American elm (Ulmus americana)

bugnurd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m starting individual threads for each of my trees to track their growth, development, and work. Here is my American elm (Ulmus americana).

I’ve had my eye on this tree for a few years. It was growing in a dirt pile on a concrete slab. American elms seem to be able to grow anywhere.
IMG_7831.jpeg
IMG_7833.jpeg
IMG_4840.jpeg

I finally got the opportunity to dig it out this spring. I severed the taproot (which presumably grew into a crack in the concrete and was a big reason for its survival in this small dirt mound). It actually had a decent amount of roots, but I forgot to get a picture before potting it up in pure NAPA oil dry.
IMG_9092.jpeg

The branching was weird and bulgy, many growing perpendicular or downward. Not many good choices for a new leader, so a few days later I chopped it down to the first (only) upward growing branch which will be the new leader. When it was in the ground, it usually leafed out mid May, so I figure I have at least another month to wait for it to wake up.
IMG_9162.jpeg

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Love working with this species. They’ve handled everything my novice bonsai work has thrown at them. I’m in 7B and the leaf out is on. All leaves are like tiny little Chinese Elm leaves right now and look cool. Although still larger the leaves do seem to reduce a good deal compared to mature in ground trees.

Top Bottom