American Bonsai Processing Orders

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Today I had a chance to compare the cut of the 7" rounded concave vs my 7" KAneshin knob cutters are the edge of both tools is almost identical.

The AB leaves a chomped edge right in the middle of the cut every single time, the 11" does the same but more pronounced. I guess for crude quick work they will work fine, probably will use them as root cutters and to do the initial cutback before refining with knives and knob cutters.

1691279571384.jpeg

Kaneshin does not

1691279616504.jpeg

1691279646260.jpeg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's the one thing I hate about AB, their tools and products that I've ordered are amazing but their shipping is too s l o w..... Maybe Im just used to Amazon speed.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I placed an order on Black Friday and haven't heard anything about it being shipped. Definitely slower than we've come to expect, and I understand it's a big sales event. I'm just the type to completely forgot I placed this order if it never ships, so I sent them an email about it.

edit: HA! i got the same auto reply as Maiden. perhaps they should update it to say “we’re permanently understaffed”

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know if they rushed out my cutters because of the PayPal report, but as stated above, they didn't cut as expected from a reputable company. I have a few flat diamond grit files, but I know from experience that filing the round edges is tricky because you can't see where you are filing. I placed an order for a conical shaped honing file and I would fully recommend it for anyone that has a rounded concave cutter, knob cutter, or root cutter with rounded profile. I tested them after shaping them so the edge looked like my Kaneshin knob cutters, and the cut now is nice and smooth. Also, for anyone using stainless steel tools, diamond files in medium/fine grit will work 10 times better than metal files or sharpening stones. You can always polish the edge with a stone if you want, but the slight roughness left by the diamond grit is perfect because it slightly grab the tissue as it cuts preventing the edge from drifting.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know if they rushed out my cutters because of the PayPal report, but as stated above, they didn't cut as expected from a reputable company. I have a few flat diamond grit files, but I know from experience that filing the round edges is tricky because you can't see where you are filing. I placed an order for a conical shaped honing file and I would fully recommend it for anyone that has a rounded concave cutter, knob cutter, or root cutter with rounded profile. I tested them after shaping them so the edge looked like my Kaneshin knob cutters, and the cut now is nice and smooth. Also, for anyone using stainless steel tools, diamond files in medium/fine grit will work 10 times better than metal files or sharpening stones. You can always polish the edge with a stone if you want, but the slight roughness left by the diamond grit is perfect because it slightly grab the tissue as it cuts preventing the edge from drifting.

That’s a good idea about the conical file. diamond files are always the way to go. There is really nothing better. I haven’t tried but I would think fine grit would work best? So you use this particular file?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s a good idea about the conical file. diamond files are always the way to go. There is really nothing better. I haven’t tried but I would think fine grit would work best? So you use this particular file?
Yes, this is the one I use, the one I bought is the fine grit. The best thing about this one and most of the "diamond" files out there is that it is truly a honing file, but it removes a decent amount of material so you are not filing for hours to achieve your goal. Most "fine" diamond files I have used are really gritty, and leave heavy scratches, this one feels like a 1500 grit sandpaper profile, but when you run your fingers over it (the file) it feels no rougher than a 3000 grit.

I plan on eventually buying their half-round and their mini cone files. Will probably wait till I move into the new house.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, this is the one I use, the one I bought is the fine grit. The best thing about this one and most of the "diamond" files out there is that it is truly a honing file, but it removes a decent amount of material so you are not filing for hours to achieve your goal. Most "fine" diamond files I have used are really gritty, and leave heavy scratches, this one feels like a 1500 grit sandpaper profile, but when you run your fingers over it (the file) it feels no rougher than a 3000 grit.

I plan on eventually buying their half-round and their mini cone files. Will probably wait till I move into the new house.

You’re right. It’s the way to go saves time and money for sure.

I have 5 stones and anything under 1000 grit is more used for stock removal. Crazy to think about. 600 and down will start to leave heavier scratches. When I sharpen a carbide blank for engraving I start on a 300 and it removes heavy amounts of material. 1200 to 1500 I think is good for resharpening a dull blade by hand. Depending on how much material needs removed. Even my 2000 grit stone leaves scratches and removes decent material but it preps it for the 3000 plus polish.

But I think that is smart about leaving it unpolished to prevent it from sliding when making the cut. I’d imagine 1500 grit would be good. Wouldn’t go less though. Those links you shared don’t specify the grit but looks between 1400 to 1800. Hard to tell. Looks good though!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You’re right. It’s the way to go saves time and money for sure.

I have 5 stones and anything under 1000 grit is more used for stock removal. Crazy to think about. 600 and down will start to leave heavier scratches. When I sharpen a carbide blank for engraving I start on a 300 and it removes heavy amounts of material. 1200 to 1500 I think is good for resharpening a dull blade by hand. Depending on how much material needs removed. Even my 2000 grit stone leaves scratches and removes decent material but it preps it for the 3000 plus polish.

But I think that is smart about leaving it unpolished to prevent it from sliding when making the cut. I’d imagine 1500 grit would be good. Wouldn’t go less though. Those links you shared don’t specify the grit but looks between 1400 to 1800. Hard to tell. Looks good though!
Yes, I have several stones as well, I use them for my cooking knives. a 150/400 diamond for leveling them, 600 and a 1000/3000 combo Suehiro Cerax. I only use the 3000 for the knives I use for fish. Lately I use the Knifewear black honing rod unless they really need to be sharpened.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have not ordered lately but had really great experiences when I did order.
I’m not a fan of the shears that I got from them but I love the other tools and pouch.
I think they have a satisfaction guarantee so if you don’t like them definitively send them back!

Top Bottom