9 Tree's Japanese Maple WIP/blog

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello I have desided to start a WIP on my Jaenese Maple's bought from Greenwood Bonsai.
this is going tobe a record of jobs done and hopfully along the way some advice.

So this is what the tree's looked like when I bought them on the 1st July 2023

20230701_120051.jpg

Corin did say I could trim the new growth NOW I really don't know where the time has gone. well 17 days after pick up I got around to triming the new growth back. So this is what the tree's look like now

20230717_143229.jpg

all I have done is used naruko 5-5-5 Fert and watered when I think it needs it (Not every day and never at the same time).
I am waitting for my 60% shading to arrive (netting) and then the tree's will be moved to a brighter area of the garden I will upload a image later off area and the chosen pot this display is going in next year

I've found my pot (shed) but not sure if it's the right pot of the forest ? we will see I wouldn't mind a pot used in Drew's forest but finding it hard to find one but I have a while to find one I like.

20230717_171110.jpg

Looking for a cream one

This is a rack I made some time ago needs jet washing and netting added as this area get's full sun from 12.00 until late plus the wind is a issue come from the left and head on in the winter months

20230717_170927.jpg

The rack is on wheels and sitting on a concreat base with water butt and a water tap for auto watering

this is the pot I think I would like image taken from @Drew forest post ( hope you don't mind Drew)

IMG_1832.jpg

If anyone knows where best to source a pot like this please send me details

Unglazed pots are versatile and the earth brown blends with pretty much anything, conifers or deciduous. Regarding pot vendors: Chinamist, Erin pottery, Walsall ceramics, I cant remember the rest, a google search for bonsai pots UK should throw up some results. Kaizen bonsai usually has a few pots to choose from.

So, 9 Japanese Maple's has now become 13 Japanese Maples I will add photos' tomorrow But now I'm wondering if I've bitten more than I can chew Not found a pot yet still looking

Walsall ceramics size is about right 55cm is their biggest oval pot they produce I'm going to make enquires after my holiday

I have started to use low Nitrogen Fertilizer to start giving the roots of my trees more/the right nutrients for winter.

You might as consider a Mica pot. They're a plastic-like material but look like a bonsai pot and they make some rather large forest planting pots. This would give you some time to train the forest without needing to settle on a pot too early.

@Pandacalar I might do that as the unglazed pot in this thread is no more it smashed sad sad day I know heron sell large Mica pots I will look at there sizes

So Today I finished water irrigation o my maples I have also moved them. The trees are out of 80% of the wind and get full sun from 9am to 3 ish pm I now have two questions as I'm going away for 10 days

Question 1
Are the trees to close to the wall

Question 2
I would like an extra week or two to fine tune the watering but hay I've run out of time. is it better JUST FOR THE NEXT 10 DAYS to have too much water or if it fails no water

20230830_201055.jpg20230830_201103.jpg

Q1: no, that's ok for now IMO. Can they get rain in that place?
Q2: I don't know the wheather forcast for the coming 10 days in your area but it's better to have too much water for that period of time than to have no water at all.

I think those trees are potted in a regular potting mix which can hold a lot of moisture so maybe those trees don't need to be watered every day during the 10 days.

Here's a Japanese Maple forest at the collection I volunteer for. It's not trimmed at the moment - just getting through the summer heat. I estimate it has about 30 trunks, so a bit bigger than they one you're contemplating. The thing I like about it is the mounded center and the outward angle of the trunks at the edges. With more than a few trunks I think it gets a bit boring if they all are straight up and down.

maple forest.jpg

So Today I finished water irrigation o my maples I have also moved them. The trees are out of 80% of the wind and get full sun from 9am to 3 ish pm I now have two questions as I'm going away for 10 days

Question 1
Are the trees to close to the wall

Question 2
I would like an extra week or two to fine tune the watering but hay I've run out of time. is it better JUST FOR THE NEXT 10 DAYS to have too much water or if it fails no water

View attachment 505912View attachment 505914
FWIW, up against a wall isn't the greatest location for trees, even if there is a foot of space between the wall and the plants. Bricks are "heat sinks" and reflectors. Heat sinks absorb heat during the day and give it off at night, like radiators. Light colored brick also tends to reflect heat away towards anything in front of it. The more sun the wall gets, the worse things are.

FWIW, up against a wall isn't the greatest location for trees, even if there is a foot of space between the wall and the plants. Bricks are "heat sinks" and reflectors. Heat sinks absorb heat during the day and give it off at night, like radiators. Light colored brick also tends to reflect heat away towards anything in front of it. The more sun the wall gets, the worse things are.
Do I have to move my bonsai or can I put up 70% shade behind the tree's to mask the sun heating up the walls??

Back
Top Bottom