and soil and plunked into water probably within the last few months.

Nice way to convert a $5-$20 seedling into a $180 "gee whiz" fad.

Top Bottom