A little different approach

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I saw this san jose 3 tier topiary on a business trip in Brunswick some time last year. I thought it had some character so why not try to create something out of it ($35 on the discount rack isn't too bad). It was very root-bound and severely dry so the first thing I did was pull it out of its pot and put it into something larger, and bring it back to health.

The tree responded very well this year with new growth all over and I tried to let it grow with some minimal pinching at the apex of the tree(not seen from these photos). Also removed a ton of dead dried up material from the interior of the limbs. I had some natural deadwood that I opened up a bit yesterday and put lime-sulphur on(still need to clean it off)

I am planning on air layering the top off of this right above the curve this spring. Thought about waiting until it was separated to post it from fear of criticism, but then I got over it. Nevertheless, here he be.

sanjosetopiary.jpg

sanjosetopiary2.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
There is a very heavy branch at the back of this tree that would be a great branch but I feel it has an obvious front so I am not sure it will work in the grand scheme of things. I plan on keeping the branch for a while until I decide that it is absolutely imperative to remove it.

Another problem that I have is that there isn't any foliage where the tree begins that sharp turn to the right, at the apex.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
The Japanese will design a whole tree just from one branch preferably at the top.
They dont use many branches when styling ground grown, rough material junipers.2-3 and from that all the stairways to heaven are created.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well I purchased 9 Shinjuku in 6" pots, and the dealer threw in an extra. I must say I was surprised at the size of the trunks. I will use these to graft onto the branches and also create a new apps where the trunk curves back.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Well I purchased 9 Shinjuku in 6" pots, and the dealer threw in an extra. I must say I was surprised at the size of the trunks. I will use these to graft onto the branches and also create a new apps where the trunk curves back.

What is Shinjuku?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Haha. Just noticed my auto correct of shimpaku. That is some funny stuff.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a topiary Torulosa/Hollywood Juniper for the trunk. Grafted it w/ shimpaku and now waiting to see if they take.

It is one of my long term projects. :)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just wanted to update this thread. As it is spring. Chopped the very top of the topiary off this winter. Pulled some branches down further with guy wires, and started a graft to help improve the apex. This tree isn't without its problems. There are three lower branches. The first branch I want to be to the left is a bar branch to the next opposing branch. I like this branch because of its thickness and character, however there is a thinner branch below it that I may use because it is not a bar branch to the next one. Thoughts? Also I plan on jinning the top because obviously it is the only option unless I want to make a larger tree, which I don't. My vision is a tree that got hit by lighting, thus the dead top and shari down the middle and jinned branches.

Attachments

• Sanjosetopiaryspring2014.jpg
    Sanjosetopiaryspring2014.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 28
  • sanjosetopiaryspring14-2.jpg
    sanjosetopiaryspring14-2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 32
  • sanjosetopiaryspring14-3.jpg
    sanjosetopiaryspring14-3.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 24
  • sanjosetopiaryspring14-4.jpg
    sanjosetopiaryspring14-4.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 22

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here is what I am thinking

Attachments

• sanjosetopiaryfuture.jpg
    sanjosetopiaryfuture.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 22

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Nice plans....Nice tree...lots of fun ahead.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your plan is exactly what I would do if it were mine. People usually graft new foliage onto these don't they? Are you planning on keeping the natural foliage?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Your plan is exactly what I would do if it were mine. People usually graft new foliage onto these don't they? Are you planning on keeping the natural foliage?

I do have about 9 three year old shimpaku cuttings. I think I am going to work on getting the main branch placement first then I will think about grafting. That is what most people would do but I am thinking about keeping it as a needle juniper just because it is different

Top Bottom