ABS Journal cover

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I got my ABS Journal the other day and I must admit the guy wires on the magnificent Hinoki on the cover bothered me. It would have been so easy to photoshop them out. As long as it is only background stuff and nothing on the tree itself was changed, I would have no objections. One should certainly explain what was done in the photo credits, but given that I see nothing unethical about it.

So, what do you guys think?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't have it but based on your description, I would agree with you.

I do see the positive on this also...it can (as in this case) be a conversation starter. Imagine a person who knows nothing about bonsai commenting on it. ;) Just like Walter Pall's stolen bonsai thread, I learned a great technique on his posted pic of what I will term as "cage of guy wires". Probably not intended but the idea is "accidentally" shared.

Also, in the same line of thinking, should wires be edited out? Where do you stop?

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Also, in the same line of thinking, should wires be edited out? Where do you stop?

The slippery slope argument is probably the biggest concern but I would say no tree or pot modifications is a pretty clear limit. I think as a practical matter that would rule out trying to edit wires. I don't know why, but wires don't bother me.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oops, sorry, Walter Pall's thread of stolen bonsai is in IBC. I got mixed up.

Top Bottom