Air layering resulted in roots only on one side.

starleaf

Seedling
Reaction score
Earlier this spring I was given an air layering of a Japanese maple, it was potted up in potting mix, but part of the roots closest to the trunk were still embedded in sphagnum moss. Since there seemed to be lots of roots filling the pot it came in, I decided to plant it in a planter, as I was doing that I, noticed the moss and carefully removed most of the moss (I don’t think I broke any roots in the process). That’s when I found out only one side of the tree had roots. The tree trunk is only about pencil-thickness.

My question is, would this cause problems for the tree’s health in the long run?

I know doing an air layer where there are no other leaves or branches on the tree below the air layer can be risky. is using a tourniquet wire instead less risky?

Is there another way to encourage more roots on the side that’s missing roots?

At the next repotting you could re-wound the area with no roots, apply rooting hormone and put more sphagnum moss around it.

You could rootgraft the area, although your tree might be too small for it right now.

You could also just pot it up high and cover the area with substrate and hope for the best and check at next repotting if the tree put out any new roots on its own.

At the next repotting you could re-wound the area with no roots, apply rooting hormone and put more sphagnum moss around it.

You could rootgraft the area, although your tree might be too small for it right now.

You could also just pot it up high and cover the area with substrate and hope for the best and check at next repotting if the tree put out any new roots on its own.
Thanks for the suggestions! Will re-wounding only part of it work though, if it can still transfer nutrients around the area that’s still intact?

I had this issue and I'm counting on the plant ground layering itself. Which it seems to be doing.
It's essentially a rooted cutting, and those things tend to produce more roots once they get growing.

I had this issue and I'm counting on the plant ground layering itself. Which it seems to be doing.
It's essentially a rooted cutting, and those things tend to produce more roots once they get growing.
It’s good to know it might produce more roots on its own!

Many people air layer branches that are nearly horizontal. When they do, roots are much more likely to develop on the low side, leaving the high side bare. Might have been what happened with yours.

Many people air layer branches that are nearly horizontal. When they do, roots are much more likely to develop on the low side, leaving the high side bare. Might have been what happened with yours.
That makes a lot of sense!

If I’m understanding correctly, to get more even rooting, people should air layer more horizontal to the ground instead of perpendicular to the branch?

Back
Top Bottom