Another Monster

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well, here's the second of two monster Ficus I purchased from Fred Janson at Hollow Creek Bonsai. This guy is roughly the same size as the other, but this one is more upright.
tL0v3fZ.jpg

dVG3nH0.jpg

Rd7L24U.jpg

zusFjxq.jpg

This is the only part that scares me about this tree, this large wound. Suggestions?
i4bpEOV.jpg

dk1dAGF.jpg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dude, make a huge uro. "Not on a ficus!!!" Make it different. Make it yours.

+1 on an uro. You'll never be able to heal a wound that big. Just made it really gnarly - who knows, you might even like it as the front!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I do like the thought of using it to create a uro. That could be interesting, so long as it doesn't rot at all.

I plan on bringing it up to the Meehans sometime and seeing what they suggest.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would gouge out the top of the wound, not the bottom as there is a nice green root there. Then I would work some of those upper roots through the wound as a root graft and fill it that way. Ficus will heal over fairly quick in a growing situation, and new roots at that area would certainly boost growth in there.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. With roots. Seems to be plenty of those! You could just lay them down over it.

But I'm not against a URO either!

Sorce

reiko1078

Seed
Reaction score
i just recently learned that you can take aerial roots from other parts of the tree and staple them pretty much where ever you want and they should graft. these roots will help heal the area they are growing from faster. just a thought

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
Did Roy Nagatoshi give you any suggestions on what to do with the big wound?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Did Roy Nagatoshi give you any suggestions on what to do with the big wound?

Not so much, but I didn't really ask for it. I'm just going to pull out the power tools and get to work on it.

808an

Seedling
Reaction score
Ryan, I am a newbie here, I am very much interested in your plans for the ficus. Any updates on this tree?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I took it to Meehan's and had that big wound treated and covered in paste. I repotted it and it's shooting out tons of growth now.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm waiting... :D

Lol, well don't hold your breath! I still haven't 100% decided on a front. Roy picked one side as the front, Owen picked another side. We'll see tomorrow what looks best when I grab some shots of it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've really just been letting this tree grow. It grew better in the shade. Sure, leaves were larger, but boy did it push some growth. I'm thinking getting it back there would be the way to go. The wire needs to come off, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

015.JPG

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You should graft 3-4 saplings across the wounds, let them grow for about 4-5 month, fertlalize like mad with organics, rinse and repeat till the wound is healed and wire as need be. 2 years later a show able tree! Oh and full sun with good watering you'll get much better growth.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You should graft 3-4 saplings across the wounds, let them grow for about 4-5 month, fertlalize like mad with organics, rinse and repeat till the wound is healed and wire as need be. 2 years later a show able tree! Oh and full sun with good watering you'll get much better growth.

Yup, I'm well aware, thanks!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This one is up for sale if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom