Advice on Southern Live Oak (quercus virginiana)

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is maybe a 10-12 year old tree, I’d guess. It is in a horse / cow field in the 9b-10a border of South Florida. The issue with the tree is that it only gets about an hour of direct light a day. I believe this is the reason the chop recovery has struggled. It’s in dark, rich soil but with poor light conditions. I chopped it on the new year weekend of 2023. It’s been 3.5 months and only two branches in the middle of the trunk. I really do not want to lose the top portion of the trunk if I can help it…

The question is, has anyone had success approach grafting oaks? I’d like to use the stronger branch from the central portion of the trunk to approach graft a new leader in place. Currently the cambium near the top is still alive but I’m scared I might lose it if I wait until next year to see what buds out. It is currently still in the ground in a mostly shaded area.

68929E3C-BE64-472E-BE00-144E66D8FDC8.jpeg

Take it out of the ground in January or February and put it in more sun……

Should you decide to get it out of the ground, watch it closely and do root work just as new buds swell. You have a small window for the best results.

On second glance it looks more like a laurel oak. The best clue would be the trees nearby.
If a laurel then abandon with abandon, they struggle to heal from big wounds.

Check out sand live oaks, q. Geminata from local native nurseries. I find they are better from bonsai and take full sun in small pot better.

Back
Top Bottom