Air layering Corkbark Elm suggestions.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Humm.. couldn't find a link... could you please help me?
Well.. It is not yet the 22nd of July now, is it :) ?

It will be at one of your preferred, subscribed YT channels of which you have been a frequent visitor ever since it came online my friend.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is a route one could consider if not willing to wait for an airlayer to root.

I am not sure how good successrates are with this. I got 100% rooting but that does not mean everybody gets that. Layering is pretty much fail-proof afaik.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id try for 3 trees. id make 2 from the bends. and id keep the tall upright section as 1 and make it a broom style. Or you could make it 4, depending how you adjust the space between the blue lines. But! at a minimum you will have the base trunk to make a tree from then the top section you could split into 2 or have a tall literati or broom . Ill be interested to see what you come up with, but for me id consider something like this if it wont make the straight sections too hard to manage in the future.

View attachment 498392
If you want to remove the movement in the lower part get a tree with a straight trunk. It is also not completely to my liking but if the movement is there it is what makes this material special so embrace it or acquire a different tree.

For the rest I would airlayer around the upper blue line.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
If you want to remove the movement in the lower part get a tree with a straight trunk. It is also not completely to my liking but if the movement is there it is what makes this material special so embrace it or acquire a different tree.

For the rest I would airlayer around the upper blue line.
Humm..
I guess there is a misunderstanding here.
My original question was, - perhaps my fault -, never about if I should or shouldn't keep the lower twisted part of the tree.
I will keep it for sure.
What came up from the thread was the possiblity of either air layering, or trying a thick cutting from the straight top, to get another tree instead of just chopping it down.

My original view on the matter:
Blue line is the chop.
20230723_173520.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
UPDATE N#2

The tree woke up from dormancy, and it seems very happy.
There are two possibilities here;
either the ring formed a bridge and the layer is ruined, or the layer is successful and we will know it by the end of the Spring.

Let's wait and see.

20230827_085118.jpg

20230827_085107.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is normal, the tree canopy is still feeding off the main roots. As long as those are not severed you should be fine. Unless the tree gets unhappy with the top and decides to cut off the water supply...

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
This is normal, the tree canopy is still feeding off the main roots. As long as those are not severed you should be fine. Unless the tree gets unhappy with the top and decides to cut off the water supply...
Yeap, I guess it will be fine!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Humm..
I guess there is a misunderstanding here.
My original question was, - perhaps my fault -, never about if I should or shouldn't keep the lower twisted part of the tree.

You may already be well ahead of me here, but play with the planting angle for the lower part of the trunk. You've got a lot of interesting options.

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You may already be well ahead of me here, but play with the planting angle for the lower part of the trunk. You've got a lot of interesting options.
You are absolutely right.
After the air layer is separated, let's play with the twisted stump!

Top Bottom