Adventurous buds - Pine tree

These guys are back budding very well now. I'm happy to see them showing new buds in older wood. Actually pretty happy with all of my bonsai and garden plants, the long winter seems to have done well for them as they are going well now, and on the low branches they're revealing buds at the base of the candle as well.

The top candles on the pines are extended 6-8" at the moment, not sure what is truly 'a lot' but that seems pretty good.

The Korean Hornbeam I repotted is very happy as well, with new shoots all over the place.

6 to 8 inches of candle on a tree is a lot. I've seen more, but that's a big candle.

How long are the others?

If your trees are where you want then, and you want to start refining them, then break those long candles in half. You'll be removing them completely in a month or so, but by shortening them now you will be directing some of the trees energy to weaker portions of the tree. Part of "balancing".

If, on the other hand, you want to build trunk girth, let them be.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. The one with the longest candles is in the ground, the but other two have some pretty decent sized candles (maybe 4") out of the apex.

Sorry for the delay;

This is one I snapped last year while wiring;

My juniper seems to have finally forgiven me for last years misdeeds;

This one will probably remain a garden tree, I think I will cut the top and encourage the apex to branch out when it is about 8-10' tall.

My hornbeam,

Natal plum,

Drawf Cherry

I'm letting pretty much everything go until late June before pruning, I think the tropicals need some time to put out good growth before getting cut back.

Got that one on the rack I see. Has it given up any secrets yet? Maybe another turn of the screw and it will start talking.

Back
Top Bottom