A Japanese maple

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I figured today was as good a day as any to start a thread on this tree... it was almost 60 F and the maples in the cold room are bound to wake up sooner or later and this one was on the list of re-pots this year. It originally came from Kennett Bonsai and fell off the back of Tyler Sherrod's truck late one spring afternoon after a great day of working trees... Tyler absolutely knew when to make his pitch. Anyway, I always wanted a big palmatum and this one had a trunk with movement, taper, minimal scarring and a great root spread. The back of the root spread was wanting, but the previous owner had begun improvements with a bunch of root grafts.

IMG_6581.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

The shallow oval is potentially a future pot for this one, but to get there, the roots are going to need a lot of work. This nice Koyo rectangle will be a good training pot until the roots are ready.

IMG_6650.jpgIMG_6651.jpg
It was planted in a large mica rectangle in a mix of lava, expanded shale and granite- as a side note, I've seen lots of folks putting crushed granite into their mix... if they are, I doubt they're doing meaningful root work because if they were doing the work, they'd never put it into their soil as it's absolute hell on their root cutting tools... but I digress! I popped it out of the pot and began working the root ball down.

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6656.jpgIMG_6657.jpgIMG_6659.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpg
    IMG_6655.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In order to get the roots into a shallow container effectively, the root ball has to be as flat as possible. That means carving back the bottom of the trunk... truthfully, I figured a tree this developed wouldn't have needed this but it did.

IMG_6660.jpgIMG_6662.jpgIMG_6663.jpg

Getting there...

IMG_6664.jpg

I added a few approach root grafts for good measure then finished... that's when I realized that I had either misplaced my bale of sphagnum moss or left it in GA. I'll get some tomorrow to cover the akadama.

IMG_6665.jpgIMG_6666.jpgIMG_6667.jpgIMG_6668.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That appears to be an excellent pick.
Whoever developed this one has done a great job. No long, straight sections on either trunk or branches. None of the usual thickening on the trunk where too many branches grew close. Great branch structure.

I've found you are never finished cutting back under the trunk. I've cut most of mine back a number of times similar to what you've shown here. The cuts you made this time will callus over. On mine the callus gets progressively thicker and eventually needs reducing again in a few years.

Look forward to seeing this on in leaf.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. Consider a graft to right of trunk between soil line and first branch?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree. Consider a graft to right of trunk between soil line and first branch?
Interesting thought. I hadn’t considered that. Anyways, it could be a moot point since I guy wired some downward movement into the lower branches to create more pads and give a more natural appearance to the branching… still lots of work to do but on the right track I think.
By the way, if anybody can tell me where to buy Michigan long fibered sphagnum moss… And southern Michigan… Let me know :).
131B7D19-8221-470A-806B-594ACBF279D7.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one got kicked off the workshop benches and onto this custom redneck rubbermaid stand (40 gallon trash can full of water) by the arctic cold front that forced me to bring in all the JBP that had overwintered inside... 14 F tonight! I've been wiring this one in between repots, trying to get more movement in the existing branching but I've run out of time as the buds have progressed to the point where I'm beginning to knock them off... should'a been done last fall :rolleyes: . Anyway, I thought the tree looked cool back lit and it saved my back from moving it to my new photo booth! All I know is photos don't lie and the middle upper left side of the canopy needs work:).

IMG_6776.jpgIMG_6777.jpgIMG_6778.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see what your saying, but, this is one of the baddest Japanese maples I’ve seen in a hot min!!! I must have missed any pics in full leaf, I’m sure it looks great!!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see what your saying, but, this is one of the baddest Japanese maples I’ve seen in a hot min!!! I must have missed any pics in full leaf, I’m sure it looks great!!!
Thanks! Here's a pic from last July after the canopy had been thinned. It'll be in full leaf within a month for sure and I'm excited to see it popping. Still, I want this one to pop even more when it's nekked ;) . See how foliage does a great job hiding the flaws in the upper left canopy... let's hope it's not as noticeable next fall.

IMG_5634.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stunning tree @Dav4!

Next up an update on your big ROR trident please! 😉
Soon, I hope. It spent the winter outside. When I was breaking down my makeshift cold frame, I noticed that the rock was wobbling a lot more then I remembered... and I know there was mice activity there over the winter, even though I took out at least 10 of them with spring traps. The buds and twigs look healthy and not desiccated . Any way, I pulled it into the workshop in hopes that it'll wake up soon and I can see what's going on under the soil. If there's no update in the next month... :oops: .

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you get those tacks youre using for the grafts? Can’t find the, anywhere!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Excellent post. I learn a lot from reading posts like this one. Thanks Dave.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree and beer!

kind of mind blown at the root work you did on this.
Healthy maples can be very aggressively root worked. Honestly, I could have easily removed another 25% but went light as it's a new tree to me and I'm in a new climate. Anyway, if you think I was aggressive here, check out this thread... just look at the pictures :) ... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/35-japanese-maple-project.14475/

Top Bottom