Anyone grow finger limes?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Is there anyone who is growing finger limes and might have fruit this year?
I keep buying seeds just for them to be something else.
I'd really like to find some seeds from a member here or even a couple limes themselves.
I just don't know where else to look.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mine are dwarfed, they flower every now and then.. But I don't think the fruits will yield anything substantial. Shipping seeds to the US however, is even less likely to be fruitful.

If you know anyone in the restaurant business, they might be able to get a couple fruits. There's usually a few seeds in there.
People in warmer regions of the US might be growing them, getting a couple cuttings is less of a crapshoot, so I can definitely recommend that.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I bought seeds from a guy in texas but I think it was too cold for shipping, none have germinate yet.
I'm planning on just getting a small plant later this summer

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They seem to take their time. If memory serves me right - and it rarely does, especially considering I germinated mine 8 years ago - it took about 3 weeks.
I got mine from Australia, they were dried and packaged, spent at least 3 weeks in transit. But I got a 80% germination rate on them, which is a decent rate I believe.

Do watch out for fungal issues, because fungi seem to eat these seeds alive. A bit of copper sulphate isn't a luxury but a recommendation.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
They seem to take their time. If memory serves me right - and it rarely does, especially considering I germinated mine 8 years ago - it took about 3 weeks.
I got mine from Australia, they were dried and packaged, spent at least 3 weeks in transit. But I got a 80% germination rate on them, which is a decent rate I believe.

Do watch out for fungal issues, because fungi seem to eat these seeds alive. A bit of copper sulphate isn't a luxury but a recommendation.
Its been over 4 weeks, I'm thinking they are duds. Maybe I should dig them up and take a look.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Its been over 4 weeks, I'm thinking they are duds. Maybe I should dig them up and take a look.
I always say wait a month unless you know better. Two if you don't need the space for anything else.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I ended up with 4 tiny little seedlings. They are only a couple inches tall but at least they came up.
Repotted into tall cups so the roots can run. Going outside soon

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice!
I planted a lemon seed over winter just for fun, and it took a while to germinate too. A little over two months if I recall.
Peppers take a good 8 weeks, so I figure anything less than that we can call fast.

Pics?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Nice!
I planted a lemon seed over winter just for fun, and it took a while to germinate too. A little over two months if I recall.
Peppers take a good 8 weeks, so I figure anything less than that we can call fast.

Pics?
I've never had citrus take so long to germinate. The seeds were quite dry though, sure that what a big part of the isses.

Not much to show, they are pretty scrawny things. The bigger leaved seedling is a kumquat.
I just planted some sweet kumquat seeds, hope the do well.

Attachments

• 20220608_074432.jpg
    20220608_074432.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220608_074438.jpg
    20220608_074438.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom