AKA Brian Trident, The punching bag that could

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some of might remember this stump I purchased from Brian, AKA Adam:p, last year. Most of you won't.

When I got it earlier this year, my excitement got the better of my rational judgment. Went ahead with total bareroot and chopped the bottom flat :eek:. I should have waited till next year for the tree to acclimate first but NOPE! Lessened learned!

March 11
1T_root.jpg
2T_root.jpg
3T_root.jpg

I don't know how much I took off but in hindsight, looks to be 90% :confused:. Buds starting to open.
4T_root.jpg

On top of that. It was placed in a bowl way too small :mad:! This was the "cold room" it was in during the crazy spring shuffle. Soil consists of 1/4" pumice+lava 50/50. I thought the soils might try out too fast so I added a layer of pine bark on top. Not really sure if it was beneficial or not. But hey...
5T_leaf.jpg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
After a couple weeks of not doing much, I realized the bowl/pot was a failure on my end. Did a ninja swap to a bigger grow box. And it responded much better.

May 6
6T_leaf.jpg

Now, my concerned is why is this Trident growing so compact? I see all other ones where the shoots are literally feet long. This one seems to want to grow as many leaves as possible. Sorry if the pics are kinda hard to make out. I didn't have a board handy to cover the background.

July 9
7T_leaf.jpg 8T_leaf.jpg

Odd thing is, almost all newer shoots have new leaves coming from the stems of older leaves. But also notice the tips on about half the new growth are drying and dying off. Some new leaves are deformed too. But I heard this is normal? Is this because I beaten up the roots earlier? The tree looks kinda ok ATM but I'm not sure if this is normal.
9T_leaf.jpg

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is one heck of a trunk. Nice work.
Thanks Miker. Really hope this one makes enough roots and grow strong enough to get through this winter. The winters around my localized area have been quite mild these last couple years though.

Fingers crossed!

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Cherish that compact growth! Most maples of all varieties (in my experience) are more than delighted to run on you, and can have internodes from three to four inches apart. Kind of good when you're building bulk to develop the main trunk, not so good when you are trying to develop branches. Often they will not grow where you need them. In addition, on most bonsai you want the branches to begin to fork well before the three to four inch mark. You've got a nice tree. Enjoy working on it.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm not even close to a trident expert having had my four for only a couple of years now. But I'm replying because I'm seeing the same thing on one of mine this year.

Mine was a three foot nursery tree with a trunk about 5/8" that I chopped down to 1.5" tall last year after leaf fall. There was no transplanting or root pruning done. But it's seemed like it's been trying crazy hard to make up for lost wood and leaves this year as a result. The first shoots this spring had enormous leaves, and it's been growing shoots from every leaf base since, so it is covered with growing leaders. Many subsequent leaves have been small and deformed like you describe. The other non-chopped trees have exhibited none of this weird behavior.

Not sure how that applies to your tree with the treatment it received, but it's a piece of the puzzle regardless.

Reaction score
The reason why it is so compact is you removed lots of roots. It's not bad and you will be happy next repot. The black tips of new growth is the same problem. Not enough moisture on a dry day. Let it grow. You might guide the branches on good locations in the right direction, but be careful not to snap them. Let the tree gain some strength. Monitor watering carefully.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe....that a lot of the bushy growth is being fueled by energy that was stored in the thick trunk. That energy is pushing out growth while below the surface the tree is working on developing new roots. The energy job is to build lots of greenery to restock that energy trunk-stored for use, survival, and create the upper level growth to energize the new, and old, roots. My belief is that the two components....above ground foliage and root development compartmentalize while each works to stabilize the tree and survive. As each reaches a stable level of performance the energy fully unites. It looks like the tree is doing the job really well. Anyway....that's my belief....and I have no scientific horticultural proof....just my belief from observation. The tree is rebuilding strength.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the input peeps!

I'm thinking the same a bit. I took off wayyyyy too much roots.

My concern now though is some of the tips on main stems are dying off making it push new growths on corners of older leaves. I'm afraid if those dies too, it may be a slow decline of the tree.

It was placed near N. wall getting morning sun till around 10am. Now it's moved to where it gets sun a bit longer. It's also getting 3x dose Miracle Grow on every Friday evening. And fish emulsion every Monday evening.

Looking at the pic now. It might be suffering from a bit of chlorosis?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the input peeps!

I'm thinking the same a bit. I took off wayyyyy too much roots.

My concern now though is some of the tips on main stems are dying off making it push new growths on corners of older leaves. I'm afraid if those dies too, it may be a slow decline of the tree.

It was placed near N. wall getting morning sun till around 10am. Now it's moved to where it gets sun a bit longer. It's also getting 3x dose Miracle Grow on every Friday evening. And fish emulsion every Monday evening.

Looking at the pic now. It might be suffering from a bit of chlorosis?
Your tree is growing strongly now and likely won't skip a beat going forward. It wouldn't be pushing all that top growth if it didn't have the roots to support it... you're good though I'd personally back off on the weekly super dose of feed( I just give a normal dose) and put some organic feed like plantone on the surface to give the tree a bit at every watering.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3X the dose? That's a waste. Took of too much roots? Look at it, like nothing happened!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Good luck going forward!:):):):):):)

Top Bottom