Acorns on Live Oak!

My live oak bonsai of 5 years finally is happy enough to produce acorns. There are probably 20-25 on the tree. I'm curious to see if they grow to normal size.

View attachment 549558
I get these on mine all the time. Keeping them all can force a branch to decline if there are too many on it. I remove most of them. They take quite a bit of energy to grow. I'd rather have that energy in the branching. Also, squirrels are an issue as well. They will bug the shit out of the tree in the fall. They may also take care of themselves by dropping off prematurely. Many of these develop to about this stage then the tree abandons them. They do grow to normal size if they persist long enough.

My live oak bonsai of 5 years finally is happy enough to produce acorns. There are probably 20-25 on the tree. I'm curious to see if they grow to normal size.

View attachment 549558
I can see that your live oak is healthy by 1) No juvenile leaves and 2) Elongated mature leaves.
My live oak bonsai in the past have shorter mature leaves when they were under stress.

Back
Top Bottom