A huge Bougainvillea at the guest house

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was sad to see they in the past two years have taken to hard pruning this Bougainvillea. It once had graceful branches and a lovely canopy.
The photos of the tree behind the fence I placed a Gatorade bottle beside right of trunk for size comparison.
This was the tree that enevibally started my bonsai path...it was my inspiration. Being in bloom the first time there in Honduras
20180627_174835.jpg20180627_151735.jpg20180627_151631.jpg20180627_152034.jpg

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks a lot for putting the bottle there, I could tell this was a big one, but dayumn!!!! That's gotta be the thickest bougie-trunk I've ever seen (and I'm obsessed w/ these guys lol :D )

I was sad to see they in the past two years have taken to hard pruning this Bougainvillea. It once had graceful branches and a lovely canopy.
FWIW, there's all levels of hard-pruning (I know you know this of course!) and what they did to that shouldn't make much difference, with that large of a trunk, that many primaries coming off it at the thickness they are, it's going to be capable of covering that roof with vines in 1yr if you pushed it to!

This was the tree that enevibally started my bonsai path...it was my inspiration. Being in bloom the first time there in Honduras
Hehe that's kinda how I started, it was seeing giant bougies on Adamaskwhy's site (great site, fwiw!!) and learning that you could actually 'harvest' mature ones from the ground to turn into bonsai, I was immediately out scouting/hunting for mature bougies :D

Top Bottom