Almost 30 and not a bonsai yet!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Story my oldest surviving tree : a Japanese mapple grown from seeds (send by a friend in Japan) on my student's room balcony in spring 1991. After that, military service, 2 years in Japan, 6 in Paris, my mother cared for the tree until 2000
First pic in october 2002 : the tree is as fat as a 3 year seedling...
2002-1.jpeg
...but at least it has some mature bark.
2002-2.jpeg

Next repot, 2006

Beginner's classical mistake : cut the tubes too far from the trunk.
2006-1.JPG

One must keep faith even in the face of ugliness. Another mistake : but why did I choose as the new apex a branch growing backward?
2006-2.JPG
(to be continued tomorrow)

This cliffhanger is unacceptable 😑
...but I guess I can wait until the next episodes.

At least growth was good and the root ball had greatly improved.
2009-1.JPG

2009-2.JPG
It has at least to my eyes to major defects : I had left a stump after pruning a branch that had created an ugly round bulge and worse, I had follow an advice read on a famous bonsai site that when doing clip and grow one must make a convex cut and not a concave one as I was doing up to then. It had lead to huge lips around the cut and inverse conicity. Disapointed, I opted for outgrowing the defects and put my tree in a 20 liter pot.

3 years later, I was very satisfied. Growth had been good and most of the defects were on the point of disappearing. Conicity and nebari were good. 25 years after having started (try to)to grow bonsai on my balcony and 10 year spent to very actively grow trees in my own garden, I was on the verge of leaving the « stick in the pot world » for the realm where people care about the details of the canopy !

2012-1.JPG
2011-2.JPG

Alas, during summer 2011, I discovered that a massive dieback had happened right on the front of the tree. This tree was lost for bonsai for at least ten years. I was truly disgusted. Put the tree back in a grow box but didn't had the hear to take pictures.
Pictures 4 years after in its grow box (cat litter tray). It is difficult (at least I didn't succed) to manage maximum growth and branch formation, thus the ugly scars on them. At least, nebari has continued to improve.
dieback_2015.JPG
2015.JPG

Long and windy road indeed.

I see no cutpaste on your trees. You do not use it?

Wow, well done, and to have survived your moves, and changes in life status. Well done, kudos to your mother for keeping it alive while you were an itinerant student.

Yes, this tree is way beyond a stick in a pot. Coming along nicely. Keep us updated.

Ithaka
BY C. P. CAVAFY
TRANSLATED BY EDMUND KEELEY

As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope your road is a long one.
May there be many summer mornings when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbors you’re seeing for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to learn and go on learning from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you’re destined for.
But don’t hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you’re old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you’ve gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you’ll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

Bonsai is not the destination, is the path that you walk. IMHO I believe you have done more bonsai than a person who buy one tree already shaped. Maybe your tree is not finished yet, but a bonsai never already is done, and the know that you had acquired with it, is priceless.

Congratulations, really a good work, and a wonderful journey, thanks for sharing.

cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom