Any hope for saving this Dwarf Scheferella?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So I've had this dwarf Scheferella for 4 years, and have been developing a elevated root system for 3. I repotted it and took off the foil that the raised roots had been developing in.

Now it is not looking great and I'm not sure if it is past saving or not. Suggestions?

PXL_20240518_045725271.jpg

I repotted in January and had a lot more leaves. I did err in putting it in a bag as an informal greenhouse but many of the leaves stuck to the bag and got wet.

Photos from my repot.

Attachments

• PXL_20240113_201504575.jpg
    PXL_20240113_201504575.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240113_195357616.jpg
    PXL_20240113_195357616.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 20
January is not a great repot time for Schefflera (for you). Summer, when they are active is by far the better repot season for most tropicals though it can be done if conditions indoors are good. Decline may be because it could not recover from the repot through the cooler months.
It appears you were modest with root removal (at least for schefflera) so physical repot should not have caused this. Something post repot is more likely and I'd guess conditions - probably watering. The informal greenhouse may have caused reduced water uptake and consequent wet soil and root rot?
Dehydration is another possibility if you've also erred on the side of caution with watering.
Unfortunately physical symptoms of both conditions are similar so only you will be able to guess which is likely.
The leafless stems appear to be dead. Bark is wrinkled which is usually advanced drying of the wood.
The remaining branch obviously has some life so there is still some hope if you can work out what's causing the problem.
It usually takes a lot to stop Schefflera but you may have managed it in this case. Fingers crossed you can salvage something but please don't hold your breath.

Back
Top Bottom