A shot of my bench . . . not impressive

Reaction score
I just figured I'd throw out there a shot of my bench. I figured if I was doing something wrong (or could be doing something better) you guys could mention it to me. Thanks.

IMG_20120301_181222.jpg

Your right, the "bench" is not that impressive. But the trees, they look pretty good. Couple of what look like pines show great promise. How about posting some better pics of those.

Al

I'd be happy to post a few close ups of the pines, in particular. The deciduous trees (one maple, two oaks, one chinese elm, one cork bark elm) don't have much to show atm, but I'd be happy to post what I have if you want to see them.

I'll snap a few pics tomorrow when there is more light available, and try to post them tomorrow after work.

Exactly what my first bench looked like, except I think I had the cinder blocks three-high so they were just a bit easier to see and water. Careful...it can spiral out of control:rolleyes:
IMAGE_565E9167-C1BA-43D4-9D8C-63629CA59B12.JPG

I was contemplating building a nicer bench. Particularly one that had slats, and didn't pool water underneath the plant. I haven't gotten to that point just yet though, as most of what I have are just sticks and don't really warrant anything nice. And you know how it goes, if you are going to build it, do it right . . .

What am I looking at? It almost looks like a duck blind :) There is a ladder going somewhere...

The bench itself looks a little like several of mine... but I use tiered concrete blocks to create two shelves. Concrete blocks and 2x8's make great benches for not too much money!

Looks like a free standing play/club house for the kids to me.

You know now that I think about it, which did come first? The bonsai or the bench?

Here are a few shots of the plants I have, from left to right:

A Japanese Red Maple that I picked up from Home Depot for $15 . . . not sure what I'm going to do with it.

IMG_20120302_165441.jpg

IMG_20120302_165450.jpg

It has a JBP seedling companion, for the time being.

Next is an Oak seedling. I forget the variety. I got it as a graduation present from the school. Elon University (Elon is the hebrew word for Oak) has a tradition to give an Oak seedling to each graduate, so you can plant it and watch it grow, much like your education . . . or something like that. I took two. One to put in soil, the other to turn into a bonsai (eventually). Here is the soil one. (Smaller, black, middle pot)

IMG_20120302_165506.jpg

IMG_20120302_165500.jpg

This one is a Chinese Elm that I got last spring. I messed up and left it outside year round. I thought my climate was warm enough to do that, but apparently not. Uncertain how much damage has been done to it yet . . .

IMG_20120302_165523.jpg

And here is the second Oak. I put it in an Air Pot . . . mainly to experiment.

IMG_20120302_165535.jpg

I would like to get the trunk thick and do a formal upright. We are, obviously, talking MANY years down the road though.

Next is my first JBP. I got it off ebay for $20 (I think) like 3 or 4 years ago. I mainly wanted to see if I could keep it alive. I havn't really been trimming it (almost at all), but I did repot it last year.

IMG_20120302_165549.jpg

IMG_20120302_165603.jpg

The moss has clearly taken over . . . need to do something about that . . .

IMG_20120302_165610.jpg

I like it because it is my first pine, but it really doesn't have much potential (at least, that I can see).

Here are a few random pine seedlings that I got. One on the left is a JWP, middle is a JRP (Or so I was told).

IMG_20120302_165626.jpg

One in the middle (net pot) is a JBP, and one on the right is another JRP.

IMG_20120302_165648.jpg

And a second JBP in a net pot.

IMG_20120302_165653.jpg

Here is a cork bark oak that I got last year. It was tiny, and I decided to grow it out a bit to thicken the trunk (also to get rid of the $0.99 store looking spiral, if possible).

IMG_20120302_165701.jpg

IMG_20120302_165709.jpg

Here is a second JWP, followed by some JBP seedlings (of which I screwed up). I added too much peat moss to my mix, per a store attendant's suggestion. Due to our hot summers, I thought this was smart. But our damp fall ended up providing too much moisture this way. Live and learn :D

IMG_20120302_165718.jpg

And lastly, the real bonsai I got, the JBP (of which a different thread is about).

IMG_20120302_165732.jpg

Growing some JBP, JWP, and JRP side by side from seedlings is interesting. I've noticed that the JBP are taking off, the JRP are slow and steady, and the JWP are very slow growers. Perhaps my conditions arn't optimal though . . . .

As you can see from those pictures, I need some help producing internodal branching. They are running for the sky, with little branching inbetween. If I just keep chopping the top, will that work? I also need to start adding some movement in the main stem of these seedings.

You have something really cool there......lots of pines to mess with and learn from. Then you can apply the "action and reaction" to the last Black Pine, which is very nice. What kind of substrate are you using? It all looks different. You might want to find a "recipe" from someone successful in your area and apply to all the plants to make life easier.

What kind of substrate are you using?

The last JBP is still in the substrate the original owner had it in. Mostly lava stones and pumice. The Chinese Elm is also still in the original substrate, mostly peatmoss from the looks of it. And one of the Oaks is just in soil, as a form of experimentation.

The rest of them are in the same, or very similar, substrate. A local nursery store employee (and bonsai aficionado) suggesting using a particular mixture that he had success with, also in Greensboro. It's a mixture of permatill, dry stall, oil dry, a little bit of sand, and some peat moss. He suggested the peat moss since we have such hot summers. He found it difficult to maintain them during the summer without peat moss, unless he watered three times a day. I kicked the peat moss back, but took the rest of his suggestions.

Brian VF,
Now that is impressive, love the rock and the space to step back and see

, more please !

Back
Top Bottom