Anyone have experience with shrubby cinquefoil?

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I was looking through one of my books ("Bonsai" Kunio Kobayashi) and saw a gorgeous photo of a 'shrubby cinquefoil.' It's otherwise known as Dasiphora fruticosa or Potentilla fruticosa. I guess it's a higher altitude shrub and there's a wide distribution in the US.
Anyone grown one or have any knowledge of it?
Thanks,
Ian
cinquefoil.jpg

Wow that is a really nice one. Here is mine, they are very tough and easy to grow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 55
Wow, I've never seen a potentilla as thick as that first one. I have them in my front yard as a hedge but the stems never seem to get very thick. They seem to prefer to throw out new shoots from he ground rather than keep on growing from the old stem. I wonder if it is a different variety?

Dave, is potentilla winter hardy in St. Paul in a pot or do you over-winter protected?

The only thing I leave out in this weather is Amur maple. I am not sure if potentilla is winter hardy in a pot.

Hmm, I just looked it up and potentilla is hardy (at least in the ground) down to level 2! That's a seriously hardy plant. Same as hardyness level as Amur maple. Now youve got me wanting to go selectively dig up my hedge. :D

I leave mine out in zone 3, no problems except rodents chewing on them within the snowpack.

Back
Top Bottom