American Hornbeam. Can it be rescued?

Headhunter843

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been at this for about a year now and could use some help. I purchased this American Hornbeam from a nursery a couple months ago and it has been a constant struggle to keep it alive in the south Georgia heat. I moved it under 50% shade cloth and it seemed to perk up a bit, but that was short lived. I really think it has been overwatered now. We have had a lot of rain over the past few days and that seems to have accelerated its decline. You'll notice that the newer green leaves are drooping. I had hoped to let it grow the rest of the year or maybe longer before I chop it. Now I’m stumped. Should I chop it now? I will have no limbs or leaves remaining if I do. OR should I defoliate it and chop it about half-way down leaving some limbs below the chop for now. I’m concerned about root pruning at this time of year, but I’m interested in what you guys may suggest.

Thank you for giving this your consideration!

Attachments

• hornbeam 1.jpg
    hornbeam 1.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 28
  • hornbeam 2.jpg
    hornbeam 2.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 30
This tree has some kind of root issue. Could be overwatering, could be underwatering. Symptoms on the top of the tree are mostly the same, since in either case, the roots can no longer reliably transfer water to the top of the tree.

Exactly what is causing those root issues we can't really tell, since it would require us to look into the soil, understand its care etc. Does the soil drain when top watered? Does the water stay on top of the surface for a while or does it drain immediately? If it lingers, soil may be too mucky. If it drains, could be too dry. How often do you water? Do you water when the tree needs it, or when you can get to it? Watering on a set schedule can result in overwatering.

Hornbeam should be kept in partial shade, as it is an understory species and doesn't like direct intense sunlight for long.

I would tip the pot to the side, see if you can slip the rootball up to get a look at it. I would avoid any root work, defoliation, or other drastic things at this point. Chopping it, removing leaves, etc. will force the already weak tree to use up strength (possibly all its remaining strength) to try and respond to those drastic injuries.

A good thing to do at this point, would be to wait until early autumn and have it limp along in the pot, then plant it out in the ground in late September. Fall is a good time to plant trees because roots remain active into winter, until the ground becomes too cold for growth.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that the Hornbeam is considered an understory tree. In addition to overwatering, it probably also received too much direct sun during it's first month - 6 weeks. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom