A few different black pines

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I sat around after the holidays, I figured I should add some project trees on here. None of these are future show stoppers, just some good material I can get at a fair price for my family budget. There are 2 regular JBP, 1 kotobuki, and 1 yatsubusa JBP. The first regular jbp I have a nice shohin started, just need to shorten branches and gain some vigour. The second jbp I am thinking will be a medium sized tree, informal or slanting.shohin1.jpgshohin2.jpgshohin4.jpgshohin5.jpgshohin6.jpg
IMG_7880.JPGjbp 2.JPGIMG_7572.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7879.JPG
    IMG_7879.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 171
  • jbp 1.JPG
    jbp 1.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 198

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The kotobuki is a funky little tree. I like it because it reminds me of the more sparse old trees I remember seeing in some chinese books. I am not well versed enough to go into great debate as to what is more penjing, or bonsai, but I know I dig this tree. It is slanting, but maybe that could change in the future. I am looking forward to getting it amped up this coming summer.IMG_7883.JPGIMG_7884.JPGIMG_7886.JPGkotobuki slant 1.JPGkotobuki slant 2.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The yatsubusa is a weird one, this will be fun for me to try out. I would like to attempt what I see as a unorthodox twin trunk, or large semi cascading main branch. I was inspired by a tree at Mirai, and a tree I believe belongs to Matt Smith and was styled by Mauro. Here are the two inspirationsmirai twin.jpgMatt Smith cascade.jpg
and my ugly duckling plucked in the winter look!yat1.jpgyat2.jpgyat3.jpgyatsabusa 1.JPG

Attachments

• yat.jpg
    yat.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 139

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Wilson,
Congratulation to your new trees. They are looked very nice.
I love the trunk line of Kotobuki.
Yatsubusa is one of the nice blank pines because it can give you a lot of shoots from one cut. Believe me, it will keep you very busy! :)
I wonder if the 1st JBP is getting fungal infection.
Thụ Thoại

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
None of these are future show stoppers, just some good material I can get at a fair price for my family budget.
I'm looking at the photo named 'Shohin4.jpg'.
Where do you find subjects, such as this, that fit into a family budget? I'm interested!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Wilson,
Congratulation to your new trees. They are looked very nice.
I love the trunk line of Kotobuki.
Yatsubusa is one of the nice blank pines because it can give you a lot of shoots from one cut. Believe me, it will keep you very busy! :)
I wonder if the 1st JBP is getting fungal infection.
Thụ Thoại
Thanks for the encouragement! The first tree the shohin is actually the only new tree to me, and yes it looks stressed. I purchased it from a gentleman who was ending his pursuits in bonsai. It is definetly in need of being boosted up. Would you use just a copper treatment, or something else? Your knowledge and help are always very valued! I actually had your trees in mind when I started with the kotobuki, I love the shape of it's growth. I don't have experience with yatsubusa, but I enjoy the appearance of its foliage. I find it maintains a smoother bark longer than regular JBP.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking at the photo named 'Shohin4.jpg'.
Where do you find subjects, such as this, that fit into a family budget? I'm interested!
It isn't easy finding money for our hobbies with big kids in the house, but I am lucky to live in a place that is somewhat of bubble.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Wilson,
"]Thanks for the encouragement! The first tree the shohin is actually the only new tree to me, and yes it looks stressed. I purchased it from a gentleman who was ending his pursuits in bonsai. It is definetly in need of being boosted up. Would you use just a copper treatment, or something else? Your knowledge and help are always very valued!
You are very welcome and thank you for your kind words!
Yes, I would use copper alternative with lime sulfur solution. You should separate this pine from other pines until it is more healthier.

I actually had your trees in mind when I started with the kotobuki, I love the shape of it's growth.
Ah, you prefer naturalistic bonsai! :)

I don't have experience with yatsubusa, but I enjoy the appearance of its foliage. I find it maintains a smoother bark longer than regular JBP.
It is very easy to be trained but need more time.
Thụ Thoại

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You might want to start using a systemic fungicide on your JBP. It fungus attacks new needles as they grow, so applying it to the soil when the buds start to swell is perfect.

I use the Bonide INFUSE Granular fungicide. About a teaspoon in the spring and another a couple weeks after I decandle in the summer.

Seems to really help.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Wilson,
"]Thanks for the encouragement! The first tree the shohin is actually the only new tree to me, and yes it looks stressed. I purchased it from a gentleman who was ending his pursuits in bonsai. It is definetly in need of being boosted up. Would you use just a copper treatment, or something else? Your knowledge and help are always very valued!
You are very welcome and thank you for your kind words!
Yes, I would use copper alternative with lime sulfur solution. You should separate this pine from other pines until it is more healthier.

I actually had your trees in mind when I started with the kotobuki, I love the shape of it's growth.
Ah, you prefer naturalistic bonsai! :)

I don't have experience with yatsubusa, but I enjoy the appearance of its foliage. I find it maintains a smoother bark longer than regular JBP.
It is very easy to be trained but need more time.
Thụ Thoại

I am keeping this little guy in a different greenhouse than my other pines, he is in the sick ward! I use copper regularly with my other pines, but systemics are harder to come by up here. Lime sulfur as foliar treatment, I will start that as well!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might want to start using a systemic fungicide on your JBP. It fungus attacks new needles as they grow, so applying it to the soil when the buds start to swell is perfect.

I use the Bonide INFUSE Granular fungicide. About a teaspoon in the spring and another a couple weeks after I decandle in the summer.

Seems to really help.
I wish I could just head down to the store to pick some up, but our governments seem too eager to impose their rules. I need to drive to the Vt to get it!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For JBP good potential for great trees. Better by far than stick in pot;).

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice pine trees dude!
I love the leaning kotobuki....looks like its leaning out over water.
Those kotobuki are awesome!
Can I ask where you obtained it?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice pine trees dude!
I love the leaning kotobuki....looks like its leaning out over water.
Those kotobuki are awesome!
Can I ask where you obtained it?
We are spoiled here in southern Québec as there is our french version of Mr.Miyagi! A gentleman who has been cultivating trees for bonsai for around 40 years. All my material from him is $100 or less.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It isn't easy finding money for our hobbies with big kids in the house, but I am lucky to live in a place that is somewhat of bubble.

Have kids get paper routes or job at McDonalds, etc for own spending money, learning financial responsibility. Giving you freedom to get something better than JBP to work on;).

Top Bottom