A mighty mini

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Shirts/moss are used to keep the soil moist longer in dry environments, or to trick a tree into thinking its deeper in the ground. Its a good idea to use that technique on a tree moved from the field into a pot. Its also good if you are not going to be around in time to water, as it will extend the window. Otherwise, no need for it.
Mycorrhizae supplement is not needed. It should produce on its own, as needed, in a healthy environment. People use it on pines to speed up the recovery process following repotting, but it will produce on its own in due time.
If you water and feed properly you don't need soil, period. You can bareroot a maple and grow it with no soil under a misting system.
If you want to focus on the roots then put this tree in a smaller pot.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally suspect that myc is every bit as important to maple as it is to pines. The thing is is that it is often endo associated with many maples as opposed to ecto with pines and others. Endo are not as visible so their importance is underrated, people don't even realize it's there.
It may be present in every maple bonsai on the planet for all we know, even soilless trees like Don mentioned. It is often transmitted from the parent tree into the seeds, it can there before the seed even germinates.

Cool little Mini!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea.I like experimenting too.It is totally growing on this maple.You can see it already.So,hey.If I have a big fluffy white root pad next spring....that's cool with me:rolleyes:

Thanks,is a great little tree.

Top Bottom