Advice on BUG INFESTATION!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So hears the deal,
If been putting this off for a year or so now and it's to the point where I need to do somthi g about it if I'm going to have more plants and def if I'm going to sell plants...

I have around 30 plants in doors , house plants and bonsai...
I have mealy bugs on a half my stuff but only reeeally bad on a few plants...
Aphids on ( that if seen ) 1 or 2
And maybe mites... but with the wood stove it's had to tell if it's just cob webs on a few plants or webbing from a bug....

So what should I do?
I'm very much against using crazy chemical so if rather not do that...

Should I to replant every thing with new dirt in the spring and spray with soap and been oil ?

Or toss ever thing clean house and start over?

Some of out plants are years and years old and I'd be sad to do the last but I just don't know what to do... and it seems to get a bit wors every winter..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Neem oil will take care of the aphids and mites. Not sure about the mealy bugs. Certainly the soap will take care of the mealy bugs.

I would just spray everything with neem oil first and see how it goes. Neem should also take care of dormant bug eggs.

If you can, take your plants outside to spray them. If it is too cold, consider spraying them in an empty garage. Worst case, spray them in a shower where you can clean up any overspray. ? The neem oil has an odor, so the less you overspray, the better.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neem oil will take care of the aphids and mites. Not sure about the mealy bugs. Certainly the soap will take care of the mealy bugs.

I would just spray everything with neem oil first and see how it goes. Neem should also take care of dormant bug eggs.

If you can, take your plants outside to spray them. If it is too cold, consider spraying them in an empty garage. Worst case, spray them in a shower where you can clean up any overspray. ? The neem oil has an odor, so the less you overspray, the better.
If been doing some rubbing alcohol with water a few times a week ( spraying it on) should I keep doing this?

And what would says a good mix for the neem? Iv been doing about a Tbl spoon to a full spray bottle... but I only use it 1ns every few weeks do to the smell.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For Neem - read the directions on the bottle. If it is sold in the USA for use on plants, it is required to have a label describing directions for use, safety, and which insects it will work on. There are many different concentrations of neem oil available. If the product sold is dilute, you need to use more, if it is concentrated, you need to use less. Can't tell from here which you have. So you will have to read the label. Best to read it before you buy it.

Alcohol & water, add a drop or two of dish soap per quart of alcohol water solution . Or if you have ''wetter - sticker'' surfactant for pesticide sprays, a drop or two of that. Mix then spray. It will make your alcohol solution more effective.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great, thank you both.

Hopefully I can get this under control so I don't have to burn every thing :(

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Neem oil can be on the whimpy side if your bugs are really bad, bayer makes a good systemic that works well. Ive maintained scale with neem but use it at night never during the sunny hours bc it may burn the foliage, alchohol and water works too

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Neem oil can work. And definitely don’t sell plants with bugs...especially across state lines.

I have used some of those sticky yellow strips I hung around the tree area when I had indoor trees. Mostly took care of gnats though.

I’ve also sprayed with a concentrated mixture of liquid dishwashing soap...on inside and outside trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great, thank you both.

Hopefully I can get this under control so I don't have to burn every thing :(

Fire is fun!

Seriously...
"Worse every winter" is the tell tell...

At your point I would use a systemic this once....
Then keep it under control with natural methods in the future.

Unless you are ready to ditch some shit now!

When I had more trees indoors than I actually cared for....bunch a dumb cuttings and newb projects...I would get mites indoors.

Two summers ago I gave away all my crap ficus to the neighbors party goers...
Haven't had mites indoors since....

NoNoNo...

I just realized this right now...

Truth is, it's cause that's the first year they all went outside for summer....

Mites don't like hard ficus leaves, Only indoor ones!

last winter I didn't have mites at all until after I brought some early spring work inside...

this year....still no mites!

lower your numbers so everything can be outside in summer and you will win the battle!

Sorce

Top Bottom