Amur Maple 001

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MACH5 asked me to post some of my Amur maple (A. Ginnala) projects... so here's my largest one.

I bought this tree in the summer of 2013. The tree was about 7' tall and I chopped it to just over a foot for the main trunk, leaving a strong branch to heal the cut and start on the new trunk section/apex. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures before the chop. -- I actually cut the tree in about half at the nursery in order to take it home.

Here's the tree in late winter/early spring 2014.

I repotted the tree this spring. I was able to take it from a 15 gallon nursery can to a shallow training pot. I may switch it to a box, but it fit perfectly in the pot this spring so I didn't bother with the box at that point. (Sorry for the crummy pictures. I just snapped a couple as I was working.) I did a bit more root work and finished washing the roots after these pic's.

Here it is in the pot a couple of weeks ago.

Here it is after I cut it back and did a bit more branch selection recently. The tree is already filling in again. (I don't have those pictures yet though.)

There is some great flare in the nebari already under the soil. I have a couple more strong roots that need to be cut back over time, and a long way to go in general with this tree. But I'm happy with the material and where it's headed. -- The main cut seems to be healing more slowly than I would like, but that's not the end of the world. :)

The bark on these is great too! Even at a young age.

I'd love to hear any thoughts and/or experiences with this species. Thanks!

Dan

Very nice Dan! Love these maples. I think you are well on the way with it and promises to be a really nice tree in a few years. I like the low branches and bark. Maples tend to look good with low branches at least I think so :rolleyes:

Some questions and things to consider. I would slightly hollow out your cut to ensure that is heals well without creating a bulge as it closes. Also curious as to what your plans are for the apex? I would wire it and have it bend opposite the direction of the trunk to start creating some movement as it grows. I would also think about cutting further back the thicker straight-ish branches to create more taper and movement. And last... as you let your top grow and thicken you might want to support it. I usually build out of 1/4" wood dowels a sort of teepee to support them while they grow.

Thanks again for sharing! :)

Nice tree. You are right, that bark is great. I always wonder the reactions bonsai people get when they buy a tree and hack it back hard right at the nursery before taking it home!

These aren't too common for sale by me, but I've been half looking for one. They are supposed to be among the most cold hardy maples, right? Good luck with it, looking forward to updates.

Thanks guys! And thanks for the tips M5. I'll get to work! :)

These aren't too common for sale by me, but I've been half looking for one. They are supposed to be among the most cold hardy maples, right? Good luck with it, looking forward to updates.

Yes extremely tough! I keep both of mine outside next to a wall with a layer of mulch. They were subjected to temps of -0F. Did not loose a single twig! Do not attempt same with a Japanese maple!! :eek:

Yes extremely tough! I keep both of mine outside next to a wall with a layer of mulch. They were subjected to temps of -0F. Did not loose a single twig! Do not attempt same with a Japanese maple!! :eek:

My ginnalas survived 16 degrees below zero in December, 2013.
Many guides list them as Zone 2.
The common name Amur comes from their growing in the Amur river drainage in Siberia.
They're pretty bombproof from a cold standpoint.

They take 20 to 30 below without winter protection at all. I have one in a bucket that sits out with the tamaracks all winter.

My 3rd year seedlings in plastic pots spent the winter on the ground, under the bench, no heat supplied, and leafed out nicely in spring, after -17 F and a couple weeks of nights in the -5 to -10 range. They are very cold hardy.

I am liking them so far for bonsai

Your tree is coming along nicely, I really like the bark.

Hey folks!

Leo, I just brought up that Pom article you wrote at BSG in the Pom seedling post here, maybe you can paste it here for Hunter 3. ?

AMUR! Amore! I dug one late spring (finally) and it established and is booming. Beautiful little red and green leaves, short nodes, two shoots are now six, and It really wants to bud low where i need, but I cant chop it to induce. My patience is growing!

This is the maple to have up here IMO.

Sorce

Had to go take some Pixs! I love these Maples.

Noticed the low branchs tip wilted. I must have whacked it on the window bringing it in some time. Maybe that low bud will pop!

Definitely a grow out project. I want to get the base where the wiggle is pretty fat. Has some nebari. But with the tree growing flat for a while, it will make for a tough project. Maybe ill put it in a deep pot in spring and find a suitable rock to put it on in 16.

Sorce

Attachments

• CAM00757.jpg
    CAM00757.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 28
  • CAM00756.jpg
    CAM00756.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 30
  • CAM00758.jpg
    CAM00758.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 30
  • CAM00759.jpg
    CAM00759.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 28
MACH5 asked me to post some of my Amur maple (A. Ginnala) projects... so here's my largest one.

I bought this tree in the summer of 2013. The tree was about 7' tall and I chopped it to just over a foot for the main trunk, leaving a strong branch to heal the cut and start on the new trunk section/apex. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures before the chop. -- I actually cut the tree in about half at the nursery in order to take it home.

Here's the tree in late winter/early spring 2014.

I repotted the tree this spring. I was able to take it from a 15 gallon nursery can to a shallow training pot. I may switch it to a box, but it fit perfectly in the pot this spring so I didn't bother with the box at that point. (Sorry for the crummy pictures. I just snapped a couple as I was working.) I did a bit more root work and finished washing the roots after these pic's.

Here it is in the pot a couple of weeks ago.

Here it is after I cut it back and did a bit more branch selection recently. The tree is already filling in again. (I don't have those pictures yet though.)

There is some great flare in the nebari already under the soil. I have a couple more strong roots that need to be cut back over time, and a long way to go in general with this tree. But I'm happy with the material and where it's headed. -- The main cut seems to be healing more slowly than I would like, but that's not the end of the world. :)

The bark on these is great too! Even at a young age.

I'd love to hear any thoughts and/or experiences with this species. Thanks!

Dan
Old thread, but do you still have it?

Back
Top Bottom